The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Word in a Million booktest? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1844 Posts

Profile of Platt
I own the old Al Koran effect "Word in a Thousand" but don't know much about this one. I like that it can supposedly be used with any book. Any reviews on this? Pros and cons compared to Word in a Thousand? What I like about the Koran effect (at least the premade book I bought from Tannens some years ago) is that it's basically examinable. Can the same be said for "Million?"
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
532 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
If this is the JB Magic item (and if memory serves I think it is) I can comment.
My knowledge of "Word in a Thousand" consists of watching it performed on the Osterlind DVD. I remember thinking it odd the way the dustjacket was handled to obtain the peek.
As great as the original might be, to my way of thinking this version has a couple of decided advantages:
1. The gaff can indeed be moved from book to book very quickly (you could plant it in a book in someones home, for instance).
2. The method of obtaining the peek is very natural- hold the book up vertically, flip thru with the pages facing the specs (commenting on the # of pages, millions of words, etc.) and you're done. I have never been caught on this action.
Virtually everyone I have demo'ed this for in the shop has bought one.
Hope this helps.
Best of British
View Profile
New user
England
25 Posts

Profile of Best of British
The UK's number one close-up magician and dear friend of mine Nick Einhorn came up with this version of the effect.

It's pretty cheap for what you get.

Bear in mind you'll need to use a hardback book with a dust-cover to get the most from the effect. Nick shared a couple of handlings that aren't in the instructions with me and I offered him a couple of my own. Perhaps he might decide to release them?

It's as easy a book test as you will ever perform and a real fooler even for magicians. The peek is so easy to get (yes, you do need to get the spec to write down their word) and within a few minutes you should have the handling down.

Platt, the book is examinable insofar as a cursory glance goes (in fact the spectator handles the book themselves at one point). As always careful spectator management is key.

It's a great trick, it's British, get it.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Inexpensive, clever, baffling. The writing down of the word is easily justified, and the paper on which it is written is put away by the spectator, making it clear that youcouldn;t have gotten a peek at it. Very nice, indeed.
Adam Green
New York, NY
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
This is a great item. The peek is so sneaky.
Absolutely worth the money.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Word in a Million booktest? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL