We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Criss Angel "Drawing Duplication" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Whacky Neighbor
View Profile
New user
Hollywood, CA
79 Posts

Profile of Whacky Neighbor
Yet, there he is and here we are. You can talk all you want about how bad a magician is, I feel like I'm repeating myself here, but he is bringing magic to the masses. It reminds me of a "lightbulb" joke. How many actors does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one. But nine others to stand back and say "I could have done it better". If his magic is so terrible, that should inspire you to go out and make magic something better.
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Thanks whacky, but I don't see how his popularity relates to the technical issues being discussed.

Mass popularity doesn't exempt artists from criticism, does it?

Milli Vannili sold a lot of albums, even won a Grammy... but not too many people are praising them for their musical virtuosity...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Blame it on the raaaain
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Like most of you, I don't think CA is that good of a magician and a lot of you guys are probably much better than him technically. In fact I think he's a total cheeseball.

TV producers on the other hand, don't care about techniques, they only care about ratings, and to get ratings they need laypeople to keep watching. How do you get people to continue watching a weekly show? Make each episode to have a more wow-factor then the next, even with a posse of great magicians/mentalists on your payroll, you are going to run out of ideas and resort to unfavorable methods to help keep people excited for the next episode.

Another thing that keeps people watching is sex appeal. Why do people watch such bull***t shows like The Hills, because they want to see good looking people. Now this might offend a lot of you here, but one thing CA does have more than any of us is sex appeal. How many screaming girls wait outside your venue's door waiting to get their boobies signed by you? My prediction....zero. CA is very marketable in that sense. He's got the muscle bound, bad-boy rocker image that all teenage girls and their white-trash cougar moms salivating over.

Derren Brown on the other hand, he's good looking, smart and very classy and technically good too, but I can't see him doing well on a channel like A&E or an other major networks, because he might make most of the general viewing public feel dumb. Look at great foreign films that gets remade for the US audience, they have to dumb them down because the majority of the public doesn't have the attention span or intellect to fully understand them.

Sorry for the rant,
Allan
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 18:54, tardoid7 wrote:
...
Look at great foreign films that gets remade for the US audience, they have to dumb them down because the majority of the public doesn't have the attention span or intellect to fully understand them.

Sorry for the rant,
Allan


Uh, could you have a lower opinion of people?

Remakes are generally made because of different cultural components. This could be something as simple as references to "well known" television shows or characters or something like humor.

I consider myself to be very intelligent and to have a great attention span yet I find much of british humor to completely unfunny. However I would never go so far as to say that all of the UK is boring or anything close to that (in contrast to your statements, for example).

Lots of Americans also like to mock Candians as well. I think the same of them as I think of foreigners mocking Americans, they are the ones deserving of mockery but those of us who actually have intelligence and attention spans (as opposed to those who only think they do) have other pursuits.

-Carlos the Subtle (at least compared to the last post, lol)
Cognite tute
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 19:03, Carlos the Great wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 18:54, tardoid7 wrote:
...
Look at great foreign films that gets remade for the US audience, they have to dumb them down because the majority of the public doesn't have the attention span or intellect to fully understand them.

Sorry for the rant,
Allan


Uh, could you have a lower opinion of people?

Remakes are generally made because of different cultural components. This could be something as simple as references to "well known" television shows or characters or something like humor.

I consider myself to be very intelligent and to have a great attention span yet I find much of british humor to completely unfunny. However I would never go so far as to say that all of the UK is boring or anything close to that (in contrast to your statements, for example).

Lots of Americans also like to mock Candians as well. I think the same of them as I think of foreigners mocking Americans, they are the ones deserving of mockery but those of us who actually have intelligence and attention spans (as opposed to those who only think they do) have other pursuits.

-Carlos the Subtle (at least compared to the last post, lol)


I mean no disrespect to you or any one else here. I think all of us here are intelligent. I'm talking about the general public. Look at the FOX show Arrested Developement. This was one of the most funniest and intelligent shows that aired in the past little while on network TV. Yet it got cancelled after 3 seasons because they say the ratings weren't up to par. But they will continue making shows like Acording to Jim, American Idol or World's Scarriest Police Chases, mindless dribble.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Isn't American Idol imported from the UK?
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 19:18, tardoid7 wrote:

I mean no disrespect to you or any one else here. I think all of us here are intelligent. I'm talking about the general public. Look at the FOX show Arrested Developement. This was one of the most funniest and intelligent shows that aired in the past little while on network TV. Yet it got cancelled after 3 seasons because they say the ratings weren't up to par. But they will continue making shows like Acording to Jim, American Idol or World's Scarriest Police Chases, mindless dribble.



Right. No, I get you, but part of being intelligent is making sure that you communicate well. IMHO, "they have to dumb them down because the majority of the public doesn't have the attention span or intellect" isn't the way to get your point across. Furthermore, the link to that and CA is tenuous (at best).

Oh, and for the record, I watch none of those shows you listed, including Arrested Development (I used to be able to say that I never watched a single second of American Idol but that William Huong -sp? video made its rounds). But, getting back to the point, I know that Luke Jermay has said he will have at least one drawing duplication in 3510 (his next book). I wonder if it is related to the one CA performed.
Cognite tute
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 19:23, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Isn't American Idol imported from the UK?


Yes it is. But it doesn't matter where it comes from, it's crap in UK and it's crap in the US. My point wasn't that UK has better shows or that they are more intelligent, I'm saying if it's intelligent, they have to dumb it down for mass marketed appeal.
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
My girlfriend was on the 3rd season of American Idol Smile (Not Fantasia)
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
On 2007-04-05 19:29, Carlos the Great wrote:

Right. No, I get you, but part of being intelligent is making sure that you communicate well. IMHO, "they have to dumb them down because the majority of the public doesn't have the attention span or intellect" isn't the way to get your point across. Furthermore, the link to that and CA is tenuous (at best).

Oh, and for the record, I watch none of those shows you listed, including Arrested Development (I used to be able to say that I never watched a single second of American Idol but that William Huong -sp? video made its rounds). But, getting back to the point, I know that Luke Jermay has said he will have at least one drawing duplication in 3510 (his next book). I wonder if it is related to the one CA performed.


Your right, I should of worded that better. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Totally, no worries at all.

Haven't had a chance to see many of your posts, what's your background?

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
I don't post that often. I should, but I can be lazy.

Which background are you referring to, mentalism or family?
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Um, mentalism, lol. I don't have background on my own family, lol.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
I'm actually pretty new to magic and mentalism. I've been studying for about 5 years, mostly mentalism. I'm current working on an act which is based on a psychometry theme. Not just a psuedo-psychometry act, but taking some classic mind-reading effects and divining the information by touch. I do a version of Corinda's The Third Choice with ungimmicked cards and instead of predicting the card, I can sense what the envelope contains just by touch. I think the bio of Peter Hurkos kind of inspired me to go with that theme.
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
Tardoid -- if you are looking for a helpful place without the chronies of this site being rude as usual, please visit us at the Mentalist Sanctum.
MM
Butler # 254
Allan Kardek
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
195 Posts

Profile of Allan Kardek
Quote:
On 2007-04-06 11:13, kyle_freemason wrote:
Tardoid -- if you are looking for a helpful place without the chronies of this site being rude as usual, please visit us at the Mentalist Sanctum.


I was at the Sanctum, but my account was disabled due to inactivity for a while. The forum's admin sent me an email 7days before they disabled it, but I didn't get untill after the 7 days because his email was in my spam box. I've emailed the admin but I haven't got a response yet.

Cheers,
Allan
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1256 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Presentation is everything here...

and a little help....
True Believer
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of True Believer
- kyle_freemason wrote

I have been reminded why I no longer post on the green board. Every conversation strays off into inside jokes and insults. The original intent for this site was to allow us to converse about our art not to insult eachother. Back to the sanctum.

You're right, kyle.
I don't post anymore on this site, 'cause I found that is deleterious! I've searched the net and I've used some brains to figure out Criss Angel's tricks. Everyone on this board, including professionals, says that he uses stooges and camera tricks. So sick to hear that
The props and techniques he utilizes are under your noses! In your favourite books and dvds! Just apply one simple thing: "Translate a concept and apply to other fields".
I successfully perform the Voodoo Doll Trick every performance I do, without stooges(obviously I have more than one doll), and the same goes with the Ring in Ice Cube and I'm relatively new to the magic field... I just searched in magic stores and books to find out the concepts!
The Shadow effect is just a well-kwown method with some word-twist in it (don't you said that one of the features of mentalism is presentation?).
Discussing these matters reminds me of old conversation I had on Twin Peaks Forums: everyone tried to find the supernatural level in the show (Indian spirits, possessed people,ecc.). Unfortunately, TP was nothing of this...so the same with magic and creativity.

Kyle, if you wanna know the Drawing Duplication method that Angel used just PM to me,
Lorenzo
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
But the owls are not what they seem Smile
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Criss Angel "Drawing Duplication" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL