The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2007 entrée: Steve Beam » » Question about Setting up semi-automatic work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Hello Mr. Beam,
I like to do semi-automatic work but sometimes the setups kill me and I don't feel comfortable setting up the deck in from of people sometimes, that's why for me FASDIU work comes easier. But I like a lot of the semi-automatic stuff, I have tried to set up the deck for the next effect during the current effect doing a cull and have even tried to setup the deck beforehand to do more than one semi-automatic trick before I even start. I know that culling and stacking plays a big part in setting up the decks fro semi automatic work.
Do you have any other suggestions besides the ones I listed above, to help someone get over their fear of setting up the deck for semi auto matic work in front of people?

Thanks

John
Steve Beam
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of Steve Beam
John,

Despite the common misconception, Semi-Automatic Card Tricks do not require set-ups as a rule. Many do. Many don't. In volumes 6 and 7 of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, there were 95 tricks that could be performed with a borrowed/shuffled deck. That averages out to almost 50 tricks per book that can be performed from a shuffled deck which is more tricks than most modern day magic books contain in total.

Unless I'm sessioning, I perform most of my items in sets of (usually) three effects. I choose the items for the set based upon how they play but also based upon how well I can segue from one to the other.

While I would refer you my comments in the link below for a longer discussion, the simple list of tips to address your question would be:

- Starting with a shuffled deck is a wasted opportunity assuming you have a credible false shuffle. Having an audience that insists on shuffling is a separate topic that would confuse this thread. If you need a complex full-deck stack, put it first, or...
- Learn several good deck switches.
- Be aware of tricks that don't completely demolish the stack so that you can recycle part of the stack in a future trick.
- Learn a good cull (one of the Hofzinser type and at least one of the subtle, repositioning types). Every time you look at the cards during a performance for any reason you have the opportunity to set the deck up covertly in front of the audience.
- Be aware of opportunities to shift from one type setup to another. For example, a single faro shuffle at the end of a color-separation effect opens the door to a Gilbreath routine.
- Be alert to opportunities a deck in new deck order present. Examples include:

--- 2 faros and 4 overhand shuffles and you have Si Stebbins in less than 30 seconds.
--- Si Stebbins *is* also set up for a Gilbreath trick.
--- 1 faro from a new deck and the colors are separated without ever looking at the faces. (But if you didn't personally open and remove the new deck, look at the faces!)
--- 2 faros from new deck order gets you set for Gilbreath.
--- 1 adjustment and 1 faro and you're in position for the 13/14 or 14/15 force (or better, my 15/15 force)

This is just a short list of ways that you might think about your magic. BUT, if you don't want to deal with this, stick to the thousands of semi-automatic card tricks that can be performed using a shuffled deck.

Here's the other thread that gives my views on stacks (semi-automatic and otherwise):

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

I've only scratched the surface - but this may already be more information than you wanted.

Best,
Steve
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
Dear Steve,

Thank you for the reply, this will help out a lot.

John
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Steve puts a unique section at the back of his books called "Routine Builder" that would go a long way to helping.

Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Steve Beam
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of Steve Beam
Mick, I put that back there for my own use. I thought I pulled those pages out of your photocopy. Please disregard. Steve
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
No problem, I'll get one of my daughters to straighten out those three brads in the folder and take it out myself (you'd think you could splurge a bit on the binding, Steve).

Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Steve Beam
View Profile
V.I.P.
169 Posts

Profile of Steve Beam
...And you could splurge a bit on some paid help. Those brads are in there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2007 entrée: Steve Beam » » Question about Setting up semi-automatic work » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL