The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Deck change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
I need some tips on how to casually change decks. I just got a shipment of cards, and a couple of them are gimmicked, what are good ways of switching decks during a set, without letting people know I'm using different decks?

Doc-Z
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There are a lot of ways to switch decks, can be as simple as putting deck into coat pocket and later removing a different deck, to using servantes, black wells, there are even devices and cases for doing deck changes. Numerous methods in several of the major card books, and look in magic catalogues for cases etc.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Quote:
On 2007-03-23 23:54, photius wrote:
There are a lot of ways to switch decks, can be as simple as putting deck into coat pocket and later removing a different deck, to using servantes, black wells, there are even devices and cases for doing deck changes. Numerous methods in several of the major card books, and look in magic catalogues for cases etc.

I absolutly agree! Different methods depending on your style and set up!

Louis Jutras
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
You also may be able to just add some cards to the deck you already have. For example, lets say that you need to add a stack of fifteen cards to the front of the deck. When you set up the deck use the flap to divide the pack behind the gimmicked stack. When you take out the deck leave the gimmicked stack behind. The first part of you routine might have slightly less than 52 cards and your final part in some cases could have more (only if there is no chance of the specs seeing duplicate cards.)

Then you put the cards back in the box and do a non card trick or a trick with less than the whole pack. Then when you take it out again take the gimmicked pack with it.
Wes
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
There is a deck switch in the secret session of magic Café. You have to have fifty post to view and post there though.
Wes
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
By all means, look into a Deck Shell.

Bob
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Thanks Wes. I'm at 21 posts, so I'm getting there Smile

Deck Shell, I've found those on the web, but how do they work? to me they look like a regular card case... (but I guess that is what they're supposed to look like..)

Doc-Z
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
This is not a place to discus secrets, but the shell make, what you want to do, very simple.

Bob
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Ah.. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to try to disclose secrets! I think I will pick one up, if my wife will let me Smile and see for myself.

Doc-Z
damkat69
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of damkat69
Switching a deck can be a simple task or a hard to master art. I always concentrate on making a distraction, such as using a flash paper in one hand while dishing out a new deck, or have one in a position somewhere where you can crab it in a split second. I have some of mine propped up on my magic box which sits on a table in my stage area, then it is easy to switch out as I just drop the one deck and pick up another. This can be done in literally one second with practice. You can also do another trick then move back to a card trick later on which by far is the easiest way, but my no means the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Deck change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL