The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Criss Angel "Drawing Duplication" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
Did anyone else see the Criss Angel Drawing Duplication that he performed for the Air Force crew? I thought that it was interesting that the image appeared in a photograph of a woman holding a blank piece of paper. Anyone know if this method is published? Nice twist and use of techniques to create a totally unique drawing duplication!
MM
Butler # 254
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Here are the two books that were published about his methods, maybe it's mentioned there.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=1

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=2
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
I am laughing out loud...very funny reply!
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
It's lucky the "real workers" are here to point out how wrong the guy with his own tv series is getting everything...

:rolleyes:

/Bamba
123majik123
View Profile
Regular user
nowhere
180 Posts

Profile of 123majik123
When it should be the real workers getting everything and the face of the real workers getting, well what he needs.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Smile DJM, I think those were the source texts.. although some of the other methods may be tipped in these publications
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2007-03-26 02:42, DJM wrote:
Here are the two books that were published about his methods, maybe it's mentioned there.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=1

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksea......mp;itm=2

Would that his 'people' had read those books. I stopped watching after the horrid edit in his 'motorcycle in a cloud of dust' vanish. The kids on youtube have better skills.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
I have been reminded why I no longer post on the green board. Every conversation strays off into inside jokes and insults. The original intent for this site was to allow us to converse about our art not to insult eachother. Back to the sanctum.
MM
Butler # 254
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Kyle, I agee with you about the art part.. but what has that to do with Criss?
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Now, that was uncalled for... I love it. Smile

Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
DJM thanks for those links,I will order those books immediately.Criss Angel here I come.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
No problem Harry, glad I could help. Hopefully it will make you have a magic show in the UK like you always wanted! Smile
Tiramisu
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Tiramisu
I could not stop laughing after I read this thread.

DJM's links sum up this Criss Angel trick nicely:

The so called trick was on the Strait Jacket Keel Haul episode filmed in Mexico. He gave 7 people that he supposedly had never met before notepads and a marker. They then each grabbed various vacation brochures on this display rack and told them to pick out any letter and write it on the pad and not show it to anybody. He then turned his back and had them change positions to any order they wished. They then held up the notepads and it spelled BELIEVE which matched the inscription on his necklace.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
What are the odds! That is amazing. Everytime I try that trick I end up with BEE EVIL. Criss is a great golden god. Smile

DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
What they didn't show on that episode is that at first the notepads were actually a secrecy agreement for them to sign..

I love Criss jokes!
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I'm still waiting for those two skeezy brothers of his to get a spin-off show, they and his permanently terrified mother are my all time favorites! Criss may find a new market in unintentional comedy.

Could anyone keep a straight face in that SEANCE episode when he suddenly burst into tears half way through the Ouija routine?

Love it!
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I didn't see that one! I wonder if it was better than Derren's Seance..

Ok, I don't.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
It was truly awful- so bad you just couldn't stop watching it. it was billed as a CELEBRITY SEANCE with a group of celebrities so far down the Z-list I spent the first 15 minutes trying to differentiate between the celebrities and the usual crew members wandering in and out of shot.

You've got to admit, its easy to mistake his brothers for members of Whitesnake. In fact, the members of his "brain trust" (Johnny Thompson, Banachek et al) standing around smiling and waiting for their paycheques were probably better known than the assembled celebrities. Put it this way- the best known person was Debbie Gibson (Tiffany must have had a lunch date).

They were gathered in some haunted hotel. The actual effects- um... I can't even remember them- which says something- but the definite highlight was when Criss burst into tears for dramatic effect.

It may have been his best moment yet... unless you have a vote for a better "Criss Moment"?

I was also very fond of the mentalist bit in a lift with the wife of a member of Motley Crue's wife, whose cosmetic "enhancements" were more amazing than the actual effect.
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I still don't understand why Criss needs to get help from well known magicians like Banachek, when in fact what he does has nothing to do with magic.

Almost anything in the word can be done using stooges, camera effects and more stooges. He can even fly that way! Oh, wait..
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
His "magic" technique really comes down to two things- a bit of clever wordplay- "No camera tricks" doesn't include judicious editing and post production- and the fact that if you ask a stooge "Have we ever met before?" and they say "No" that doesn't actually mean anything...

Almost everything hinges on those two principles.

To me, the only real concern is that he bills his stuff as "spur of the moment, unstaged, on the street, in your face.." etc, when it fact it is so often elaborately staged, including armies of stooges and editing out the placement of large scale illusions in "public" settings between edits that you end up with effects that could not even be recreated on stage or in any live performance.

This may have negative effect on audience expectations of other performers, but this is probably a greater concern for magicians than mentalists.

Fortunately his occasional stabs at mentalism are mostly unremarkable.

You compared him with Derren Brown and that highlights the key element that makes mentalism much more of an art form- it works best with a degree of erudition, class and carefully woven storytelling, something DB excels at, turning each effect into a carefully constructed experience.

Take the same effect, mumble through it, finsih it with a screaming guitar lick and jam your open mouth over a camera lens and it loses all of its impact.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Criss Angel "Drawing Duplication" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL