The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Wacky Wolf Funhouse - a detailed review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
It's tempting to give this product 10/10 as soon as it comes out of the box. Several people here on the Café have posted remarks like "I've never used it but I love it" which, to me, is pointless and a bit silly. So I've resisted the urge and given it a full test drive at ten professional gigs.

THE LOOK: - 10/10: There is no need to tell you that this is a fine looking product. The pictures on the Wolf website don't do it justice. It looks great close up and from far away! 'nuff sad!

THE WORKMANSHIP - 10/10: The props is very well made. I am no craftsman but even I can see how sturdy each joint, hinge and screw is. The only potential weak spot is in the stars which stick out from the front of the box. These could easily catch on a table edge and snap! I guess I'll just be careful with it!

PRACTICALITY 7/10: Unfortunately, this is the only major flaw. The odd size and shape of the gimmick means that it takes up more space then the prop's actual volume. For example, the party popper holder at the back is only the size of a matchbox but it sticks out adding an extra inch to its width. The road case, which I chose not to buy, would be great for carrying except that a) it would take up a HUGE amount of space and b) a road case is no place for a bunny!

THE MAGIC: 10/10 This is the best BA I have ever seen. The darkness, rather then being just BLACK seems to transisition from light to dark. Even inches away, I could not see the gimmick. This a big plus for working pros who can not guarentee their lighting or whether a kid will jump up close at some point in the show. The balloon popping gimmick is visible if you look for it...but who would!

The gimmick is metal and flops down very quickly. The bunny really just appears from nowhere! Chance really should post a video of the trick in action to show how good it looks.

The legs on the box also allows it to be used on a rolon table without people suspecting a secret door in the table.

PRESENTATION POTENTIAL: 9/10 The use of the big, funny 360Q, the load options and the fun but no specific style of the prop allows for a huge number of presentations. Pretty much anything that fits in the load will look good appearing!

COST: 5-10/10 This prop is expensive and therefore not for everyone. I would only really recommend it for working pros (part and full time) or collectors who want something beautiful for their display shelf. This product is too bulky, too expensive and too nice looking to end up in someone's attic! But it's totally worth the price if you intend to USE it!

OVERALL SCORE: 9/10
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Great review Nick - I own this prop and would agree with that 100%
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Great review!
I have no problem with anything you stated but felt I should chime in on a few points.
Unfortunately I could not get a perfect score but you must realize that the size is relevant to it's "viewability" for a lack of a better term, as well as it's load size. I could make it smaller, but then it would be a smaller bunny and a smaller audience to view.
As with most of our props, they are sized to actually be seen from a reasonable distance.
Regarding your quote:
"The only potential weak spot is in the stars which stick out from the front of the box."
The only solution would to make it a Square Box, like our competition, and hey...that is just not WACKY!!!

Thanks for the great review Nicholas and we appreciate the support! Now go have some fun with that BEAST Smile

Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic

PS: I LOVE the Black Art as well!
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Chance - It is a case of checks and balances isn't it? If you make it squarer (like the volvo of production boxes) then you lose it's impact.

I'm happy to have the inconvience of bulkiness for the over all impact of the effect.

But it's certainly not a packs flat - plays big kind of prop!

Here it is amongst my kit at it's first appearance...

http://www.funnybones.com.au/IMG_8218.jpg
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Hey Nicholas,

Great Job on the review! I must say that if I had to get rid of all my Magic that the Wacky Table and the Fun House would be the last to go. I would clutch both tightly in each arm. Defending myself with only my feet ~ Lord Help the person who tries to take them away! hehe

I did notice something different about yours.... You have chrome bars! How do you rate to get chrome? VERY NICE TOUCH! Mine are painted but still wouldn't change anything about it.

HAPPY EASTER ALL!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Mine has unpainted bars too. Must be from the same batch.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
After using this all year, and voting it the best new routine in my show for 2007, here are some follow up bits of advice, questions and thoughts.

1) The powder in the balloons sticks to the gaff so pack a set of moist towelettes to give the BA a quick wipe down between shows.

2) Stupid point BUT always make sure the handle is in the correct position when resetting. Twice this year I set the handle in the wrong position and had to reset midshow. Very unprofessional!

3) If you use a live bunny, make sure you use the dove stand. I thought I could do without and my bunny's claw got caught. He was fine but I am not willing to take any chances with his safety.

4) That thing is STURDY. Not one scratch dent or damage. It is AS NEW!

5) I hang a silk off the front of the cage which I use through out the show. I throw it in the cage WITH the balloon and, when it pops and the bunny appears, a dupe silk comes into view. This really strengthens the magic.

6) I wish I did buy the road case. The padded bag I use is fine for touring in town but when I fly, I have to rebox the *** thing!
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
One of the stars broke off mine. But it was SO EASY to glue it back, and it's been perfect ever since. This is the one trick I'll repeat for almost every show I do, and as soon as I uncover the prop, one or more kids will say "oh, yeah, I LOVE this trick!" if they've seen it before.
One small point, which has been mentioned before, it's important to ensure the balloon is curved upwards in the centre, or the bursting gimmick may not contact the balloon, resulting in the load chamber sitting atop the balloon in half-openend state. Also, I've put a bolt and thread sheath (don't know what it's actual name is) on the handle, which I now tighten between every show. (The sheath goes into the ball at the bottom of the handle). I found the original handle quickly became loose, and was unreliable. Now it works perfectly.
Brilliant piece of kit!
Michael238
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Michael238
I use this in every show, great prop!
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
For those of you who have this, or any Balloon to Animal. What kind of story, routine, or patter are you using to introduce the prop, and then the final production.

I am looking for some ideas to spice up the original concept that comes with the Funhouse.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I try to make a balloon dog, fail miserably, then get out a BIGGER BALLOON and put it into the "NEW, EASY OPERATING BALLOON ANIMAL-MAKING MACHINE!". POW...there are about 10 tiny balloon doggies in there...of course, they all match the color of the original balloon. I also found (at WalMart) some "balloon animal" stuffed animals, and I can use those. When they were still available, I could give the stuffed balloon animal away to the birthday child.

Steve
yfoog
View Profile
New user
Springfield, Il
61 Posts

Profile of yfoog
Steve, I like that idea, you could actually start with a 160, then a 260, and then a 350 balloon, that you load. With appropriate failures in creating said animal.

I was also thinking of using a story line that introduces the funhouse with the rabbit (of course you realize there is no rabbit as you must have forgot him) and then use the balloon as a magic wand that the child waves over the box to make the rabbit appear, then you go into some shtick that you notice the handle and ports to put the balloon (wand) into. Have the child pull the lever, and walla.
The Magic of Jim Percy
President Central Illinois Magicians Association
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Then I leave the Funhouse out and give a balloon dog to each of my assistants during the performance...gives me a reason for having it out there.

Steve
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
Got my funhouse 2 weeks ago. . and put it into the show. . I gotta say, Just having the prop out gets gasps from the audience. . even the adults. It really raises the perceived value of my show!! and it works like a dream

Thanks chance!!

ps. . looks like I got one of the last. .as they are out of stock at the moment. .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Wacky Wolf Funhouse - a detailed review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL