The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where can I find the Best Fake Fruit? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
SDMagic...

Do the fruit have a nice feel to them? I bought some fake fruit some time ago
off an internet site and it felt like Styrofoam with a hard outer-shell.
It made a bit of noise when you loaded them and was a bit of a give away...

Is the fruit you got similar?

I am looking for something that is going to have the texture of a rubber ball...

Also has anyone tried the fake fruit on Hank Lee's... It is made of Latex.. Sounds promising..

Shawn.
Shawn.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I'm very interested in the answers to this post. Let us know more about the fruit you got. Especially the mellon. Also, are the oranges big enough for Gazzo size cups? Thanks a million.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1272 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
Does anyone know if the fake lemons from here are any good and fit the average cup?

LINK
-Vinnie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know anyone who has tried their fruit. You might want to call them and find out what the characteristics of their fruit are.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I bought the fax fruit honeydew. It's very realistic. It's the right size. I am exchanging it for the fake cantalope however because the honeydew is very heavy and it's a bit too hard to grab for my tastes. The cantalope promises to be perfect because it's lighter, it isn't solid so it will give a bit for the grab (I like to grab rather than scoop) and it has a texture, which will also help. It is one inch shorter but the same width as the honeydew. By the way, the measurements on the fax fruit website are all wrong. You've got to talk to them to get the real dimensions. The oranges they have are either too big or too small for the gazzo cups. I am trying one of their lemon sizes for my smaller cups. Will let you know.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Jim... why not use a coconut?
Seems the perfect thing for a hat load.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
I bought a few items from faxfoods a number of years ago. Their products were really terrific then and I assume just as terrific now. The fruit I have looks just as good now as when I bought it.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I agree. The lemon I was sent--which I'm sending back because it's too small--the lemon is extremely realistic. It even feels like a real lemon.
Frank,
I prefer mellons to coconuts because they are bigger and lighter in color.

Jim
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
When will whomever need fake fruit find it for gawdsakes?

Just buy real fruit!

When will this thread ever end?

Oh the humanity!!!

;)
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
I highly recommend Michael Ammar's "Fab Fruit"
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, but am I right that fab fruit are for very small cups. A lot of us use large street cups.

Jim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mike redimensioned all of his fruit to fit the smaller Encore cups. So, although they are fine replicas, they are really a bit too small for use in certain situations.

Michael had a really good idea. He wanted to be able to work from his jacket pockets, so he had loads made up that would fit. The cups were basically designed for the loads, or at least that's what I have gathered.

Now that the cups are no longer available, it may be that other cups will need to be considered, if you want to use the current crop of fab fruit.

Fake fruit is one of those controversial subjects. Some people abhor their use and point out to their audiences that they use real fruit. What's the point? If the audience doesn't suspect anything, then why inform them about things that aren't their business?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
I now use the fake cantaloupe from faxfoods for my "hat load". It is indistinguishable from a real cantaloupe. It has a great weight to it, and makes a loud thump when produced from the hat!

I use it because for me, it is a lot more practical than using a real one. I never have to change it out or worry that its going to leak all over my beautiful leather Gazzo poacher's pouch!

It is unfortunate that the faxfoods oranges are too large for the Gazzo cups. Those oranges look and feel like the real thing. So until I find a good fake orange, I'll stick with the real thing.
martysh
View Profile
Special user
Greenville,SC
527 Posts

Profile of martysh
Bill's most recent summary of this is right on the mark... and sdmagic right above me is reasonable in his assessment too..it sure works for him..

Johnny Mystic was too crass in his comments..we are in the same town right now and if I catch up with him I will be pleased to set him straight.

getting the fruit for a show sure is a pain... I have been doing it for more than 2 years ...leaking with this kind of fruit is really not a problem.. I once had a long over due orange that was ..let's say too soft in one place but it didn't hurt the pounch .. the pouch is really indestructible. and it should be used heartily and not be handled too daintily

My point... if you are on the street and or working for kids much ... real close to your audience as most of us are .. the real fruit at the end allowed to be inspected is so much worth the hassle. indoors a hoity toity group who sits two rows away the fakes will certainly be efficient...but for up close and dirty ..consider the trouble of real fruit..especially for the touchy feely ones.

My guess is that it in itself adds to the hat...
maximizes the effect..
in fact after the melon appears I thump it again and hand it out to the weakest one in the center of the crowd. (Marty gets "touchy feely")

I don't really criticize the efficiency of using fake fruit but please give the advantages of real fruit some merit as it sure improves the impact by my mind a most significant moment... what you might say...."a moment of power"

The little details make the difference...

I hope this helps you take a different viewpoint of the question.. to my mind it is almost basic thinking especially streetwise. We all in our own ways should be concerned of the impact we have with our audiences. I hand my ending out...can you?

Marty
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
These might be good. I don't know.

http://www.buyplasticfruit.com/.query.li......iew.73.O
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Quote:
On 2007-06-15 15:29, Frank Starsini wrote:
These might be good. I don't know.

http://www.buyplasticfruit.com/.query.li......iew.73.O

That polyfoam has a very light feel and hollow sound when loaded...

I really did not like it..

Shawn.
Shawn.
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
I need some advice I want to get Ammars fab fruit . do you think I should get the lemon, lime, tomato and turnip or get all 4 of the same and if so which ones?

thanks

please pm me

adam
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I just bought the Fab Fruit, just waiting for it to arrive. I understand that these fruits will fit in the Johnson cups perfectly. I hope so. I ordered a lemon, lime. tomato, and potato.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I ordered a newer set of fab fruit and was not happy with the size.

They are very small. I spoke to Hannah on the phone last week and she
said they were having a new batch molded that would be "a bit larger"

For me they were just to small for my standard cups..

Shawn.
Shawn.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I got my fab fruit today. Yes, they were a bit smaller than I thought, but they fit the Johnson cups. They have a nice weight to them and they look deceptively real.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Where can I find the Best Fake Fruit? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL