The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2668 Posts

Profile of lunatik
How do you like the price this guy is trying to sell his Scorpion for? LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magicians-Magic-Illu......1.c0.m14
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2008-10-19 00:52, lunatik wrote:
How do you like the price this guy is trying to sell his Scorpion for? LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magicians-Magic-Illu......1.c0.m14

I believe that is a fair price, it's only 2 1/2 time the cost of a new one Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
I believe Mr. Bill Palmer mentioned in a thread that he had trouble with airlines with the scorpion both as check in and of course carryon. If this is true, why couldn't this be checked in?
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2338 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Have you seen what it looks like?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1505 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
I am just curious how you guys present this. If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup. It would be better if they did not know where the scorpion is after the cups were mixed also. That would present more anxiety for everyone. Do you have the person mixing the cups to hide how they are mixing them so they are the only one that knows where the scorpion is.
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2338 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-11-20 07:47, magicbyswh wrote:
I am just curious how you guys present this. If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup. It would be better if they did not know where the scorpion is after the cups were mixed also. That would present more anxiety for everyone. Do you have the person mixing the cups to hide how they are mixing them so they are the only one that knows where the scorpion is.

I would put a "lid" under each cup so the Scorpion does not roll around. I would have one person mix the cups while everyone is looking and I look away. The next round I have everyone look away while one person mixes the cups. Etc...
Douglas Lippert
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Quote:
On 2008-11-20 00:19, DVLKCC wrote:
Have you seen what it looks like?

*haha* I'm sure he hasn't, or else he wouldn't have asked! Smile
It's a FREAKY Looking thing, isn't it!
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
Yeah, I've seen what it looks like.
Checked in baggage containing weapons type stuff hasn't been a problem for me. I've checked martial arts stuff more blatant than the scorpion.
The reason for checkin problems is not the look but the gaff and it's strength. This info was passed my way from someone who's traveled with this prop and suggests mailing it when you must fly.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Wow...so I can't even fly with this thing? I just bought this off someone here on the Café but I had it sent to my parents' house since I'm visiting them for the holidays. I guess I'm gonna have to ship it...oh well.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
If the spectator moves the cups around how are you keeping the scorpion from rolling around and sticking to the inside of the cup.

A lot of guys buy those cheap Chinese bamboo coasters for coffee cups, set three of them down on the table, and then invite the spec to place the Scorp on any of the coasters, cover all three of them with dixie cups, and then move the coasters around to their hearts content.

The bamboo coffee cup coasters can be found with Chinese symbols and designs on them, and quite look the part if you kick them around in your garden and driveway for a bit before you present them.

BTW, I took Dixie cups and spray painted them gloss red. I cut a Chinese letter stencil (I've no idea what it was, it came from the internet) and spray painted through that stencil onto the red cup in a contrasting gloss gold color.
I always felt the normal Dixie cups looked out of place, but these "red with gold lettering" cups looked excellent and of the period.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3593 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I'll give the bamboo coasters a try. This is a fantastic effect. I was concerned about the possiblity of not locating the scorpion, but it never fails! It's so simple and effective I have to remind myself how strong an effect it is.

Jim
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
It certainly is a great effect and such a nice looking prop. As I have said previously, this is something that I have used many times both in close-up and stage situations and it never fails to get a good response.
Well worth the money...
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
The Scorpion is great and when performed with the Cobra Sharpie 2.0 pen (so they can mark the cups of course!) it really rocks.

Good magic to all

Eric
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2338 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-02-27 22:48, gumbystock wrote:
(so they can mark the cups of course!)

I also had the idea of combining Cobra Sharpie with the Scorpion. To use the Cobra to mark the cups, and to give me the secret information. But, I did not like this method because waving the Sharpie over the cups may seem fishy to a smart spectator and it slows down the action.

I recommend Child's Play I,II or III for this type of effect because they are very reliable and the audience is unaware of what is going on behind the scenes.

Best of luck,

Doug L.
Douglas Lippert
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 22:56, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 22:48, gumbystock wrote:
(so they can mark the cups of course!)

I also had the idea of combining Cobra Sharpie with the Scorpion. To use the Cobra to mark the cups, and to give me the secret information. But, I did not like this method because waving the Sharpie over the cups may seem fishy to a smart spectator and it slows down the action.

I recommend Child's Play I,II or III for this type of effect because they are very reliable and the audience is unaware of what is going on behind the scenes.

Best of luck,

Doug L.

In the context of the "story" it's not fishy at all to use the pen. At some point you show that the cups represent "the pathway" the ninja traveled down.

As you say that you casually run the pen across the the length of the cups saying "this represents the path etc etc"

Now, one more time Doug, my friend and loyal Outlaw posse member, NO ONE is going to think that sharpie has electronics in it Smile

They are thinking about the menacing looking weapon under the cups and they are enthralled with your story.

The Cobra is a great stealth accessory for the Scorpion presentation, so is Childs Play 2 and just a simple ring will work.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3593 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use a ring and have had very good luck with the Scorpion. However, I did drop the ring during one performance (it's very loose so it will wiggle). Would it behoove me to look at performing with a Sharpie, or one of the Childsplay devices? Is there really a preferred method, or is just up to the performer?

Thanks, Jim
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 23:58, jimhlou wrote:
I use a ring and have had very good luck with the Scorpion. However, I did drop the ring during one performance (it's very loose so it will wiggle). Would it behoove me to look at performing with a Sharpie, or one of the Childsplay devices? Is there really a preferred method, or is just up to the performer?

Thanks, Jim

I've used the ring hundreds of times, and I've used Childs Play 2 and the Cobra.

They all work great.

Jim, get a sleightly smaller ring size dude Smile

RR
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
946 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Cobra sharpie is great I love this thing!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3593 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have smaller rings - I'll give one a try.

Thanks,

Jim
Joemv
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Joemv
I use the Cobra Sharpie................works fantastic with Scorpion...

Joe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Scorpion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL