The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi all,

I have problems when I'm preparing my new manipulation act. What you use, I mean which steps during your preparation? Can anyone help me about my problem?

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
CAn you be moree specific regarding what problems you have. Is it routining and choosing effects or the practising or what.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I have problems in routining. I'm practicing and choose some of my effects. But how can I make them a routine now?

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Not everyone may agree with my advice but here goes.
Try to get your effects to flow into each other and try to make a story if possible. Work on your character to ensure that the act isn't dull.
As an example.
Do a multiplying Billard ball routine. Change a Billiard ball into a hankerchief and do a color changing hankerchief routine. Change a hankerchief into a cane and do a flying (levitating) cane routine. Change the cain to a big hankerchief and do Zombi routine. End by changing the Zombi back into a billiard ball and try to be in the exact same position as when you started.
Now ask yourself why all of the above happened and turn it into a story or character. Maybe you are waiting to use the bathroom and you are bored so you pick up a billiard ball and play to pass the time which leads to some magic. Then as soon as you are about to finish the bathroom becomes available to which you put the billiard ball down and enter the bathroom. I know this is probably miles from what you want but if I don't know which effects you can and want to do it is a little difficult. Try to flow and make it an entertaining story.
It doesn't have to be something funny or corny. That is just my personality and while many may not like it it works for me. Find the character that works for you.
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
I have to agree with abc. Working on and creating your character is key to a manipulation act.

I've said it before - so I'll say it again. Create a story with your presention. I have to agree with everything abc is saying.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Create a story, but try to make it short.

I've been working on a "Professor's Nightmare" presentation for my S.A.M. assembly. I'd developed a straight, "magical" storyline for it that I thought was pretty good. But as I was walking to lunch today, I totally threw it out. Too much yakking for too little payoff. It's a short trick - it doesn't need a lot of setup.

Instead, I came up with a much punchier act, with jokes instead of plot. It suits my personality better, it's shorter, and even while they're listening, they can be laughing (or groaning) at my so-called "humor."

///ark
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I wanted to refrain from saying this but for most people it is easier to add some humor than the very serious darker characters. Don't change a recipe that works as Mark said.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Dear abc,

Thank you for your advice. I agree with your advice. Creating a story and a character is very mportant and I'm triying to build it now. Thanks a lot.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
The character/story idea is one way, and a good one, but what you realy need is an education in writing. You form a routinbe the same way your form a story, or a conversation, or a song, or anything else you write, and there is a lot more to that than I feel can be imparted to someone in an online forum. I can't recomend a writing class of one form or another, enough. Also, watch entertainers, who entertain you. Observe their structure, and how it makes you feel. Don't steal material, but study the structure and get a feel for how it's formed.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2007-04-03 09:10, JackScratch wrote:
The character/story idea is one way, and a good one, but what you realy need is an education in writing. You form a routinbe the same way your form a story, or a conversation, or a song, or anything else you write, and there is a lot more to that than I feel can be imparted to someone in an online forum. I can't recomend a writing class of one form or another, enough. Also, watch entertainers, who entertain you. Observe their structure, and how it makes you feel. Don't steal material, but study the structure and get a feel for how it's formed.

I have to agree. When you create the show and the character you have to do it the same way a Braodway producer or the author of a novel does it. It is much easier for me to see the show and say yes I get it or no I don't as opposed to giving online advice.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Dear abc and JackScratch,

First of all thank you for your advices. I know its a hard job to give advices from an online forum for an act. But I don't have enough material. I mean, I'm interested in billard balls, roses and wine glasses, I practice everyday for several hours but when I want to perform problems start with it. Its hard for me to prepare I mean put them together. How can I write a script or a story on these. Can you give me more specific examples?

best regards,

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
First group your effects into a proper order so that you can perform the effects as a show. The ask yourself what you are trying to say by doing these effects and then choose your music and character or patter and character around that. Then make sure that you communicate your intention.
Ask yourself how these effects can be grouped to create something,
Maybe you are setting the table for a romantic dinner with someone. All the effects you perform with the roses and wine glasses etc could be aimed ar getting the table set. If you are short an effect buy or learn it. You may want to add something with a wine bottle or cutlery or plates. Be creative. You can substitute something. I substituted jumbo coins with coasters because it suited my act better. Think of what you want to achieve and how the audience will perceive it. You can substitute billiard balls with anything of roughly the same size. Eggs for example. In this instance maybe you are a magical chef. If you let your imagination go the possibilities are endless.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Dear abc,

I understand what you mean clearly now. Thank you for your advice.

magicially yours,

Nedim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » New act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL