The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg routine help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
I'm a close-up worker, have been for about 35 years. I've had many opportunities to make the leap from close-up to stand-up, but never went for it. I don't know why I have the desire to do so now, but I'm going for it. One of the routines I have always loved is "Silk to Egg". I'm doing research and familiar with both Michael Ammar's and Whit Haydn's routines as reference. I would appreciate any suggestions as to other Silk to Egg routines. Thanks
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might consider alternatives to the use of a silk in the effect. Imagine pulling a long white ribbon from somewhere or something, then suddenly the ribbon is pulled into your fist by a "mysterious power" and when you open your hand, you have an egg. You can still do all the hokum with the hole in the egg if you want. In fact, a good bit with the hole is to pull it off the egg and stick it on your forehead. Crack open the egg to show it is real, and before you remove the "hole in your head" pull the ribbon (or silk) back out of it.

Take advantage of the fact that you have never done the trick before to come up with something new and different.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Close-up,

I just went through this at the Cavalcade of Magic in Eureka Springs this week. Perhaps you can catch me at a convention or lecture sometime. Where are you?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1920 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Do you use the silk to egg with the fake hole? I think this is a plus to the effect.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Bob:

While we're on this subject, what is the routining purpose with the second color of silk/sticker in the set that you sold at the Cavalcade (which I bought!)?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I wasn't there but I use different colors depending on the background I am working against or my wardrobe. Red silk against a red curtin does not show up as well as a yellow or blue silk.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The two color combinations are Red/Green and Blue/Yellow. The real purpose is to cover the bases but give some variety. Many of us work under conditions where it seems as if the audience in row three is the same all day long. The different colors help change the trick. Also, I combine Egg to Silk with 20th Century Silk (like I performed there) and the center silk in 20th Century has to match.

I will say you have great taste! We are having a difficult time keeping those good eggs in stock. As the importer, I get plenty but we stocked out twice in the last two months on them. The world of magic was ready for a quality egg prop again. (At $15 and including the egg, stickers and two 18" silks, it's cheaper than the one that looks like it without silks and won't fit an adult male thumb. It really should retail for between $40 and $60 for the set.)

Actually, I use an egg from one of those props rather than a TT to vanish an 18" silk anyway. First of all it works! Secondly, I'd rather get caught with an egg than a TT.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Bob:
This really is a great S to E set. The ceramic egg is slightly bigger - more realistic - than the ones I have had in the past.........

Great to see you at the Cavalcade - I had a blast!

Careful on those unicorns!....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 16:47, Robert Kohler wrote:
Bob:
This really is a great S to E set. The ceramic egg is slightly bigger - more realistic - than the ones I have had in the past.........

Great to see you at the Cavalcade - I had a blast!

Careful on those unicorns!....

Unlike the plastic and resin eggs, this egg is so natural that handling it like a real egg feels normal. Even with stage lights, the silk color does not shine through this egg either! (That should have been called "Color changing fake egg". LOL) In the past the color bleed has embarrassed many of us.

These eggs are natual enough to break if they fall or get crushed. Did you see what I use to transport mine (real egg and fake)?

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Yes - you gave me one..............
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The high-tech containers I use to transport the good egg and the real egg are just plastic Easter eggs that are hinged and snap closed. My last beauties came from that famous magic shop: Dollar Tree!

I use them for all sorts of things. Get a bag of them now while they have them. They will not only work for eggs but TTs, candles, coins, reels, etc.

Money is no object when you're having fun!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1678 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2007-04-02 01:44, close-up wrote:
I'm a close-up worker, have been for about 35 years. I've had many opportunities to make the leap from close-up to stand-up, but never went for it. I don't know why I have the desire to do so now, but I'm going for it. One of the routines I have always loved is "Silk to Egg". I'm doing research and familiar with both Michael Ammar's and Whit Haydn's routines as reference. I would appreciate any suggestions as to other Silk to Egg routines. Thanks

Close up--

I find a combination of 2-3 routines with your own easy handling will have you performing this effect to great reactions from your audience

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/search_po......=4750295

-Brent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I like it because it works for all ages, educations, occupations and the patter is not necessary to carry it. There are more and more people in the audiences who do not speak English.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk to Egg routine help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL