The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best ESP effect (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Quote:
My "Bob's Your Uncle" uses no marked cards, nor gaffs, nor duplicates, nor stacks, ...

Doug, have you ever thought of performing your effect with 'character' cards rather than ESP symbols? Just imagine the possibilities when the spectator correctly matches, then turns over cartoon drawings of:

Bob - Fanny
Hitler - Stalin
Michael Moore - Penn
Joe 6 Pack - Joe The Plumber
Tom Curise - David Icke
Send me the truth: davitsicseek@gmail.com
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Davit asked:
Quote:
Doug, have you ever thought of performing your effect with 'character' cards rather than ESP symbols?

I have occasionally used it with symbols other than the Zener variety (one of the benefits of this method is that it is truly impromptu), but I normally do it with ESP cards as part of a larger routine involving same.

But that's just a personal preference; there's no reason at all why other presentations couldn't be equally effective (and baffling). It's absolutely one of my favourite effects; particularly as it bears repetition, something that can't be said for most approaches. And audiences almost always want to see it again.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
MrMystery2008
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MrMystery2008
Has anyone got Peter Nardi's effect called "E.S.Perfect"?
I saw the demo video, and it just blew me away completely!

How does that compare with some of the best E.S.P. effects?

Thinking of getting this as part of my mentalism routine. I've been trying to find a review of this on here, but haven't found one yet.
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
ESPerfect is good. Worth getting if you do a fair amount of close up. No marks.

It contains the a great comedy line of typical Nardi/Spellman quality... Looch is given the opportunity to win a twenty pound note and places it on the table.

Looch "I've heard of these"
Nardi "These are nice.. Down south, you see a lot of these"
Looch "I've heard of the purple ones.. I wasn't sure it was true"

It's also worth getting just for the box/star joke at the end.
MrMystery2008
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MrMystery2008
Thanks for the positive feedback Davit.
I was hoping you can answer some questions for me...
What you see in the demo video, is that whole routine 100% working all the time?
Including the first part where he asks the spectator what she is thinking of, and its actually the card he is holding up.

Does he go through the psychological aspects of the effect on the DVD?
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
He goes through the effect in detail, with a bunch of variations and different presentations.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I think E.S.Perfect is very clever, but the sudden appearance of the blank cards strikes me far too much as a magic trick (i.e., mental magic) for my taste. And really, it's only the matching of a single card (albeit one known in advance). But again, it's too "pat" for my liking, and (I believe) leaves the audience with no other explanation than "force" (which it is). Also, the cards are gaffed, which means I can't go on and use them for something else. (In other words, it's a "packet trick".)

[And no, the effect as shown in the demo video is not 100%; the first revelation is just chance (though you have close to a 50% likelihood of pulling it off). Only the climax is 100%.]

A much nicer mentalism effect from the Nardi stable is "Perfect ESP". It is, however, a quite different effect from the one primarily being discussed here. In Perfect ESP, the entertainer does the card matching; I have always found this to be a much weaker outcome than when the participant does so.

At one point, I used Perfect ESP as a lead-in to "Bob's Your Uncle" (using the identical cards, the participant accomplishes the same matching that I have just demonstrated). But I eventually abandoned it, as I found the mixing procedure to be a bit contrived: why are we taking so much care in mixing the entertainer's cards when s/he is going to take them in a chosen order anyway? Still, like "Bob's Your Uncle", it's truly impromptu mentalism, with no gaffs of any kind, thus a very good method to have in one's repertoire.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Davit Sicseek
View Profile
Inner circle
1818 Posts

Profile of Davit Sicseek
Believe it or not, my Corinda arrived in a packet Smile

The first revelation isn't 100%, but the one on the demo isn't the only "perfect" hit from the audiences POV, you have a 60% chance by pure odds, but you can typically add substantially to that percentage by selecting the most popular symbols.

I do agree that it is a bit 'magical'... it is what it is.
MrMystery2008
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of MrMystery2008
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think its a buy for me. It was pretty much a buy for me all along.

I just hope I don't have to go out and buy any extra cards!

Davit, what do you mean when you said this?
"Believe it or not, my Corinda arrived in a packet"
Mesaboogie
View Profile
Special user
804 Posts

Profile of Mesaboogie
I believe ESP matching effects should be as simple for the audience to understand as possible.

My routine involves simply asking the spectator to think of a symbol, you read their mind and place one down, face down. They do the same.

This happens 5 times. The cards are turned over and shown to match. It really is as clear and uncontrived as effects can get. No pairing of cards or swapping. You lay down, they lay down, they all match, simple !

Indeed, I used to use marked cards for a number of years to accomplish this and so couldn't really do it across a table at a distance, until I realised I was thinking too much like a magician and had to kick myself several times when I realised WHY I didn't need marked cards, afterall.

I also begin the effect without cards and just naming the symbol the participant is thinking of, similar to Nardi's intro in ESPerfect, but use a subtley to give myself about 90% of a hit, or partial hit. I conclude the effect with the idea of precognition where you predict a symbol ahead of time. The routine lasts about 4 minutes.

All cards are ungaffed and fit snuggly into a wallet. With a well thought out presentation and script, and a very "convincing" performance, this WILL slay an audience. Believe me, I know.

Regards

Andrew
TheMindReader.co.uk

Everyday, in everyway, I am becoming better and better
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Vernon's Mental card trick in Stars of magic can be applied perfectly to ESP cards.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2007-04-02 20:55, Cody S. Fisher wrote:
Having purchased tons of ESP matching routines...and trying them all in the real world...my favorite is John George's "Perfect ESP". It is not "on the market" so to speak...you can only get it from his lectures...and if you contact him personally. (www.johngeorge.com)

It is perfect for the strolling magician...VERY easy...VERY convincing...VERY open handling...and no sticky tape, adhesives, or R/S. I saw John kill with this at The Magic Castle one week when we did close up there...it really got an awesome response...he was kind enough to share it with me...and only recently started releasing this on a limited basis.

This is a real "gem" as far as I am concerned...I own 5 sets!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

Just down the street Cody, please lemme know if this is ever released.

Thanks

Candin
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
It's out.
Penguin
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mister E.
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
189 Posts

Profile of Mister E.
Got it today and I think it is very good!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Yeah, it's good. Nice alternative to Zen mentalism et al.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
You might want to look this up: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=20#2 ...Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Selden
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Selden
I'm not familiar with John George's routine, but I'm going to buy it after reading the reviews. My favorites are Hen Fetch's Symbologic, and Nick Trost's Dream Of The Hermit.
thomasP
View Profile
Regular user
France
138 Posts

Profile of thomasP
Rhine's revenge is the best I have seen.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
In case you’re not familiar with it:

https://youtu.be/1MndYkx9BX4

And

https://youtu.be/dmsiaV1TeHE
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2017, JanForster wrote:
You might want to look this up: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......art=20#2 ...Smile Jan

Some beautiful thinking in there, Jan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Best ESP effect (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL