The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magic Vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClodAppleleft
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester, NH
195 Posts

Profile of ClodAppleleft
Hey guys,

My wife is a seamstress and I want her to make me a vest that I can use at the Ren-Faires for magic. The thing is, I've never seen a pattern for the type of vest I'm looking for with lots of pockets and ways to make hidden pockets and such. Anyone have any idea where I can either get a pattern, or suggestions on what to make?
There are many different ways to cut an apple.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I made my own Renn Fair costume last year. I was not concerned about pockets as I was trying to keep the costume in period (No pockets back then you know)

I used the jerkin pattern at Garbmonger, which modifies a standard vest pattern. You can add pockets wherever you want.

http://www.garbmonger.com/

Dawn's Costume pages were most helpful in other aspects of costume making.

http://www.reddawn.net/costume/index.html

Between these two, and others you can search for on the web, you should be able to come up with a pretty decent vest/jerkin.

You may want to move this post to the Sidewalk Shuffle section, as there are lots of Renn Fair types there.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Greetings, Clod!
Check out either Modern Magic, Later MAgic, and More Magic, all by Prof. Hoffmann. 1 or 2 of the books have instructions on how to gimmick evening dress for amgicians. They could be adapted for doublets.

I prefer using a puch like the old (and current) street preformers. My pouch came from a design by Jim Cellini, the King of the Street Magicians. You can find the pattern in his lecture notes.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
I'd go with the Scot on this one - although with a minor caveat.

Because I am a cheap-jack magician, I have found the perfect sort of pouch for someone who needs a big, wide open, somewhat rough-looking pouch that hangs easily on a wide belt.

At the hardware store.

A roofer's nail pouch, to be specific. You can easily put a patch or paint over the log, if necessary, and can stash everything from silks to ropes to an entire tankard there if need be.

Tobias the Adequate
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Greetings Clod! Good to see you again,

You would be amazed at the number of things a pennyless magician can make, especially for the renaissance. Just the other day, I made a bag with 3 separate compartments in 10 minutes with cloth I had lying about (and I scolded them for fibbing like that, too). Attatchments to the inside of a vest can be made very simply if you just follow the seam lines of your standard jerkin and you can add many inner pocket with ease. I have several secret pockets on my leather vest, just so I can hold items, not necessarily conceal them. Smile

Pleasures to you all,
Malak
(Currently Daniel GreenWolf, formerly Malak GreenWolf, the red-haired mage of Renaissance Faires)
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Tobias,
The pouch I made was from scrap leather someone had given me. Cellini used to make pouches from old handbags and leather coats he got at thrift stores. The pouches can also be made from cloth.

The nail pouch sounds like a great idea as well, but the ones I have seen have had plastic liners and they really don't look period.

One can also use a cloth carpenters apron, especially if you can find a plain one, or cover any printing with cloth or painti, as you suggested.

There is a Scottish Magician who uses his sporran, which is something I also do, but there are soem problems.
I ahve a period sporran and it hangs low so it is a bit awkward to keep reaching into it all the time, which is OK if you are jsut pulling out a trick or cards, but not if you want to steal a load.

I also carry my wallet and other stuff in it, so it doesn't leave much room for much else.

Quote:
On 2003-07-28 02:23, Malak wrote:

You would be amazed at the number of things a pennyless magician can make, especially for the renaissance.

Or a thrifty Scottish Magician!
Creativity is the thing here, it will help you save money and can help you have period props.
It's good to see you, Malak!
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Magic Vest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL