The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Culling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Well I was never really big on culling. But a few effects have inspired me to do it more. I am just having trouble with the culled card flashing on the inside edge of the spread cards. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Do you just want a somewhat sloppy looking spread when you are cull a card?
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
*culling a card?

*** limited edit window.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey, check out volume 1 of Giobbi's card college. He explains it and also explains that you should have your pinkies to steady the inside of the spread and then outjog a little to cover the bad angle on the outside of the spread. PM me I that's unclear.

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I find that the technique culling is a very useful tool. One of the culling technique I use today is Kostya's version, the Roadrunner Cull can be found in his Lecture Collection.

Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
mick the trick
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of mick the trick
Check out Andrew Wilmhurst video for some excellent tricks using the cull
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Try looking at the following for ideas on culling and stacking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogXJGSt7ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwYXeAHHDE

Both techniques are similar but different.

Have fun !
Long Island,

New York
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
568 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
Once again we have the misunderstanding between culling under a spread and culling during a shuffle, leading to the same two links.

This is about culling under a spread. Again.

Take care, Ian
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Besides that the question is about Culling under a spread, the OP's question is how to avoid exposing of the culled card at inner ends of the spread.

If you keep culled card under the spread, it is difficult to completely hide the card even at outer end of the spread. Keep the culled card, not under the spread, but under the cards at the right end of the cards which are almost gatherd.

Right forefinger and middle finger almost automatically keep the card in the correct position. Right pinky does nothing to keep the card there.

Hideo Kato
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Sorry,

I personally use the Marlo "Prayer Cull" and there are a few nice variations where the movement is done on the offbeat.

The easiest way to hide the card under the spread is to NOT keep the cards aligned...be a little sloppy, so some cards are out jogged and other are injogged. This will give you leaway.

Just don't exagerate the jogging.

Acting casual will also help the "sloppy spread".
Long Island,

New York
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2007-03-24 20:40, Expertmagician wrote:
Sorry,

I personally use the Marlo "Prayer Cull" and there are a few nice variations where the movement is done on the offbeat.

The easiest way to hide the card under the spread is to NOT keep the cards aligned...be a little sloppy, so some cards are out jogged and other are injogged. This will give you leaway.

Just don't exagerate the jogging.

Acting casual will also help the "sloppy spread".

Can you suggest a good source for learning this? I think Bannon touches on it on one of his vids.

Also, culling one or two cards is not a huge issue for me. But if you want to, say, cull (under spread) all the hearts, that's hard for me.
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Wow...good question, I learned the original prayer cull from "The New TOPS" magazine in the 1970s (I think). The vaiations I learned from people directly through the years and not from books of videos.

Hopefully, someone else can advise you where to find variations.

For some reason, I think Alan Ackerman had a couple of variations...but, I'm not sure ? ... hopefully others will reply.
Long Island,

New York
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
On April 27 Iain Moran will release a DVD on Culling, called CULLFATHER.
Check it out in http://www.bigblindmedia.com, they are offering a pre-order with free shipping worldwide.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
I like Giobbi's comment about the 'accordion' motion which helps the culling action blend into the action of spreading the deck
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 02:30, magicstudent wrote:
On April 27 Iain Moran will release a DVD on Culling, called CULLFATHER.
Check it out in http://www.bigblindmedia.com, they are offering a pre-order with free shipping worldwide.

Jeff

Just ordered it.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I love it! Learn one move. Be unstoppable...

hehehehe
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Marlo's Prayer cull can be found in volume one of MINT (Marlo in New Tops). In Card College 4, Giobbi has a section on culling, including an ABOVE the spread technique.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
BTW, bigblindmedia's cullfather w/ Iain Moran is terrific on culling. I believe it's Marlo's Prayer cull, or a very close derivative. In Iain's hands it's a powerful thing. I've got a lot of work to do to get where I'm comfortable with, but am making progress. It will be worth the time for sure.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of AsL
Joey,
I would look into the Card College series for some nice under the spread culls. I wasn't entirely comfortable culling before I read Card College but now I'm comepletely comfortable culling cards. Roberto really teaches everything nicely and he includes a lot of imortant points.

Magicianguy4life
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Culling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL