The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
No problem Joan!

I just splurged on Childs Play. I got a great deal from a member. I'm so happy I bought this. I was on the fence for a long time. What a difference it makes when using the scorpion!!! Bring on the bigger cups and hello big newspaper balls!!!! (does that sound weird??? LOL)

Mike Smile
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
I tried several times, but the video doesn't seem to work... Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Oh, by the way, had I known how great childs play was I would have saved the cash and bought this new from Ron. What a good guy he is. Also, mine is the original so I can only imagine how great the new one is. The scorpion rocks too!
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1481 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
Thanks Mike for the compliment. We (Tom and I) strive to sell the very best products and give good service. Sadly that is not always the case these days with many businesses. Keep watching my web site for future items from Kracker & Frank.

Ron
Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Moonlightshadow
Just wondering, since I really, really like the story behind this prop :

Isn't there anyone who encountered a spectator who - after seeing the object and realising that it IS made of metal - suspected the method ?

I would really like to be "set at ease" on this one, because it's the only drawback I can imagine.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 14:17, Moonlightshadow wrote:
Just wondering, since I really, really like the story behind this prop :

Isn't there anyone who encountered a spectator who - after seeing the object and realising that it IS made of metal - suspected the method ?

I would really like to be "set at ease" on this one, because it's the only drawback I can imagine.

If you saw it in person you would see that it does have metal spikes but the actual ball of the weapon is not a smooth metal look.

It looks exactly like what the Makibishi weapon looked like.

Of course using the various methods to detect it completely cloaks the method anyway.

CP1 CP2 Cobra etc
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3590 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have never had anyone suspect the method.

Jim
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I also have never had anyone suspect the method - and I have used the pk ring and child's play.
Try not to think like a magician!
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I've never had anyone suspect the method either. I no longer use a PK ring for the effect, but a 'special' Sharpie which the spec handles as they number the cups for me. It's only in play for a short while so when the actual performance of the effect takes places my hands are completely empty.

As has been said before, the Scorpion is excellent value and a wonderful looking prop.
Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

I see.
Chad, I wasn't thinking like a magician per se. I try to think like a clever layman Smile
But the premise of this effect is so cool that I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for your opinions, fellows !
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1128 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Contrary to popular belief, laymen are very difficult to fool, so your question was a good one. I've yet to have anyone suspect anything about the scorpion. If fact, they think it's all for real, even though I'm asking completely ridiculous and unrelated questions to "deduce" under which cup they put it (what's your favorite color? regular or peanut m&ms?, etc).
Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Indeed, Doug. I think that many of us fool ourselves by underestimating the "muggles". I try to think of my lovely audiences as friendly, but intelligent and critical creatures...
It makes the game more fun for both parties.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I to use my special Sharpie and NEVER had any questions. Presentation with the Scorpion is critical and the story behind it gives you lots to talk about as well as distract.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Moonlightshadow
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

I just saw Joan's presentation. Lovely stuff. A bit long, but convincing.
I'd love to see more of you, mr. Monse.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1515 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Did you ever get this Moonlightshadow? If not, here is a "review" of my most recent use of it a few days ago. This was in a thread in inner thoughts but it is also relevant here as well!

I had a teen program in a library yesterday and performed with my Outlaw Scorpion. Not only did it get a great reaction from the teens and the adults in the audience - the story of this ancient ninja weapon had their attention before I ever actually got to the effect and told them what I would be doing. Actually, I never tell them exactly what is going to happen until I slam down on the first cup - then the whole mood changes and the tension rises - and then at the end a very, very strong round of applause.

The Scorpion's storyline gives you a reason to do what you do, and, it is able to be passed out to folks in the audience prior to doing the effect and while you are setting up the background story.

By the way, I also performed sponge balls during the show...to a great reaction as well... Smile

Nobody in the audience had ever seen anything like it that I am aware of.

Chad

PS. My cousin who helps me during the summers as my assistant, still thinks that I am actually reading the volunteer to see if they are lying/giving away where its at. She has no clue as to the actual method even though she is starting to think like a magician from having seen me do so many things and due to setting up much of my stuff prior to my shows.

By the way, I was using my child's play II regular version for this program - I wear that watch at all times anyway unless I'm at my "fancy" shows where I wear my fancy version. It worked great!
joanmonse
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of joanmonse
Moonlightshadow, PLEASE!
Sorry my super delayed response!!
Thank you VERY much for your kind words.

Like I said before, I'm absolutely agree that the video routine is a bit long.
In fact, new version it's shorter and I added more "action" in the beginning.

Sorry again and best regards!
Joan
teoswand
View Profile
Regular user
usa
107 Posts

Profile of teoswand
Question, what about spectator inspection, can I give scorpion to audience for inspection and can they somehow suspect the secret or even scorpion could reveal somehow by itself..I hope you understand question..
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I inflate a balloon & ask someone to hold it,then I bring out the Scorpion & I let a spectator touch it(very carefully), then I take the balloon & slam it down on it.

It definitely sets the mood.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL