The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New trick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
I learned a new trick this week. I made a video a couple of days ago while I was at work. I posted it. But it was under bad conditions, I kept looking over my sholder to see if my boss could see me... I didn't want to be caught doing other non-work-related-activities Smile
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgnXSrQy23U

Today I made another video, where I could work on it a bit, iron out some kinks, I've also practised a lot so I think it looks better! at least to me Smile
Here's that link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ZZ1loSiO8

so comments? tips? etc. are offcourse more than welcome...

Does anyone know what this trick is called? I didn't learn it from a book or anything, I kinda figured it out while I was practising my "Color Monte" variation. Since this is so simple, surely someone other than me must have invented it, it would be cool to see if it is in a book or something, maybe the books has some tips on moves etc..

Currently I'm working on DL's I'm practising to do that switch that HNTVProduction
did in his last video he posted here. And I'm hoping to start working on a ACR after that.

Doc-Z
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
At first, I missed the effect.

I noticed it on the second video, because I was looking for the effect.

Have you presented it to real spectators, yet? They are the ones that let ou know if a trick that YOU perform is good or not.

The trick--of a card turning over in a small packet of cards has been done in different ways.

Wil
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Thank you for your comments

I tried this trick out today. Me and my wife went to a family dinner at my mothers. People liked it. But maybe they're biased, beeing my family and all... Maybe I shouldn't flip the cards over? Maybe the effect is more prominent then?
This could be the sort of trick that is more patter driven, than effect. I did it like this, I told them I had two red aces and a black one. The ace of spades is a stuburn sob, and doesn't take direction easilly. A demonstration follows. I flip the ace of spades over, put it on the table, then I put it inbetween the two red aces, face down. But when it's squared up, it is facing the opposite direction of the two red aces. Maybe I should do it a bit different?

Doc-Z
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
If they liked it, keep doing it the way you know.

With different performace situations you'll develop handlings (That stem from a general concept) that seem right for the performing venue, and your presentational style.

Just make sure the trick is easy to follow, and make the presentation of it interesting and entertaining.

Have you played around using the elmsley count to show the card has turned over.
The different tricks out there also cause each card to turn over one at a time, using, secret turnovers, multiple lifts, false counts (e.i. elmsley) etc.

Wil
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Kudos for going during work!! Now we know what dedication is!!

Bravo!!

Best,
Monte
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Your trick is a "variation" of Cros Twist from the Art of Astonishment (by Paul Harris).

The inserting part is the same, but in Cros Twist, the card visibly turns over. The same book has another variation (Bizzare Twist) in which the card also changes its back colour.
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Hmm...personally doesn't do much for me. If your audience likes it, stick with it. Regardless of if I personally like the trick or not, the handling of it looked good, and the spectator would have to be paying A LOT of attention to figure out.

Once again, looks like you're learning a lot in a short amount of time, and I'm still impressed with what you've done.

-Dustin
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Thank you all for your comments! I'll be sure to check out the library for that book. Hope they have it! Smile Amade3us, do you think there could be something I could do to improve the trick? So that it may appeal more to you? As for dedication, well I've nearly gotten divorced over this magic thing Smile Hehe.. well maybe not that extreme, but my wife thinks it's kind of silly... But I told her she should be glad I picked up a thing that costs $3 for a deck of cards, a trip or two to the library, and a DVD or four. The guys I work with have hobbies that are a bit more expensive, this one guy decided to take up golf, and bought golf gear for $4000, this other guy bought a bicycle (the real kind) for $5000. So I said I could drop this magic thing, but I might pick up golf... anyways.. back to practise for me Smile

Doc-Z
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 22:39, Utkarsh Sinha wrote:
Your trick is a "variation" of Cros Twist from the Art of Astonishment (by Paul Harris).

Is't it Bizarre Twist?

Hideo Kato
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Doc,

I think Wil stated it best. Just not enough happening in it to be a trick in and of itself. I do use the same move in an original sandwich effect that I do, so I could consider your trick more of a utility move I suppose. I don't know...words seem to be failing me somewhat this morning, but I hope you get the idea.

-Dustin
docz
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
123 Posts

Profile of docz
Thanks again, I will work on it, maybe I can find something more to put in it. I'll check out that Bizarre Twist if I can find it.

Cheers!

Doc-Z
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Quote:
On 2007-03-30 06:02, Hideo Kato wrote:
Is't it Bizarre Twist?

Most probably you're right... I'm always confused between the two, and I don't have the book right now... Smile
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New trick... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL