We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Steel and Silver book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew Wong
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of Andrew Wong
Hi,
Can anyone provide a review for this book??
Thanks!!
Adam V
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Adam V
Excellent book. Worth it for 'Unshuffled' and 'Photocopy'
Adam V - 9 out of 10 dentists recommend him.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I like this book. It teaches "The Flick" which is a cool move.
Bernard Sim
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
A definite have for any magic library.

Most people originally went for this book to learn the routine behind the ring on hourglass which Paul allowed David Copperfield to use. (I actually wanted to get it for the Steel Cups and Balls).

Once I got the book, I was actually impressed with the whole award winning act (Matrix, Cups and Balls, Ring on Hourglass) not from the method standpoint, but from the actual routining and segue from one trick to another. There is a definite lesson there on how to structure a close-up show.

Many good card effects as well.
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
Actually, I was thinking about this book too. Quite a good feedback. Can someone elaborate on the card effects from this book please? Thanks.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1172 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
There is an entertaining effect called 4 Card Monte, done with regular cards. A nice little card to aspirin tin, and then two great tricks called Photcopy and Unshuffled. Photocopy is performed by referring to how magicians palm cards, and then after having a card selected and returned to the deck, the card is supposed to be found in a wallet. When you open the wallet, there is a picture of hand, but once unfolded, it is a picture of the palm of your hand with their selected card in the picture.

He also has a nice Card to Wallet routine combining a borrowed bill and signed card to the wallet.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Worth it for 'Unshuffled' and a few other nice things. The ring on hour glass stuff is interesting reading althought you are unlikely to do it yourself. One of those books you should have in your collection.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
This is exactly why books are better than videos, in some instances, I bought the video after having the book for a year or so.
The only thing I can figure out is - Mr. Gertner (one of the premier magicians of the day) must have had an "off" day.
If I saw the video first, I wouldn't have bought the wonderful book.

Dave
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2979 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I'm very fortunate to live only a few miles away from Paul Gertner. Very nice guy. I just picked up his book and I whole heartily
agree with the above posts. Some great card effects that are EXCELLENT are 4 King Surprise, and These Are the Aces Those Are Not in addition to the others mentioned.
The videos are a great addition to the book.
Get the book.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Paul Gertner's Material is absolutely brilliant.
Most of the routines are really worth the practice that they take to master.
As well as the obvious routines, which have already been mentioned, there are loads of less assuming tricks which have been very well routined etc.
Personal favourites include:

Those Are the Aces...Those Are Not.
Snapping the Halves
Copper Silver Variations

All three routines are worth the practice to learn. There are of course some things which you are less likely to perform, for instance the description of his FISM act...However there are important details given here which are worth taking note of.
I also suggest that you take a look at buying his DVDs set which covers most of the good routines from the book. Although I would not ay that the last DVD "Steel and Silver LIVE" is worth the price unless you are a pro.

Gertner's material is great. I advise this book for any one who has an average knowledge of sleight of hand with cards and coins.
owen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Steel and Silver book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL