The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » When does blockhead become inappropriate? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Now few people would do it for a kindergarten a fundamentalist church group but at what point does doing blockhead become a BAD idea.

I perform it in a high school show about science and have performed it on the streets and at private parties where there were one or two older kids but I always wonder....when is it TOO much!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Pretty darned good question - hmmmm...

Let's assume that unless the entire audience has agreed to see something - uh... - "challenging", or "extreme", then there's the possibility that someone's gonna raise an objection, and that they'll feel pretty offended (either on their own, or "on behalf of these other people," as in "how can you show this to children?")

Look at some polar-opposite examples. Sideshow tent, banners advertising "bizarre acts and dangerous stunts" - anybody who goes in might (if you're a good performer) be shocked, but they will have no business taking offense. Kindergarten classroom, "now kids don't try this at home" - you'll be lucky to get out before the police arrive. Church picnic, "here's Nick the magician and he's got a hammer and really big nail" - somebody's going to say the key objection: "what makes you think people want to see something like that?"

So maybe we can say that it's not so much the age of the audience (I certainly wouldn't object if my kids were in the audience) or the venue, so much as it is screening who chooses to see it versus who has it thrust upon them unwarned.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Innappropriate times are: small children in the audience under pre-teen age, funerals (unless it was a fellow sideshow performer--21 nail salute), wedding announcements, during births (unless it is a carny-child), maybe when you are telling someone they have a terminal illness, during conjugal relations....

Great times are: When you are helping your friend put a roof on their house and the nail gun "goes off" while he is not looking and you scream as you turn around....

When you aren't getting good reception on the TV or radio at a friend's house...

When you have a really big booger...

While watching FREAKS.

When you are trying to go through airport security and you have the nail really lodged up there quite far (so it isn't so visible) and you set off the detector, so they pull you aside and wave over you with that metal detector and you say, "hmmm its not my keys...could this be it? I was wondering where that went." or "You do know that my doctor said that this is the lynchpin to my whole brain and if you take this out, I am going to leak brain fluid out like a hole in the Hoover dam."

Just before your doctor walks in for your yearly physical...let him know you are having trouble breathing and you think you may be getting too much iron in your diet.

Actually, I think the question is really a matter of taste and letting the people know who have hired you that your show is a bit edgy and may offend, it may not be suitable for small children and parents should be given an opportunity to shield their kids. I let everyone know that no children are allowed in my show. And a few times parents let their kids come. I felt fine telling a few jokes dirty enough to make the Aristocrats seem tame, b/c I WARNED THEM IN ADVANCE. It was their choice.

Now if the host of a party knows, but you don't think the host has done their duty to tell the guests who have brought their kids then it is the hosts fault. BUT, I would probably go to the host (if I had time) to let them know AGAIN, that there is material here that may not be suitable for kids and you are telling them that right now (ie. They better go talk to the guests and give you the thumbs up).

High schools, well, that is where judgement comes in because there are no parents there. So, be a parent. What would you want your kids to see and remember, that some kids will try stuff even if you warn them not to. So, maybe don't do that stuff that you think puts them at risk.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
jeremysweiss
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of jeremysweiss
Oh...yeahh..one more great time:

When your friend sets you up on a blind date with a real dog...(unless it is two headed or has five legs...).

Usually, I just sneeze chopped up onions out of my nose....but I am married now, so I have little need for that anymore.
The Shock Doc
<BR>www.TheShockDocShow.com
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>http://ballycast.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/ballycast-024-2009-03-21.mp3
<BR>
<BR>"....Jeremy Weiss has the greatest card trick of ALL TIME!"--Jamie D. Grant.
<BR>Start listening to iTricks 11/12/09
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 22:29, jeremysweiss wrote:

Great times are: When you are helping your friend put a roof on their house and the nail gun "goes off" while he is not looking and you scream as you turn around....

When you are trying to go through airport security and you have the nail really lodged up there quite far (so it isn't so visible) and you set off the detector, so they pull you aside and wave over you with that metal detector and you say, "hmmm its not my keys...could this be it? I was wondering where that went." or "You do know that my doctor said that this is the lynchpin to my whole brain and if you take this out, I am going to leak brain fluid out like a hole in the Hoover dam."

I laughed mu a** off! Thanks for that!

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 22:29, jeremysweiss wrote:
When you are trying to go through airport security and you have the nail really lodged up there quite far (so it isn't so visible) and you set off the detector, so they pull you aside and wave over you with that metal detector.....

Yeah.... that one just MIGHT not be such a great idea, especially if security doesn't have a sense of humour..... which 90% of the time they do not.

A fun thing to do at the airport is blasting Royksopp's "Remind Me" while riding the moving sidewalks.....
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've done blockhead at airport security. They laugh, but still won't let me take a swallowing-sword through.

"It's a weapon" they say to me who's probably read their regs more recently than they have.

"It has no edge or point" I say, "it can't cut or stab".

"It's a weapon" they say, so I check the sword. They let me take my nail, though.

You can do blockhead any time, any place, as long as the audience, and the folks who booked you, understand that you're going to do it. And if someone runs screaming out of the venue, oh well.

You can't please everybody.

In the days when they first started installing moving sidewalks, I could still carry my unicycle as walk-on luggage. I'd ride it through the airport, with the Krishna devotees chasing me, waving pamphlets at my departing backside. And then ride down the moving sidewalks. That's FUN! Especially if there's nobody around, and you can turn around and go the wrong way!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Because you can't ask EVERY member of the audience can you?
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I wouldn't consider kids younger than teen age too young for the blockhead, I regularly perform blockhead for audiences at rennaisance festivals that include children as small as 5 years old. It's all about how you present it, I do the human blockhead in an entirely different way for rennaisance festivals than I would for a classic sideshow or nightlclub/bar/18+ crowd. Just My Opinion.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 20:27, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

Well, you can screen 'em out by advertising that your show is "extreme" - those who are unwilling to tolerate shocks won't come in, or woin't have any business complaining. That's what I mean by "asking every member of the audience."

Alternatively, you can select your venue - a daycare won't be appropriate - a crowd on Venice Beach - probably OK - a crowd at a punk rock nightclub, you gotta get even weirder.

erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
I advertise that it's a family show, the way I do blockhead hasn't offended anyone yet, of course blockhead isn't a main part of my show so anytime I think it would be inappropriate I take it out or if a venue says "that's too gross" I don't do it. I think you just have to use your better judgement, design your show so you can change things at a moments notice, and if you plan to work in venues where your audience may include children... have enough material that is not "gross" to do if you have to.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 22:18, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-03-21 20:27, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

Well, you can screen 'em out by advertising that your show is "extreme" - those who are unwilling to tolerate shocks won't come in, or woin't have any business complaining. That's what I mean by "asking every member of the audience."

Alternatively, you can select your venue - a daycare won't be appropriate - a crowd on Venice Beach - probably OK - a crowd at a punk rock nightclub, you gotta get even weirder.

What with soft punk, grindcore, emo and other wimpy options, punk rock nightclub guests these days will be more likely to be squealing and covering the eyes and asking their mummies to come and pick them up early.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Emos will be too fixated on their mirrors to notice the entertainment.

Destiny
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Heh! heh!

My wife (who is much cooler then I) took several weeks to explain exactly WHAT emo was.

Me: so their goths?
Her: No...they wear black but they are more street.
Me: Like skaters?
Her: No, more anti authority.
Me: oh...like punk?
Her: not really....

Now, whenever I see an emo kid on the street or whenever My Chemical Romance comes on the radio, I squeal and say "EMO! IT'S EMO!"

-------

I wish my grass was emo...then it would cut itself.
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
------------John Dream------------If you can Dream it, you can Do it!
1317 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
You have to stop when the blood comes out the back of your head...
Presentation is everything!

If you can Dream it, you can Do it!

The eXtreme SVENPAD Supreme eBook
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
For a different slant on blockhead used to put a reporter off the scent of pick use in escapology,,,,,see the UKEA video on the All tied up section here,,,
Have a laugh, on me !!!

Ken
ryman
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of ryman
Never Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh how red was her neck after you penatrated her?

Wiht chains that is - see the UKEA web site. I was there she WAS NOT EXPECTING to be on that side of the camera!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » When does blockhead become inappropriate? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL