The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eddie Izzard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Was the Drag thing just a gimmick or is it a real lifestyle for him?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Not sure to be honest, but he has been at it for a LOOOONG TIME. Might I add that I find him one of the best comedians of our time.

I love comedy and many different "genre" of it. I'm a big fan of Murphy, Rock, Prior, Mencia (WAY before comedy central picked him up) and a slew of others. But Eddie Izzard rolls thing in in a different way. Love em.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
He's great, without a doubt.

I know he used to be a street performer, but surely he wasn't in drag for that was he?

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Eddie Izzard is a true transvestite (and one of the funniest people around). He says:
Quote:
“I'm an action transvestite really, so it's running, jumping, climbing trees... putting on make-up when you're up there!”

Quote:
"it is my manifest destiny to wear a dress on all seven continents"

Quote:
Are you finding that acting is getting in the way of being a stand-up comedian, or is being a stand-up comedian getting in the way of taking the acting roles that you want?

Well at this stage, I feel I've proven I'm something at stand-up comedy and I feel that I have yet quite to prove- though I'm getting better- my dramatic acting. I have yet to really nail it to a tree and say "Here it is!" I would suppose that being a transvestite gets in the way of being an actor. That's when people say "Ah! You're a transvestite so you can't play these roles," and, "no, I want to play these roles, I just happen to be a transvestite- it doesn't really matter." They all affect each other- they are all baggage, except for standup comedy- nothing affects that because that was the first place that I managed to get over the line.

Eddie is a cross-dresser, but apparently enjoys the company of women. He regularly cross-dresses both on and off stage and makes it clear that cross-dressing is, for him, not a sexual thing–he simply enjoys wearing make-up and clothing which is traditionally perceived in the West as female-only. He remarks in one of his shows, "Women wear what they want and so do I." According to Izzard, "Most transvestites fancy girls." He dismisses claims that he is homosexual, saying he is either a straight transvestite or a "male lesbian". He has also described himself as "a lesbian trapped in a man's body," but this is not generally taken to mean that he actually identifies as a transgender lesbian.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He is one of my favorite stand ups and I hope he does well on the show (I had to look it up on line to see if that was him). He goes with a certain glam look that would be tranny in a lower level sense, believe me, I lived in San Francisco and there are those that go wayyyyy beyond what Eddie does. He is straight as many, if not most, trans are. Transexuals are another story. If anyone reading this has not seen him perform do so, he is brilliant.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Check out his new show on FX called "The Riches". I believe he is a creator/executive producer on the show in addition to starring in it. His character's youngest son like to dress in girls' clothing, which I'm sure is no coincidence with Izzard's involvement in the show.
Kevin Reylek
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
He is such a funny man - can't wait for his show to cross the Pacific.

Destiny
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't think it is a comedy Destiny. He looks nothing like himself either.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I read a bit about the show and saw a pic of the cast - he sure doesn't look like himself!

I like his thinking, so comedy or drama - I'll watch - as long as it's not another forensic crime show.

And could you guys hurry up and finish with Season 3 Deadwood, so we can have it over here?

Destiny
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Goodness no...Not a crime Drama. Not a comedy.
One of the most unusual premises I have seen.
I love this show.
Only two episodes in, and I'm hooked. I do not hook easily.
Eddie is a genius.
Gwyd
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I'd classify it as a Dramedy. Overall it's a serious premise, but it makes me laugh out loud several times an episode. Interesting characters, good acting, I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes. There's finally something on on Monday night!
Kevin Reylek
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hey Destiny-
Just came accross this, and thought you might like to take a peek.
The pilot for Eddie's new show is on line (Legitimately) through MSN video. The whole thing.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=ef2bbb......fg=email

You might need to cut and paste.

Of course, you'll need to wait for the rest of the episodes...But it will get you started.
Gwyd
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hey Brett...next time you call, don't be surprized if I don't ask..."What are you wearing?"
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-03-22 14:20, Doug Higley wrote:
Hey Brett...next time you call, don't be surprized if I don't ask..."What are you wearing?"

Doug - it sounds as if your phone sex service is taking off... no wonder you don't have time for doing any voice overs anymore... doing voice work of a differnt ilk.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There was no sexual conotations whatsoever to my post...at least none intended...I was just curious if he watched Ed Wood too many times...

Considering that society is crotchcentric enough, I keep my posts free of such.

Marvello: I think you should stop thinking of me from now on. Not healthy.

:)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Thanks Gwyd - I dug out his stand up DVD and watched it again last night - he is so ******* funny.

Destiny
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Eddie Izzard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL