The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Topit advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sak07
View Profile
New user
Stirling/Manchester UK
54 Posts

Profile of sak07
I've decided to venture into the world of topiting and having read the previous forums. It seems that the Cellini topit is the one for me but where can I get one from in the UK preferably or over the net in the states? Also, has anyone tried the Davenports topit? How long does it take to be up to performace standard with the topit? I've heard it's a long road.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I don't think that anyone will sell you a topit. The Cellini lecture notes have a pattern, and you will have to have it made for you. I don't do any topiting yet either, but the Cellini topit is the way to go I think.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I know nothing about this, so good luck.
It's only a six dollar gamble, and it might actually work.

http://daytonamagic.net/customer/index.c......ctId=196
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
ralphdean
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern Ca
302 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
Hocus-Pocus.com has Ammar's video set on closeout for $39 while their supply lasts.

I ordered a set yesterday.
Carlos Hampton
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Carlos Hampton
The Ammar tapes and book is the way to go. A lot of thought has been put into this design, and the magic contained in the book and videos is just outstanding.

Ammar vs Cellini---Ammar for sure in topit issues.

Good Luck
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
They are NOT hard to make or sew, in fact, if you can iron, you can use iron on tape for the seams! (Just be sure to check it after you have it cleaned or washed, or better still, use the safety pin method and remove for cleaning!) They work nicely, and if your garment is tailored for your body size/shape (like mine is) they will work nicely.
When you decide on a pattern you want, go to the fabric store, talk to the nice lady and say you want some black fabric, not shiny (or whatever color your lining is).
Tell her if you can sew or not, and if not, ask for the iron on fuse tape. Heck, she may take pity on you and offer to sew it for you for a couple dollars. Pay her in coins that you magically produce! Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Faroshuffle
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA (Orangevale)
69 Posts

Profile of Faroshuffle
Tim Ellis & Sue Anne Webster just lectured here in Sacramento at Grand Illusions. Tim had a modified topit he uses and had some great tips on it. The most effective tip I saw was the use of a magnetic attachment on the belt where the topit would attach to your waist. This makes hook-up a breeze! Beyond that, it was an Ammar design.

Hope this helps! I liked it! Smile
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Anyone tried the JSB topit yet?
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Just to put credit where credit is due, the magnetic set up is Cellini's.

I believe Ammar's topit is definitely easiest to use over Davenport and Cellini. Cellini's has advantages however, but I think it is something best left for a more advanced user for a number of reasons. The Davenport topit is the only topit that I know one can actually buy ready made but I think the Ammar Topit has more flexibility and accuracy. I'm not familiar with the actual use of the JSB topit. I haven't used it. The Ammar Topit does require careful adjustment to your body type hand level, etc. as does Cellini's to an even greater extent.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you are in the UK and can get hold of Pat Page (he's almost always at the Circle on Monday nights) he is the original great topit demo man. He worked at Davenports for years.

I would start with the Davenport one, it is all ready to go and you will find out how to use one.

I don't know about Celini's "magnet" but I had a magnetic set up topit in 1950s... Also Fred Lowe had a terrific modification to a topit. Ask Pat Page about it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Sorry Pete,

I Didn't know that. I stand correcred. Cellini's magnet attaches the topit to the vest so that if you want you can open the coat, disconnecting the topit from the body. This also allows you to take the jacket off in front of the audience.

Pete, I have a question. I never practiced that much with my Davenport style Topit which I believe I got from Tannen's. Ammar says it's harder to "hit." Do you find this to be true? Ammar's is tapered to remedy this. Do you find this better?
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
247 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 04:10, dillib wrote:
Anyone tried the JSB topit yet?

Yes, I have them installed in both of my performance jackets. Its a variation on the Ammar that eliminates any chance of "over-shooting."

Have a wonderful and magical New Year!

~ Fredrick
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Topit advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL