The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where do you get spring snakes? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I would like to build some spring snake props (along the lines of David Ginn's suggestions), but I need to find a place to buy spring snakes (or just the compressible springs -- I am likely to cover the springs with my own material). David Ginn used to offer them, but no longer appears to. Can anyone refer me to a source?

0pus
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13334 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I believe jolly roger sells them.
http://www.comicmagician.com/
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I think David Ginn still carries them:

http://ginnmagic.com/Bindex.htm
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Why don't you make your own?

Simple enough.

Then you'll have the length you require and the diameter AND you can tailor make the ends to be round, comical pointed or flat.

Further more you can select the fabric.

Really, they're not difficult to make and a suite - ie with a connective family style whilst retaining individuality - is a professional hallmark.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Tony, where can you get the right type of springs? I have looked around and can't find them. I found a tutorial that says how to wind your own springs, but it looked pretty dangerous and not worth the trouble.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Yes, Tony. Where do you get the right springs?

Since I will likely be covering them myself, it would be great if I couls buy just the springs.

0pus
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1781 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
http://www.thomasnet.com/

You can find almost anything on this site.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-01 13:46, Neznarf wrote:
http://www.thomasnet.com/

You can find almost anything on this site.
Yes, thomasnet.com is a great resource - but that is just a listing service for many industrial sites. Which of those sites sell the proper type of spring, without having to buy a pallet or truckload?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2401 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Any tall grass may harbor a few - but work quickly, they only come out in the spring.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
I have a ton of them and am willing to part with them email me at mcadamsmagic@msn.com and we can work out the details!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2007-04-01 22:37, rossmacrae wrote:
Any tall grass may harbor a few - but work quickly, they only come out in the spring.

It's the right season here but I've had no luck in the tall grass. It's as if someone has driven them all out of the country (well it's too far too slither).

The first one from daytona looked great.

George
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24166 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can make your own springs from piano wire. You need to find a source of fairly long pieces, though. Wind the springs around a dowel or closet pole. Be careful and wear eye protection.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 12:49, magicgeorge wrote:

It's the right season here but I've had no luck in the tall grass. It's as if someone has driven them all out of the country (well it's too far too slither).

The first one from daytona looked great.

George

Ahhh yes, old St. Paddy what a kill joy! Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
That was great, George! I heard if you use spring snakes in Ireland you have to live at the Guinness factory the rest of your days...is this true?
:)
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
BJ Hickman sells a nice one in a can of Ovaltine. Decent size, and made of cloth, not the cheap plastic ones.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 18:00, Bill Palmer wrote:
You can make your own springs from piano wire. You need to find a source of fairly long pieces, though. Wind the springs around a dowel or closet pole. Be careful and wear eye protection.
This can be pretty dangerous, so if you decide to undertake this project read this first:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/design.html

(note: there are also good sources for springs listed in the "links" section if you decide to skip doing it yourself)
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2394 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You could also score some cheap plastic covered ones, ditch the plastic and sew up some cloth covers.

Having made springs in a former life I would say this would probably be the cheaper, easier, and less heartbreaking, way to go. YMMV

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Let's dig this up again, because I've recently acquired a Goofus Plant. It came with what looks like original Supreme Magic instructions, which describe 5 spring snakes, but this only came with two. I would really like to use 5 smaller (about 12 inch) spring snakes, preferably with different colors. But all these posts are old and/or have expired links. Derek Rutt is gone, Jolly Roger seems to have only his books listed on his products page, and nothing on Ginn's website as well. Who sells good quality cloth spring snakes? I'd prefer to have them already made, as I don't have the time or talent to do it myself.
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Here are the snakes I have used. http://www.icklepicklemagic.com/store/in......t_id=245
Not sure how they match up with your specific needs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Where do you get spring snakes? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL