The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Die Box Ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Hi,

Have finally got myself a lovely old Die Box.

Can anyone point me to any good routines with it?

Thanks.

Kindest regards
James

james@magicfun.co.uk
http://www.magicfun.co.uk
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Over the years, I have come up with a number of different routines for the die box.
In my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine of June, 1999, I do a version where the box is the White House and the die has pictures of various presidents on it (for a holiday version or contemporary comedy version).
I have also changed the die into a "Rubik's Cube," sticking the colors of the cube over the die and shell.
I never use just the jumbo die.
After all, who has ever seen a die that big, unless it was a magician's prop (or you were a contestant on The Price Is Right!)?
My favorite routine is an old Bill Larsen Sr. routine from the 1920s, which appeared in Genii magazine sometime in the '60s or '70s, where the die has pictures of bones on it and the box is described as "Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard".
The poem is then dissected (very funny routine) as the "bone" slides from side to side and finally vanishes, re-appearing in a cardboard "doghouse" (rather than a hat).
Given a little thought, no doubt you can come up with dozens of routines.
But, please, don't just use it as a box that holds a ridiculously big die!
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
There was a routine in the MAGIC magazine a few months back where it was used as a mailbox and the die was a parcel to be sent to someone.

The article was written in Silly Billy's column.

Consider making the box into a computer like structure. The die could be all the information. When the system crashes, you lose all the information, so you go back to the store to get the parts you need.

Just an idea I thought of. Kids love computers these days.

cheers,

j.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
If you are trying to appeal to kids, decoupage some Harry Potter stuff on it, cut from books or printed off your computer. If you said it was a magic cube belonging to Harry Potter, that would make perfect sense to kids. With more creativity you could do better than that too.
quack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Die Box Ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL