The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » wendigo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
I just rented the movie wendigo and would like to recomend to everyone else in this forum. The reason why it was so special to me is because of the incredibly low cost and effective camera tricks. This movie is filled with amazingly eerie shots and had me thinking about composition for my magic show. Did anybody else see this movie? If so PM me. I'd like to talk about it.

Regards

Jonathan
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I saw the previews, and ever since I was wondering what a wendigo was. Wasn't it the monster in alice in wonderland?

P.S. Nice avatar... hehehe
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Yeah isn't it neat?

A windigo is, I believe, half spirit and half beast. the movie however isn't realy a monster movie but its difficult to talk about without giving anything away. If anybody wants to read the arrows review of windigo then pm me. I don't want to post the link here as most of his revies contain vulgarity and I realy don't want to get in trouble.

Jonathan

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Similar to some of the information in Philemon's link, I have always heard of the Wendigo as a sort of native american werewolf (werewolf / lycanthropy lore is a bit of a hobbie for me). Some variations in the legend say that the creature had a heart of ice or suet. I think there are some strong bizarre effect possibilities with a wendigo story and a heart of ice, possibly a sort of "psychic surgery" where you extract the ice heart to prevent someone from going on a murderous rampage?

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Bigwolf, love that psychic surgery idea! If the heart is suet, of course, everyone can be wolfing (he he) down the small cakes you've graciously laid on for the evening's entertainment. When the plate is bare, you can tell them what exactly it is that they've eaten!

Less mischievous, the heart of ice would make a wonderful bizarre artefact. It never melts, and is blisteringly cold to touch. And, of course, it would look beautiful. Great idea bigwolf!

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Not seen it yet but keep picking it up every time I am in blockbusters.
Thank you, I'll rent it now. Know anyone who has seen session 9? Smile
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

I want to see sassion 9. unfortionately the video store didn't have the dvd of wendigo but i believe that the dvd has a 30 minute documentary about the wendigo and the audio commentary is saposed to be usefull as well. what about a girl to gorila illusion where a girl turn into a wendigo? Im not going to give away wendigo but the event that starts all the weirdness is when the family hits and kills a deer. There are some amazing shots where you see other deer looking at each other as if communicating. it is little shots like this that make the movie so creepy. there is also an amazing amount of stop motion animation. like stop motion zoom ins etc. My favorite camera trick which i couldn't figure out was a matrix style shot where the camera pans around a boy. its amazing what can be done un such a low budget.

Jonathan

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

FrankStone
View Profile
New user
South Africa/Taiwan
74 Posts

Profile of FrankStone
The TV series Charmed (Season 1 Ep. 12) also featured a Wendigo. You will be able to download the episode from the net via a P2P software like Kazaa.
Graham_Salisbury
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Graham_Salisbury
Quote:
The reason why it was so special to me is because of the incredibly low cost and effective camera tricks. This movie is filled with amazingly eerie shots and had me thinking about composition for my magic show.

If you like your films beautifully filmed and genuinely haunting then can I recommend that you take a look at the classic series of M.R. James adaptations that are currently being released on video/DVD by the British Film Institute.

"Whistle and I'll come to you" is one of the most chilling short films I've ever seen.

Very simple, very effective. Film making at its best.

Incidently M.R. James' short stories and the films based on them are full of wonderful themes that are well worth exploring.
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
I second that M.R. James recommendation. His ghost stories collection is still only a quid here in the UK. Ensure you pocket the trolley money after the family shop, and the book's yours!

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » wendigo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL