The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Rich Marotta (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Has anyone seen his DVDs before? If so, would you recommend this one good at teaching comedy? http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details.......VDRM2COM

Thanks
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I have the stand up version of this DVD and was quite disappointed.

1) He is not very funny
2) He doesn't teach all of the routines.
3) He does not teach much about comedy
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the info, Nicholas.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Quote:
On 2007-03-31 23:37, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I have the stand up version of this DVD and was quite disappointed.

1) He is not very funny
2) He doesn't teach all of the routines.
3) He does not teach much about comedy

I'll second that.

"He is not very funny"?

I'd say not funny at all. But different strokes for different folks. What's with all the drug humour?

M:C
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
Drug humor is like cursing and jokes about sex. It's what people do who can't get a legitimate laugh.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando, FL
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I disagree - any laugh is a legitmate laugh (toilet humour, sex humour, drug humour). However, you need to pick the venue otherwise you offend a large part of your audience
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
Did not care for the Rich Marotta vid's
left out the explaination of the only worth while peice I saw on the vid and sells that now for way too much money.
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rich can actually be quite funny.

Problem is not on the DVD's. I am not sure what the translation problem is exactlty.

Mike, are you stopping mentalism now and being a comedy magician?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
The one with Twila Zone is very lame as well.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I think Billy Connelly gets a laugh!
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Rich's video - Walk Around Comedy Magic (vol 2) isn't horrible. It isn't wonderful either. But I wasn't ticked that I spent my money on it. He seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 13:47, markis wrote:
The one with Twila Zone is very lame as well.

Worst DVD in my collection.

I have no idea why I bought it!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Rich has had a very successful career in the performing arts. I would sincerely hope that all of his expert critics (above) enjoy the same good fortune... but I doubt it.

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The funniest thing about the DVD is that I found this thread 2 minutes after I bought it.

Actually, I wasn't too disappointed but I had read this thread before watching it so had very low expectations. (Usually it's the opposite way around). There's a couple of presentational ideas that I found interesting & I thought his facial hair was funny.

"I would sincerely hope that all of his expert critics (above) enjoy the same good fortune... but I doubt it." I think they where criticising his DVDs not the man himself.

George
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-04-17 13:13, magicgeorge wrote:
"[...] I think they where criticising his DVDs not the man himself."

George

You view their statements, George, in the kindest of all possible lights...

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
I actually enjoyed these, and thought he gave some excellent advice on comedy and transitions between effects.

I thought the card in orange was the funniest routine of it's kind I have seen.

Best line there I thought was when he cuts open the orange, he squeezes some juice out and says, " You try and get them to go before the show....they don't have to".
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
...And his breath stinks!
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Where can I find the trick nailed by rich marotta? is it in print or video the explanationn ty
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2023, aheller5 wrote:
Where can I find the trick nailed by rich marotta? is it in print or video the explanationn ty

I have been looking for it as well. Seems to be sold out everywhere. Big bummer!
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
"Nailed" is shown and explained on Marotta's "Walk-Around Comedy Magic" video. I've also been looking through my older books. I remember it being in a youth oriented, general public book I bought back in the 60s. It was also a gag prop sold by Adams back in the day.

There is nothing complicated about the routine and the prob is easily and inexpensively home mede. Two nickels, a roofing nail, and some super glue (J-B Weld) and you have the props. I still have the one I made in the 60s. I actually spot welded the nail to the nickel (I was taking shop at the time).

Side story: I actually made two rolls of nickels (80) gimmicks and matched them with nickels from two other rolls. I sold them all to Mishell's Magic Shop in downtown El Paso. Mr. MIshell (no relation to Ed Mishell) bought them for a whopping $20.00. He wrote an instruction sheet and sold them for $0.50 each. I think it took him 5 or 8 years to sell them all.

As to the Marotta DVDs. They were made in the late 90s and represent humor of that time. Some does not translate today almost 25 years later. There is much to be learned from them in my opinion. I got them when they were new and on video tape and found them valuable at the time. I liked and used (in my own style) his take on "Red Ashes" until open flames were no longer allowed in the venues I worked. I still think Mugged is as strong as any of the "hold-up" routines produced (including Tommy Wonder's). But as I always say "Horses for courses" and as always I could be wrong.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Rich Marotta (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL