The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Anyone doing Tabary's Rope routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

the myth
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of the myth
Hi all,

I've put together a routine based on Tabary's FISM routine, but I've always wondered why he says that he throws the rope out into the audience considering the fashion in which he ends. Does anyone have any insight into this? Is there a way you can throw the rope out to the spectators?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Hi the myth
Welcome to the magic Café. When I hear someone say "get a rope" I make a quick exit.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I used to toss the rope from a version of Prof's Nightmare out to the audience. It was a gaffed rope, but the couple of folks in the front row that got it might have figured it out, but the 1,000 or so rest of the audience was FRIED.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
On the tape that I have of him, he throws the rope at the BEGINNING.

s
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
There are ways on ending clean in that situation that allow you to toss out the rope for examination afterwards. Check out Fiber Optics or David Williamson's ring and rope routine. Personally, I think the advice Tabary gave on his DVD is really bold and prone to flashing.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I do the Tabray routine all the time. I never throw the rope out into the audience nor do I let an audience member inspect any of my props. Once you let someone inspect one of you props, you potentially opening the flood gates.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Right on Darkwing! Besides opening the flood gates it creates dead time. Why run when no one is chasing you!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've done a variation on Tabray's routine with a bit of Daryl's thrown in for fun, I've never given the rope for examination, and have never had anyone ask me to examine it. I sort of , ala Daryl, wind it up and put it away as part of the routine so I am reset for the next time. (One very valuable lesson I learned from Daryl was to figure out ways of ending as many of my tricks as possible in a way that they are ready to be packed and used again with no set up, saves a huge amount of time. Of course all tricks can't be done this way, but it sure is a time saver). Even when I ask a spectator from the audience to examine something I really don't actually let them examine it, they examine some aspect of it I want them to examine, i.e. pulling on one end of a rope, looking at a single ring for a ring and rope trick, looking at a fanned deck , but not handing them the deck, etc. If it is an effect that finishes clean and I'm doing a close up type trick, yes I will let it lay on the table a few seconds for them to examine, but not if I'm about to do another trick or a later trick in the set that can't be examined. After all why would a magician allow you to examine one prop at the end of a trick, but not examine all of the props in later tricks? Most of the people who want to "look at that" are the very types you don't want looking at anything, they are looking to be the center of attention and expose u. They are hecklers, and out to ruin the show. I had a 12 year old boy bolt up on stage once and head to my used props from the show (during the show) to examine them, I stepped between him and his intended target , turned him back towards the audience and simply said, "I understand you would like to examine everything, but magical props are very, very expensive, and I can't risk them being damaged. The kid and nobody in the audience thought it was an unreasonable thing to say, and it avoided a big problem.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Father Photius
I couldn't have said it better myself, and for a priest you sure talk like a professional magician, who has done many shows.
Al Angello
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
On stage: I do throw out the rope. It is a little boom at the end.
Closeup/Street: I let somebody pull on the rope, as I am pulling on the other end, so that everybody "can see the magnets"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Roland Henning
Where the h*** have you been? I've been talking about you for months. Please look around at the rope magic section, and tell us about your great rope, and ring & rope routines. Also check the ring & string section too, this is a great opportunity for me to pick you brain.
WELCOME MY FRIEND
Al Angello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Anyone doing Tabary's Rope routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL