The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Word Puzzle! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
I've seen some great puzzles and riddles on this board. Here is one of my own. Try it and see if you can come up with the answers:

1) Many English words have double vowels in them. Examples include: SLEEPING, BOOKCASE,
WEEDS, BEDROOM, BALLOON, etc.

However, English words with double aa, ii, and uu are much more uncommon.

Besides the animal called an AARDVARK, can you think of a more common English word that has "AA" somewhere in it?

Hint: It's a place where you might spend money and it's spelled like this (fill in the blanks): __ __ __ A A __

2) Besides Hawaii, there is a common English word that has double "II" in it. What is the word?

Hint: This word is an activity some people like to do, and it's spelled like this (fill in the blanks):
__ __ I I __ __

3) Double UU appears even less frequently. There is one common English word, however, that has a double "UU" in it. What is it?

Hint: This very lethal object is found in outer space AND it's also something most of us have in our homes. It's spelled like this (fill in the blanks): __ __ __ U U __

If anybody needs answers, let me know!
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
1. Bazaar
2. Skiing
3. Vacuum
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Well that was quick... Smile
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Which six-letter word (a real word, not an abbreviation or acronym) does not contain an a, e, i, o or u?
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
How about the word: NYMPHS?
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Good one! Not the one I had in mind, though... in fact, in its plural form, the one I'm thinking of actually has seven letters...
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Syzygy is the alignment of heavenly bodies (that's planets and such, not Shania Twain and friends).
No vowels, as is usually understood.
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Another good one, Peter! Still not the (dare I say commonly-used) 6-letter (7-letter, for the plural) word (noun) that I'm thinking of...
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I have a friend who's a bookkeeper, and likes many words games as a hobby. He has two favorites that he likes to spring on people:

1) What word has more sets of consecutive double letters than any other word?

If he doesn't come off as being facetious after presenting that first puzzle, he'll go on to offer his other puzzle:

2) What is the only word in the English language that not only contains all five vowels (A, E, I, O and U), but containes them all in alphabetical order?

Smile
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I thought there were two words that contained the five vowels, in order:

- abstemious
- facetious.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Scott, I guess your bOOKKEEper friend was indeed fAcEtIOUs, giving away clues like that!

Mark, I still can't figure out your seven-letter word with five different vowels. I admit I'm stumped.

Anyone yet got my six-letter (seven-letter for the plural) word not containing a, e, i, o or u? By George, I thought you would have got it by now - after all those clues, who could ask for anything more?

Colin
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
I think the answer to Colin's question is rhythm. Another good word puzzle I heard many years ago is this: what seven-letter word contains five different vowels.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Well done, Mark, You Got Rhythm! Thank you also for PMing me the answer to your 7-letter all 5-vowel word!

Colin
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Was this one already said: A word having 5 consecutive vowels in it, though not in order. There were others like this but you missed one.

What is the longest word in the english language which can be typed using only the top rom on your keyboard. What is the longest word using only your left hand to type?
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
I just found another few (I'm searching, these aren't mine but still hard I think)

Express 100 as the sum of three cubes, allowing each cube to be positive or negative.

What do these 5 words have in common:

• ENUMERATE
  • UNOCCUPIED
  • ONEROUS
  • UNUSUAL
  • BIRD
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Top row: typewriter?

Lefthand: Stewardesses?
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Yep, I think most people know about the keyboard thing. It's still an interesting bit of trivia though.
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Quote:
On 2003-01-19 18:24, Peedlkyle wrote:
What do these 5 words have in common:

• ENUMERATE
  • UNOCCUPIED
  • ONEROUS
  • UNUSUAL
  • BIRD

Seeing as how no one's gotten this yet, I'll tell you.

Each word begins with the word for "1" in a specific language.

• (En)umerate---Danish
  • (Uno)ccupied---Italian and Spanish
  • (One)rous---English
  • (Un)usual---French
  • (Bir)d---Turkish

Ok, that's a stretch, I know, but that's the answer.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
The words with no vowels is good but Y is the somtimes vowel. Anyone know a word with no vowels (a,e,i,o,u,or y)

jeff
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
Certain Welsh words, such as cwm (valley).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Word Puzzle! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL