The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mora Wand Spin Ball Vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
Kent,
I really like that 3 step approach. I think that will make it seem less overwhelming. Thanks for sharing the great idea.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Don't get frustrated with it. Once you have the spin down, everything else is timing. Let us know how it goes.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Ken Sterling
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ken Sterling
Conjuror.
I used Michael Ammar's instructions in the wand he sells and then on the C&B video. It comes eventually. You'll get it!
Ken.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I use the Vernon Wand Spin a lot. I sent my cups and balls routine to Bill and he caught me on the exchange. My problem wasn't that the fingers moved but my whole fist 'ticked' or jerked a little counter-clockwise! I worked on it as hard as I could but I couldn't stop it!

So I cheat. When I start the spin I bring the left hand up and as the wand approaches from below the left hand drops from above. Both hands are moving the whole time.

It works every time and yes, Bill, my hand STILL has that ticking motion.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Vernon wand spin vanish (from the Dai Vernon Book of Magic) is not the same as the Ammar wand spin vanish.

Does anyone know the difference?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I remember Michael telling the story about showing it to Vernon and when asked where he learned it Michael replied "From you! It's your wand spin" Dai responded "It is? I'm in favor of it!"

So that leads me to believe there was a difference, but I don't know what it is.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The photos in the Dai Vernon Book of Magic show Vernon holding the wand between his thumb and index finger.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You're right! (as usual Smile ) I hadn't noticed that before. First finger or second finger, it doesn't matter to me. I can drop the wand equally well from either position.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24263 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't feel bad about not noticing it before. I just noticed it last night. I've had the book for almost 40 years!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
There are a couple of other differences. To some extent this is navel-gazing, but here you go:

In Michael Ammar's description of the wand spin in the Complete Cups & Balls book, he states that to start with, the wand is held between thumb, first and second fingers (which differs from the Ganson description of Vernon's wand spin, as noted above) - and also says that the wand never moves from between the index and middle fingers, which is not true.

The wand 'spin' (i.e. the spin achieved by momentum alone) finsihes after the drop is completed with the wand pointing away from the body at an angle of about 60 degrees [photo #11 in the Ammar book and (coincidentally) photo #11 in the Ganson description in the Vernon book - or the Stanley/Supreme booklet]. Ganson correctly describes the next move - in which forward pressure from the thumb snaps the wand from between the index & middle fingers so that the wand is held between the index finger and thumb (rotating the wand another 10 degrees or so). This position is shown is photo #12 of the Vernon book, but happens sometime between photos #11 and #12 in the Ammar book.

Once that position is reached, the wand makes a further quarter turn towards the body that is achieved by movement of the right hand/wrist, so that the wand is brought almost parallel with the body, pointing at the left hand; the right hand & wand are held fairly close to the body. Ganson accurately describes this and is shown in photo #13 in the Vernon book, but it is omitted from the Ammar book. Curiously, there's no specific mention of this extra quarter turn in the Ammar video/DVD either - even though the movement is clearly shown during demo & performance.

The differences between the descriptions are partly the result of the Ammar book relying almost completely on photographs to convey the movements of the wand and this is sadly one of the deficiencies of the book.

So, the differences are (1) start position (index/thumb) (2) role of the thumb in completing the spin (3) hand/wrist movement to complete the final quarter turn (4) finish position (index/thumb)

Confused? You will be!

Just to make things even less clear, take a look at Vernon's perormance on the Mark Williams show at the end of the Ammar video/DVD. The Professor clearly starts doing the spin with the wand held between index finger & thumb (as in the Ganson description). However, he makes the drop after the spin has been completed rather than during the motion of the spin! This may be because he was sitting (it's easier & more comfortable to do the spin & catch when standing because of body position). Even though he apparently breaks his own rules, it's still very deceptive - but that's the Professor for you.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
To help people that may have some questions about the technique, here is the Youtube videos to watch.
I find the Vernon video interesting in that when Vernon drops the ball he makes a good amount of finger movement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpC4fvrdiUk

Here is the Ammar Routine as Well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzh3VbXSds

There is a lot ot learn from both routines.
Enjoy,
mobius
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Here's Mendoza with sherwood engraved cups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxV-uN6YT......;search=
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Mora Wand Spin Ball Vanish (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL