The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » 2 years interest?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hoagini
View Profile
New user
USA
34 Posts

Profile of Hoagini
What are your thoughts on the 2 years interest in magic rule to be a member of the IBM? I'd like to hear some thoughts before I make my decision on how I feel about it.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Two years isn't a very long time, especially when it comes to learning and experience. Of course no one is going to hire a private investigator to go back and check out your magic background. I'm sure more than one new member of the IBM has been in magic less than two years. The idea is to keep the membership composed of people who are staying with magic. Many people begin new things and then never really follow through. I taught martial arts for years, the average new student lasted about 3 months. They all came in Gung Ho, but when the new wore off and it became repetition and work they dropped out. Someone who has invested two years in magic is very likely to stay with it for the long run.
And I've never heard of a case of the IBM prosecuting someone for perjury for saying they were in magic two years and weren't.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
I agree,

We want members who are serious about learning the art of magic.

Especially in today's world there are so many different kinds of interest offered.
The I.B.M. is only interested in members who are ready to commit themselves as students.

We want members who are committed to keeping our secrets. There must be a love and respect for the art of magic. This does not happen over night. It takes time and personal pursuit to develop this kind of commitment.

Two year of personal interest shows the kind of commitment we are looking for.

Steve Hart
I.B.M. membership chair
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
653 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Photios Brings Up a great point that after two years of interest your average person Is committed. so At this point we as an Organization need to pledge our commitment to this person to help mentor them. Are we willing to make a two year pledge to a new to magic member?
Believe you then that I do strange things
JasonbytheOcean
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, D.C.
101 Posts

Profile of JasonbytheOcean
I disagree with the two-year rule, as I probably wouldn't have qualified for membership under it.

Aside from some early performing as a kid (basically a session at summer camp), and a general interest in watching and knowing one or two card tricks, I really didn't get into magic until I graduated college and had time to pursue hobbies. My boss had a friend in IBM who referred me to the organization. The first time I showed up at the local Ring, I was much more of a spectator thinking of pursuing it more actively.

However, the members really took me in and accepted me, though I shudder now when I think about my performance on New Members' Night. In the 5-6 years since, I've come a long way, though not as far as I intend to go, and branched into other aspects of magic I find equally (and even more) rewarding as performing - crafting the right story, researching the history, etc. I can attribute all of this to that little spark I had since I was a kid, but really didn't light until IBM accepted me in.

Perhaps an alternative possibility is to make the first one or two years a probationary period, where members revote, to ensure the caliber of members meets certain standards? People can make up their past, but I suspect it'll be harder to fake intentions for a year so at club meetings. If they're serious, they'll demonstrate it. If not, boot 'em.

Or maybe all IBM members just have a responsibility to ensure that they really are in agreement, when they sign the nomination form, that the person they're signing for really deserves to be in our organization?
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Jason,

There is an exception for Youth, ages 10-17.

They are not required the two year interest.

This is under discussion at this moment at the executive board level as they are about to vote and establish some new guidelines for the Youth in the I.B.M.

Steve Hart

I.B.M. Membership Chair
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
711 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
I agree with Mr. Hart when he mentioned that "We want members who are serious about learning the art of magic". It's not about quantity of membership but the quality of members that we have...

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » 2 years interest?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL