The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hi there,

I am putting together a full evening show for a high school auditorium. The auditorium will seat 1000, and has a rather large stage. I am in the market to purchase a backdrop for this stage. I am interested in one like you see the Pendragons use that is black with what looks to be sparkles simulating stars. I think this would be the best because many of my illusions have different color schemes. I would also like to do an asrah in my show, and I've seen it done with this color backdrop. Who would I go to to make this and does anyone have a ball park figure of what kind of price I'm looking at? Thanks.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Thousands. 10 a square foot plus illuminator -- 500-1500

A standard 30x23 -- 7000.00
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Zigmont,

Is this a fibre optic curtain you are referring to, or a "starlight" curtain (small lighbulbs)?? The one I have is with bulbs and is the one Doug used with his double levitation, I believe. It's 50'x 28'. Not sure if fibre optic can give the same twinkling effect.

For curtains, use the web. There is a big drapery house near New York which also sells used curtains. Another location might be Adirondick Scenic. They do great canvas work and drapery also. They did the drapes/curtains for the Lance Burton theatre and have a great shop!! (Upstate New York)

Good Luck.

Blair Marshall
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Thank You Guys,

Zigmont, when you say the standard, do you mean seven thousand dollars? Also, will that backdrop work for an asrah? I think it will. Thank you very much.
-Beau Alexander
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Black on black is not good for thread work.
Mylar works best for asrah.
Standard backdrop size is 23x30
Yes I was talking about fiber optic stardrops and they do twinkle.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Eyelash curtain, red or blue could work also.
Doug worked with blue for his Adams' floating hanks, always had them moving a little.

Thanks Zigmont, Ab Dickson had suggested I redo the "ShaZzam!" logo with a fiber optic version.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Check with http://www.andersonsprom.com. They have all kind of decorations. Hope this helps.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Hey Beaudini, what was the ourtcome of your search?? What did you end up with?

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Hi Blair,

I havent decided on a backdrop yet, but i think that i will try and use just a flat black back drop for know and accentuate the illusions with nice lighting and F/X. Thank you all for your help.
-Beau Alexander
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

While you use this idea for your current show, you should keep on the lookout for a good deal on a backdrop (whatever kind you decide on). I would if I were you try to get smaller panels ie. 10-12 feet wide, when full and hung you would not notice the breaks and you could buy 2 and add later other panels for larger venues. 2 panels would allow for 16', 4 would give you 30-36' etc.

Best of luck.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Beau,
I know where you could borrow a set of flat black if you want.
I think we have about 24 ft of it.
Drop me an email or I'll see you at the auction Sat.

Shadow
abracaDEBRA
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of abracaDEBRA
Hi Guys:

PVC pipes have been problematic at best for me, I find the structure flimsy even though I anchored it in sand filled mc donalds pickle pails. Im thinking of going the way of the MDF...making a three way deal on hinges and covering with inexpensive wraped mirrorlike material from Ikea.
Just a thought guys...if you have better methods of mounting your pvc pipes I'm all ears:
Thanks Much:
DEB Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Deb,

Check out the backdrop section under FX I discuss the PVC Backdrops which I use.
Dennis Michael
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I rent my curtains and backdrops from a local theater. My IBM club also rents a complete stage, curtain, sound and lighting effects for next to nothing if you are a member.
Murray Hatfield
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
150 Posts

Profile of Murray Hatfield
Hi All,

Just thought I'd offer an suggestion that I used a few years back. I found that in the fabric/garment district in downtown L.A. you can buy fancy materials at a fraction of the prices you find in regular fabric stores.

I found several shops that sold sequined materials for as little as $1.89/yard. I bought 120 yards of a light black material covered with tiny (1/4 inch) blue sequins. I found a seamstress who sewed it into a 24 x 45 foot drop for just $200.00. I've since found the same material in other fabric stores for over $10.00/yard.

Because of the black and blue color scheme when you light the backdrop directly it turns a vibrant blue. When you light the stage without lighting the drop it fades to a dark blue/black.

The best part is that it's light (under 50 pounds), ties onto a flybar in minutes and can be crammed into a duffle bag without showing wrinkles. And all for under $500.00...

Murray
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Murray,

Thank you so much for your advice, i will definately look into that!

Beau
-Beau Alexander
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL