The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » How many silk routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ddurrett
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ddurrett
I'm curious and wanted to know how many silk routines you guys perform per show. And how many silk routines would you be comfortable performing in the same show? Thanks.
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I have a whole silk act. It starts with the colour changing effect, where the silk vanishes and then it is split in two. Next, they are tied together and another silk (different colour) appears between then and finally those are transformed into a big silk (Blendo).

The whole thing takes about 5 minutes. Packs flat and plays big.

For the kids shows I have yet another effect. Knots are taken off the silk three times and in the end three holes are in the big silk.

More effects would be too much, I think.
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
I'm guessing you should keep it to one silk routine in a show. The reason why I'd suggest that is because two silk routines could seem repetitive to the spectators. To us magicians, the two routines may be completely different because they utilize different methods. But to the spectators, we are just sorta "doing stuff with silks" again. Does that make sense? I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well.

I'm not in any way saying you should avoid effects that use silks after doing a silk routine. If you do a silk routine early in the show and then want to do 20th Century Silks or something later on, go for it.

I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend 2 lengthy routines with the same props in one show. If you want to do another routine in your show but you've already done a silk routine, do a sponge ball routine. Or cups and balls routine. Or ring and rope routine.

That's just my two cents...
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
As long as the effects are different you can perform as many as you want. In my parasol act I produce a lot bare handed. I also do the silk fountain and have streamers that descend from the tops of the parasols. In my full evening show, on top of the parasol act, I do stuff like the mutilated parasol, which uses silks, and produce a bunch for my finally routine. The possibilities are endless. It is all up to the performer on number.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » How many silk routines? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL