We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner in cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rafiki121
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of rafiki121
Hi Im a beginner in magic tricks and I like to learn how to do card tricks. Ive seen many of them and I know how some of them are done, just that I cant perform them. Like in the other post "card magic skills: learning by order of impotence" Can anyone recommend me a beginners book to learning how to do these skills. My main focus is cards.
DanielSkahen
View Profile
New user
NY
63 Posts

Profile of DanielSkahen
I'll be the first out of a dozen to recommend Royal Road to Card Magic. I truly can't think of any better introduction.

Other goodies after that: Scarne on Card Tricks; Now You See It, Now You Don't; Expert Card Technique (relatively in that order)

Remember, focus on the foundations. Don't be lured into learning quick tricks at the expense of more in depth knowledge. Take the time necessary to master the basics, and you'll be rewarded long-term. Have fun with it!
- Dan Skahen
rafiki121
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of rafiki121
Ive searched for the book and I get like three books with the same name. Can you please post a link for the correct one!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There are many posts on this issue - please use the search engine.

Also have a look at this

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

Andy
Cards never lie
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Here is a good legitimate company that should have this book in stock...
http://themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/fin......m=BK8077
If you are a complete beginner in cards this is a good start and it's not expensive. If you have a Barnes & Nobles in your home town, chances are they may have this book on the shelves. Also keep an eye out for Mark Wilson's book "The Complete Course in Magic" which has a large chapter on basic card skills and tricks associated with them. The cost is around $20 and change. As you progress deeper in card magic you will be advised by many veteran cardicians to invest in the "Card College" (by Roberto Giobbi series Vol.I - IV). This is by far the most complete course in card sleight of hand up to this date, and a wise investment. This series will set you back $150 or more (for the whole set) depending where you purchase it. Welcome to the Café and Andy has given you an excellent link to deciding what is best for you. Good luck and always have fun!
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Rafiki - some wise words from Andy and KRZ4kardz. As written earlier I'm just getting back into magic with a focus on close-up / cards and have asked many ofthe same questions you are asking or will be asking.

Fortunately you have the resources of the Café which can be invaluable. I invite you to visit my blog, http://www.poolside-reflections.blogspot.com as I keep a running diary on my studies and the challenges and successes I'm experiencing.

Good luck!
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I hate to sound like a broken record, but beginners should at least consider starting with "easy" self-working tricks. That way, they (or, rather, we) can start learning how to perform quickly.

///ark
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
When I started all I wanted to learn was cool moves and sleights. The amount of self working effects I do now is actually scary. Maybe I got lazy. Good advice though. Try some self working effects and get them looking good.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
Remember, focus on the foundations. Don't be lured into learning quick tricks at the expense of more in depth knowledge. Take the time necessary to master the basics, and you'll be rewarded long-term. Have fun with it!

Personally, I would start with some self-working or easy sleight card tricks to at least accomplish two goals. The first is to get over the nerves of performing in front of an audience. The second is to be able to work on presentation. But just like their sleight driven cousins, don't forget to practice them before performing in front of anyone. Even the easy stuff can go wrong without at least a little personal prep.

As for Giobbi's Card College, it is now up to 5 volumes and I do believe there may be a sixth now in publication. Personally, I would start with just the first one to the hang of doing some of the basic sleight work.

As for royal road, one source publisher is Dover press at http://www.doverpublishing.com . They have quite a few magic books. Not only Royal Road to Card Magic, but all of Karl Fulves' books. Look on their website and you'll be amazed at how many they have.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
The sixth volume of Card College is called Card College Light and was actually written before Card College. The choice of the new title is essentially a marketing move. It's a book of tricks and doesn't specifically teach magic.

I think it's an excellent choice for a new card magician:

• The tricks are strong.
  • They're arranged into routines, where one trick can set up the next trick.
  • They're accompanied by notes explaining how to incorporate sleights (when you're ready). In this way, you can learn sleights to improve specific tricks, instead of for their own sake.
///ark
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Go for Card College Light by Roberto Giobbi. If you're REALLY new you may also want to simply get an general book like Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It's got some of everything but gives a good base and understanding of card magic. You can't fail with either of these.
mikaelmrotek
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mikaelmrotek
Mainly just take a deck with you everywhere and get used to the feel while practicing
D lifts/shuffling and get card college aka listen to magianada
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Hi there
I have recently been bitten by the Magic bug and am excitedly buying all sorts of tricks online with various magic shops. I have worked out though that what I need to do, for now anyway is stop buying gimmick style tricks and instead learn from dvd's or books and as I learn best visually I think dvd's are probably best.
I have at the moment started with Michael Maxwells self working card trick dvd's and have also got Michael Ammar's complete introduction to coins dvd. Is this a good start and can anyone reccomend other dvd's that cover self working type card tricks or does this series sum up all the best, also does the book Card College Light offer different tricks.
I would also like reccomendations on any dvd's that cover the basics of starting out in Magic or would a book be better, many people on this forum seem to reccomend Mark Wilson or Tarbell but have also heard good things about Michael Ammar Amazing Magic dvd.
I have been put off for the moment buying the Royal Road dvd's mainly because I am having fun with the self working tricks and possibly a bit worried about compex card sleights as even my rifle shuffle leaves a lot to be desired, but I know that I should as it is the most reccomended. Does this teach you things like how to hanle a deck of cards properly e.g my rifle shuffle or is there another resource.
I know this is a lot of questions at once but would be very grateful for any advice.

Darrell
Bande
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of Bande
I really liked the Mark Wilson book because it is just a nice overview of magic. Card tricks, coin tricks, ropes, scarves and even rubberbands and stage tricks. basic moves are in there as well for cards and coins etc. I would start there, then see what things you seem to gravitate to. If cards, then the forum has lots of reccomendations, same with coins etc.

For me the key is finding something I think is really cool, then figuring out the best version and then who can teach it to me. For instance, I have recently become enthralled by Coin Matrix versions -- dunno why, just seems like "real" magic I guess. I am playing around with gimmicked and un gimmicked versions -- having a blast so doesn't really feel like practice.

For what it's worth other effects I seem to really enjoy are PK ring effects and making things vanish (arguable similar to some extent). researching Topit vs. Raven vs Black Widow vs Bat vs. Subterfuge vs. Trabucco etc. is a really fun way for me to spend some time. Not saying these will be the same for you, but just suggesting you find the things that cause you to think "man I want to be able to do that" and use that as a basis for what to study.

Hope that helps/makes sense
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
I have recently been bitten by the Magic bug and am excitedly buying all sorts of tricks online with various magic shops. I have worked out though that what I need to do, for now anyway is stop buying gimmick style tricks and instead learn from dvd's or books and as I learn best visually I think dvd's are probably best.

Excellent beginning, Dazzler. You have learned early that buying "one-trick-ponies" (as I call them) can be the most expensive way to learn magic. Concentrating on a good set of books and DVDs is really the way to go.

Quote:
I would also like reccomendations on any dvd's that cover the basics of starting out in Magic or would a book be better, many people on this forum seem to reccomend Mark Wilson or Tarbell but have also heard good things about Michael Ammar Amazing Magic dvd.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is an excellent choice for beginners. It covers quite a variety of magic disciplines and the drawings are very easy to follow. Even many of the pros swear by this book. It has started many magic careers, just as the Tarbell series has. Best of all, the smaller Cyclopedia of Magic can be had for as little as $10 retail. Definitely a bargain in this day and age.

As for Michael Ammar, his Easy to Master series, whether it be in coins, cards, or anything else is quite good.

One advantage to books over DVDs, though, is price. A single DVD (or set) can cost you anywhere from $20 and go up from there. Usually, these only have a few effects on them. A book, on the other hand, can cost as little as $8 and have at least 50 tricks in it, depending on which ones you buy.

Quote:
I have been put off for the moment buying the Royal Road dvd's mainly because I am having fun with the self working tricks and possibly a bit worried about compex card sleights as even my rifle shuffle leaves a lot to be desired, but I know that I should as it is the most reccomended. Does this teach you things like how to hanle a deck of cards properly e.g my rifle shuffle or is there another resource.
I know this is a lot of questions at once but would be very grateful for any advice.

Both the Royal Road to Card Magic and Roberto Giobbi's Card College Volume 1 are excellent books for beginners in card magic who want to learn basic sleight of hand.

Hope this advice is helpful to you. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. That's what we're all here for, to learn from each other.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I work mostly with coins and packet card tricks. I've been wanting to get more in to deck tricks so I posted a similar question to your. You can read the tread here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&17

I bought the Royal Road and I am reading through it doing most of the tricks as I go and marking the ones that I feel like I may want to use. In the beginning I was only marking a few but as I get further into the book I am marking almost every one I read as a keeper.
Wes
The Conjuror
View Profile
Regular user
Illinois, USA
132 Posts

Profile of The Conjuror
Royal Road to Card Magic is definitely recommended for the cards. But if you are a beiginner and are interested in other types of magic as well, I highly recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic first. It will teach you ALL the basics.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
On 2007-04-11 23:32, Wes65 wrote:I bought the Royal Road and I am reading through it doing most of the tricks as I go and marking the ones that I feel like I may want to use.

Don't mark 'em - learn 'em! Perform 'em!

You may be like me. I spend far too much time reading about magic (or writing about it) when I should be practicing and rehearsing.

On the other hand, you may not be like me. Smile

///ark
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I like Oz Pearlman's DVD 'Born to Perform Card Magic', but it's not really a video for absolute beginners. Royal Road to Card Magic gets my vote for that.
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
dazzler
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dazzler
Thanks for all the good advice especially Clynim. I have just ordered myself a copy of Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic which should be here within a couple of days. Can anyone suggest another reference for Selfworking or Impromptu Card tricks, I have started out with Michael Maxwell, but wonder if this set covers everything. I have heard of Card College Light, does this have tricks not found on Michael Maxwells DVD's.

Darrell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginner in cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL