The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
OK I have to make a post both about the scorpion and Rick at Outlaw. The two have to best the best combo in magic today. The scorpion is a work of art and a tool in magic beyond all of the other smash and stab.
Rick doesn't just copy the other 5 same concepts of a spike in various forms. The next thing is that I want to buy an effect that I will use. Too many times as magicians we see effects that are so great but the application or setup or whatever is nothing that I want to do. With this item Rick explains on the page basically the workings and also a place to get a great ring for a significant price cut from other places. He could be greedy and order the ring at that cheap price, mark it up and call it an outlaw ring if he wanted too (Rick if you do do this I want a commision for the idea, imagine that an outlaw ring lol), but he doesn't.

The last bit is that his customer service and generosity is beyond any other shop. This isn't some cheap assembly line product and that you are getting a top quality product at a cheaper rate then most effects that can't do half of what outlaw products can do.

Lets keep this thread about the scorpion and ways that we can help with presentation and stories of using the scorpion.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1493 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
If you are not a fan of a dramatic routine for this great prop then I would suggest going to the private forum at outlaw and read my recent post of a coemdy tongue in cheek routine for this. I wouls also like to mention in a shameless plug that either Child's Play I or II can also be used with this great product. The Outlaw web site also suggests using Child's Play as a replacement for the ring.

Ron
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Please do not post on the mechanics of this effect.

Please do not make posts just talking about me or my customer service record.

Please keep this thread about your reviews or opinions of the scorpion only.

I don't want this thread to get locked.

Thank you.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Here is the basic effect:
You place the scorpion on a table along with 4 little paper cups.

Turn your back and tell the spec. to cover the scorpion with one of the cups and place the other 3 cups in any positions to the left or right of the cup with the Scorpion under it. One by one you crush each cup leaving the Scorpion and it's cup untouched.

What you get:

A very attractive wooden box with a Japanese ideogram painted on the top. Inside the box is a metal spiked ball, about 2 inches around (the center ball is about 1 ˝ inches, and it is surrounded by 50 3/8 inch spikes). This ball (the Scorpion) is a thing of terrifying beauty, and it will fit under cups as small as the bathroom Dixie cups, making this an ideal routine for tableside and parlor entertainment.

You do not get one of the items needed to accomplish the effect. This is pointed out on the website ( http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaw/ ) and in the advertisement, but there are alternate methods to accomplish the effect.

My impressions:

I love it. The props are top notch, and the routine is well thought out. This is one of the two best purchases I made this year. Outlaw has hit another homerun.

Tony Iacoviello
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Besides being able to be used closeup, it is usable in a party situation where you have an audience of 20or so in a room. I will be using this for small sitting audiences of 20-100, towards the end of a presentation demo'ing everyone's abilities for sensing above the physical. I'll also (probably) be using it for walk-around entertainment at fairs.

I've just nailed a small child's padded makeup box at a swap meet for a buck. It holds the scorpion in its box, 30 cups, 5 coasters and has a nice elastic pouch to a hold spare gafficus . Nice to have, talk about, open and bring out the props...

I think one of the strongest advantages of Rick's Scorpion is that is looks REAL. Not like a prop, or a cobbled together something. It looks believable, and once you have that, the thing becomes whatever you declare it to be. The trick AM what you say it AM. The Makibishi and backstory are perfect, and certainly don't need changing, but there are other stories to be thought up...and the Scorpion is real looking enough to play as whatever you say it is.

This is one solid effect that is, without a doubt, worth more than the asking price. There are, occasionally, some tricks that are invented that empower you. This is one.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4198 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Great reviews gents, so true.

I find this effect quite elegant in nature.
Other effects involving potential hand harm leave me cold...but this is different.
Grounded in something more.
The prop seems real ancient Ninja army surplus store material and has real presence. Easy to believe in.
The Makibishi/Scorpion is rare curious item.
LegendaryEgos
View Profile
Elite user
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
471 Posts

Profile of LegendaryEgos
Just wanted to post my original review so here it is:

Well....after a long, long, long, long, long wait...I finally rec'd my Scorpion today! It was sent out on 2-3-97 Priority Mail (2-3 days?!?!) Can't blame Outlaw Effects for that! Jeesh I hate the USPS!

Well anyway, after I stopped crying tears of joy, I opened it up to find a little black box with a Japanese symbol on it. I proceeded to open the box only to see the most menacing piece of magic that I have in my arsenal! This thing looks so realistic like a real ninja just made the thing! And anyone who was wondering if it would hurt to slam your hand down on it, well, lets just hope that you never do that. The spikes are solid and sharp! This thing has some weight to it! I can just imagine how much damage this thing would do if you stepped on it or if it was thrown at you or God forbid you slammed your hand down on it! The attention to detail is awesome as some of the spikes facing up are stained red! It comes with cups to perform with which are kinda funny because they show a nice little under the sea pattern on it, you wouldn't think that underneath this harmless looking cup is a deadly weapon! It also come with a complete patter that is based on actual Japanese history. The routine fits the effect very nicely!

All in all, if you want to shock, scare and amaze people, get this now. I will post another review as soon as I get a chance to perform it!

Marc

PS. Thanks for your help with this Rick!

PSS. We need some more posts on performances!!
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
608 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I have a performance idea that I added in the Outlaw forums.

My original review:
I finally got a chance to experiment with my Scorpion. Wow, this is perfect to use with Child's Play 1 and II. I definitely like the possibilities for routines. The ninja story line is very nice, and it brings credibility to the whole routine and the prop. My scorpion is well built, and I like the special touch of red on the tips of several spikes. It's like it has been pre-used to kill a real ninja's enemy.

How many others use the Scorpion and Child's Play 1 or II together?

I do like how the Scorpion is made. It seems very durable for many years of use, plus it has a cool carrying case.

Tom
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of drjohn
REVIEW OF THE SCORPION

I have been using this for a couple of weeks now to great success and have to say the quality of the build is extremely good. The ball is very solid and the spikes have been stuck on very carefully giving you an extremely scary looking prop. The modus operandi for this allows you a variety of choices to know where the prop is, and depending on which methods you use (they are mentioned on Outlaw effects Website) you should be 100% safe as long as you are carefull.

IMPORTANT. You do need to buy additional props to work with this but the options range from cheap to expensive depending on your budget.

Without exposing I personally use the Cobra Sharpie and wizard ring and both methods work very well with the Scorpion.

The ball looks genuine and this helps build tension in the routine, although I am sure if you made a mistake and slammed your hand onto it the damage would be far less than other alternatives to this effect that use a spike!

The box is very nice and adds a touch of class to the effect and I think the box also sells the idea that the Makabishi is real as well.

My overall opinion is that as long as you are carefull with it and treat this as an adult effect you will have a showstopper in your act that will draw gasps from you audience

Overall Review? 9 out of 10
May your darkness come quickly
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I was wondering why this thread got locked.....let's keep it up with the reviews gang!
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2821 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
What follows are my first comments after recieving The Scorpion from Rick Roth of Outlaw-effects:

I was trying to figure out why I like this so much considering I don't like the premise or subtext of smash and stabs. It finally dawned on me that the quality of The Scorpion and the story behind the makibishi transcends my usual qualms about such routines. You are demonstrating how the Ninja evaded the weapon when turned against them. There is a presumption of success rather than a fear of failure.

As I believe I mentioned, the makibishi is inherently interesting. Like a good meal, presentation plays a role. The container that holds the Makibishi is simple yet appealing. When opened to display the makibishi inside the weapon looks all the more menacing.

Then there is the fact that you do need to be careful handling it. Yet handling it safely is quite simple.

I took it to show a freind who owns a magic store and performs The Spike. He wasn't there but the counterman and a magician customer were very impressed by the whole concept of The Scorpion. The magician offered me 120 dollars cash on the spot for it. He and the man behind the counter were shocked when I told them the price.

As usual, Rick's love for what he does shines through on these hand made, vicious little works of art. Lets just be glad he uses his powers for good.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
My original post:

This product, like all things from OUTLAW - is excellent!

Plus you get a really cool box to hold the evil spiked evil device. I love that box... add some scents and other things and it will get spec's hooked before you even open it...

The ball itself looks very very dangerous... nice bits od dried poison on the tips....

Perfect fit for Dixie cups....

Great backstory - of course, I will make it much more dark... (but of course!)...

I find using a weaker gimmick better for the effect as you have to be careful not to have the thing move a bit.... although it did get me thinking of demoing a ghostly PK effect after the roulette... still thinking about that as I don't want specs to get wise - but as most OUTLAW items do - they spark the imagination....

Yeah Tony, I said I wasn't gonna get it because of my little daughter - BUT I HAD TO GET IT - it looked wayyy to good - and it is again!

Arigato, Rick!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&269

And now my current comments:

This effect is really excellent. One of the safest roulettes you can do unless you are an utter moron.

I have also developed it into a sea mine prop for a ghostly tale of WWI spectral ships.

The craftsmanship of the scorpion is great in that it looks handmade and evil...with little bits of poison/blood/rust whatever on it... so nice!

Plus the box is excellent as well - and you mentalists out there realize you can do a dummy billet effect with it? Why not! Put a prediction in the box that states which cup the scorpion will be under...

Like always - this is an item that cuts through the artificial barriers of self-limiting declarations of "is it magic, mentalism, mental magic, or bizarre magick etc ad nauseum!"

Y'know Rick, you ought to be careful - the products like SCORPION are so great (as has been all the items from Outlaw) with many of the effects connecting to each other- you'll be seen as an innovator and producer of some of the coolest items for we dabblers in the art.... the reason you have to be careful is it will raise the ire and jealousy of those who can only criticize, pick at straws, tear down work they know they can never equal, or try to shut down ways the word can get out.

Luckily, the word is already out and we who have been lucky enough to get items like the Scorpion know we should support a company that produces such amazing items.

Like Doug Higley's DARK MUSEUM.... with the Scorpion and soon the Relic.... and what other goodies come... there will be enough of an ensemble to do a NIGHT EXHIBIT of occult objects that a performer can lead an audience through...

The Scorpion is something that anyone serious about doing a unique presentation should consider buying.

Exelsior!

Bruce
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I just got mine in the mail, but it's a birthday present so I have to wait until this weekend to start using it! I checked it out, of course, and it looks awesome. I've been thinking of presentation ideas, and one of the potential problems for me has been coming up with a believable motivation to run my hand over top of the cups. What I've come up with is to wear a blindfold. That adds to the presentational possibilities, and gives me a reason to have to reach out and 'feel' for the cups, since I can't see them. Anyone else try this approach?
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Scorpion is awesome. Buy it.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1423 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You need to be careful with the whole blindfold approach. If you get to close to the cups, you will have a whole different effect on your hands, the ghostly moving Makabishi...

Quote:
On 2007-04-03 13:51, jkvand wrote:
I just got mine in the mail, but it's a birthday present so I have to wait until this weekend to start using it! I checked it out, of course, and it looks awesome. I've been thinking of presentation ideas, and one of the potential problems for me has been coming up with a believable motivation to run my hand over top of the cups. What I've come up with is to wear a blindfold. That adds to the presentational possibilities, and gives me a reason to have to reach out and 'feel' for the cups, since I can't see them. Anyone else try this approach?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1493 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
JKVand:

I PM'd you an idea on this rather thn post it here. The scorpion is probably the best idea to come along since well, I could give a shameless plug here but I won't. Trust me if you are on the fence about this product JUMP!!

Ron
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
454 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Quote:

If your touching the cups then people will just think you can feel the device against the side of the cup as you touch it, move it, this would be detrimental to the effect.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:

The presentation details that the cups representate "the path" that the Ninja takes while avoiding the Makibishi.

As I say this line I'm moving my hand over the row of cups explaing that this representates the path of the Ninja.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Well, Unfortunately I didn't get the video I promised..
however, it went down very well.
I used 5 cups...just to be different you know. Smile Smile

I found these cups;

http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/DXE45SAGE06.html
They're a bit nicer and..traditional like. Although I plan on spray painting all of mine dull black and individually writing the same sign that is on the box onto each one I plan a performance with.

Will post pictures when I receive them and have done it all. Smile
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL