The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Alacatraz the Puzzle. Does anyone have this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1077 Posts

Profile of taller8
I thought this looked kind of interesting. Sometimes a puzzle trick can be fun.

Any comments from anyone who has seen this puzzle?

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......p;page=1
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
I have this, it is pretty ingenious. The creator of this used to sell them on Ebay, not sure if they still do that. It is pretty much a straight up puzzle so I am not sure how you could use it for a performance. I am sure there are some people out there who could find a way to use it for a performance but I just have it laying around for friends to try and solve. If you like puzzles though I think you will like this.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have one too. Hey, there's a cool version available, too, that's in ALL wood. One's large enough to "cage" your TV remote (that's what it's for..) and the other one is the right size for a wallet. They're like little, all-wood cages, and they operate the same way as the "Alcatraz" version. I don't have a link, and the store in my area that sells them isn't a chain, just an individual store.

Steve
Sweet M
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
56 Posts

Profile of Sweet M
Taller8. Cute name by the way. Think this looks really cool. Do you know the secret to the puzzle? Can it be solved by use of a common PK gimmick? I think I'll get one if so. Thanks and habba gr8 easter.
The Reality Unfolds.......Dedicate And Transform

TRU DAT,

Sweet M
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-04-08 00:16, Sweet M wrote:
Can it be solved by use of a common PK gimmick?

Good thought Sweet M! Hopefully a strong PK Gimmick should be able to do the trick.

Thanks for the idea.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
jerrydb4
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of jerrydb4
Yes, a PK Gimmick will solve it.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1077 Posts

Profile of taller8
I wonder how strong the PK needs to be?
Sweet M
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
56 Posts

Profile of Sweet M
Thanks to you all for the posts. I'll definitely get this one. Already running little routines through my mind. Have a super easter everyone.
The Reality Unfolds.......Dedicate And Transform

TRU DAT,

Sweet M
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I have had one for many years (probably at least 10 or 12 years).

If you use it for a magic routine, it is pretty much a show of skill or something. I would either pass it behind my back or even just turn my body around as quick as possible (360deg) and as fast as I could turn, I would have the ball out and in the condition that I could hand out both pieces for examination. So, it can be magical, but is more of just a puzzle.

Another method I used years ago was a small neo m*gn*t to open it. Once you know what part needs to be near it, it is really easy. I just tested with my Wizard PK ring and it works well to open it, but how you would actually use that in a routine... well that's up to you to decide.

Tom
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-04-08 13:42, TomKMagic wrote:
* If you use it for a magic routine, it is pretty much a show of skill . . . but is more of just a puzzle.

* I just tested with my Wizard PK ring and it works well to open it, but how you would actually use that in a routine... well that's up to you to decide.

Yes, for now, it’s just a puzzle. Glad to know that a PK Ring can solve the puzzle. No more twists, turns & bang to solve the puzzle.

Quote:
On 2007-04-08 13:27, Sweet M wrote:
Already running little routines through my mind.

Look forward to know more about the routines/ ideas you come up with 'The Great Escape from Alcatraz'.

A routine that comes to mind - After the STEEL BALL is made to escape from the cage use another (same size) magnetic ball & do the "Newton's Nightmare" effect. After all it wasn’t an ordinary BALL that was so well guarded. Smile

Smile

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1077 Posts

Profile of taller8
My pk rings works great with Alcatraz.

This is a 'must have' for anyone with a PK ring and for anyone who desires a great puzzle type effect.

For 12.95, this is great.

Feel free to pm me on how to operate it with a pk ring if you do purchase one. It comes with no instructions. After all, it is a puzzle.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
I too have had this for about 3 years or so and I gotta say it rocks!! I was very efficient/proficient in getting the ball out rather quickly. It never dawned on me to work this with a PK so I pulled mine out and as Ustaad and others have mentioned it makes working the thing a breeze.....no more banging.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of jimesw
Ok, now I feel really stupid. I bought this and can't figure it out.
Anyone want to pm me pointers?
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Wow!

I had one of these about 15 years ago until one of my friends got so frustrated that he bent one of the bars to get the ball out!!!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
When operating it (to open) you need to hold the ball with 2 fingers to keep the force from bending one (or more) of the bars, too.

Steve
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 13:36, jimesw wrote:

I have it and I don't think you want to know the real working, it would spoil the pleasure of finding the solution. But if you read all this posts about PK ring you can have a nice hint about it Smile

Dave
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5646 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2007-06-06 05:52, Roland78 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-06-05 13:36, jimesw wrote:

I have it and I don't think you want to know the real working, it would spoil the pleasure of finding the solution. But if you read all this posts about PK ring you can have a nice hint about it Smile

Dave

Yes, I too would suggest that you first try & attempt to solve the puzzle yourself. Failing which, check out the solution link I sent you thru a PM.

Happy solving! Smile Smile

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Alacatraz the Puzzle. Does anyone have this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL