The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Say What!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
WASHINGTON (AP) - About one-third of the people living in the national's capital are functionally illiterate, compared with about one-fifth nationally, according to a report on the District of Columbia.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=......rticle=1
POOF!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
R U sur? I wundar Y that mite be? LOL

Best,

Tim
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I know how hard it is for people to put food on their families. And, is our kids learning?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That should be 'say what???' rather than 'say what!!!'. You may want to check the definition for 'functional illiterate' and you may not be as surprised. The number should be zero by the way, 80/20 applies most the time but shouldn't here, it is a shame.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It also takes in the vast population of non-English speakers that inhabit DC.
I'd be Illiterate in France. (but I'd smell nice)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The 2005 census reports that the per capita income for Washington DC was $28,659. About 16.7% of families and 20.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.1% of those under age 18 and 16.4% of those over age 65. The problem with DC is the disparity between the poor and the rich - if you are poor and live in a bad area then life will be tough in DC, but if you are well-to-do and live in a good area then it is fine.

One of the primary reasons for the lack of literacy is attributed to the growing number of hispanic and ethiopian immigrants in the city that are not proficient in English.

During the violent crime wave of the early 1990s, Washington, D.C. was known as the "murder capital" of the United States. On July 11, 2006, Metropolitan Police Chief Charles H. Ramsey declared a "crime emergency" in the city in response to a rising homicide rate.

I have a friend who lives in that area, and they tell me that DC public schools are terrible, but the private schools are great. On the other hand, the D.C. metropolitan area is the most educated area in the U.S. and also the richest area in the U.S.. It has Museums second only to New York, vibrant cultural life and great economy.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Kregg, are you a Freeper by any chance?
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 19:46, Doug Higley wrote:
It also takes in the vast population of non-English speakers that inhabit DC.


Immigrants account for part of DCs high illiteracy rate, but the bulk of it is attributable to the vast concentration of politicians.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 23:54, Bob Clayton wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-19 19:46, Doug Higley wrote:
It also takes in the vast population of non-English speakers that inhabit DC.


Immigrants account for part of DCs high illiteracy rate, but the bulk of it is attributable to the vast concentration of politicians.

LOL.
Also very funny to me was that with 5% of the world's population The United States are home to 70% of the world's lawyers. Think that may also have an influnece?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
MAK,
The only social groups I belong to (not including a "capitalist pig") are SAG and IBM.

I suppose it's unlikely that most of the residence of DC aren't fluent in BS.

To quote my brother, "Who teached you how to talk?"

Kregg
POOF!
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
If you remember when George W. Bush was running against Al Gore, Bush said that "Education is not my priority" (paraphrased).
Bush has kept his promise.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 08:44, irossall wrote:
If you remember when George W. Bush was running against Al Gore, Bush said that "Education is not my priority" (paraphrased).
Bush has kept his promise.
Iven Smile


Yep, because we all know everybody could read and write until George Bush became President. How can you say such things? I mean you and folksing, it's silly.

The literacy rates in DC area schools have nothing to do with the President. Washington DC is a Democratic utopia. They have had their way in the Mayors office forever. The local politics is overwhelming Democratic, including the Scool Boards. They have had CARTE BLANCHE to run that city exactly the way they see fit, with basically no opposition whatsoever. And Washingon DC is a filthy, violent, stinking rathole of a city because of it. Just they way they like it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
D.C. only highlights where public education is heading. Grade point averages have been in decline since the formation of the Department of Education. I've always said, 'You cannot educate a public. you can only inform or misinform a public. You can, however, educate individuals.'

At nine our son was reading above the tenth grade level. At 12 he received the Duke Tip honors, scoring well over the national average on both SAT & ACT ( he works very hard).
Early on we sacrificed luxuries (no cable TV, Missed vacations, one car) to raise the tuition for him to attend private schools. We are and always have been involved in his growth as an individual.

Accountability. If student/parents squander the gift of education a community gives to them. I believe the parents of that child should be held accountable for their lack of effort. And return the money to the community.
POOF!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 09:39, kregg wrote:
D.C. only highlights where public education is heading. Grade point averages have been in decline since the formation of the Department of Education. I've always said, 'You cannot educate a public. you can only inform or misinform a public. You can, however, educate individuals.'

At nine our son was reading above the tenth grade level. At 12 he received the Duke Tip honors, scoring well over the national average on both SAT & ACT ( he works very hard).
Early on we sacrificed luxuries (no cable TV, Missed vacations, one car) to raise the tuition for him to attend private schools. We are and always have been involved in his growth as an individual.

Accountability. If student/parents squander the gift of education a community gives to them. I believe the parents of that child should be held accountable for their lack of effort. And return the money to the community.

AMEN.
As a teacher I can not stress how important parental involvement is. I have to say though that students are not inspired by what their parents do but much rather by what their parents are. If the parents are educated and treat education as important the children take it seriously but it is the exception to the rule that uneducated people's children become highly educated. Don't get angry and give me 20 examples to the contrary. I am talking about the average. Parents should shoulder more of the responsibility for their childrens education.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 09:01, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 08:44, irossall wrote:
If you remember when George W. Bush was running against Al Gore, Bush said that "Education is not my priority" (paraphrased).
Bush has kept his promise.
Iven Smile


Yep, because we all know everybody could read and write until George Bush became President. How can you say such things? I mean you and folksing, it's silly.

The literacy rates in DC area schools have nothing to do with the President. Washington DC is a Democratic utopia. They have had their way in the Mayors office forever. The local politics is overwhelming Democratic, including the Scool Boards. They have had CARTE BLANCHE to run that city exactly the way they see fit, with basically no opposition whatsoever. And Washingon DC is a filthy, violent, stinking rathole of a city because of it. Just they way they like it.


I never said the President was responsible. But it does indicate the attitude of the President who could have some positive influence on our educational institutions.
Do you deny the President said this? Do you also deny that the President is a role model and such a statement heard by our youth could have a negative effect on some of our "at risk" students?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
You are mistaking the candidate for the President of the United States.
Next, I, me, myself & yours truly assumes the title of role model, for I am my sons father and I am his positive influence. My wife and I assume COMPLETE responsibility for his every action. We are building his foundation, not society.
POOF!
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 12:27, kregg wrote:
You are mistaking the candidate for the President of the United States.
Next, I, me, myself & yours truly assumes the title of role model, for I am my sons father and I am his positive influence. My wife and I assume COMPLETE responsibility for his every action. We are building his foundation, not society.


Exactly.

And let's not forget DC's Democratic Crack Head Mayor...not only found guilty...but re-elected AFTERwards. Maybe this has something to do with DC's school issues.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 12:31, MAKMagic wrote:
And let's not forget DC's Democratic Crack Head Mayor...not only found guilty...but re-elected AFTERwards. Maybe this has something to do with DC's school issues.


Nope. George Bush.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Not very magical, still... Say What!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL