The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » flash paper illegal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
constantine
View Profile
Regular user
Memphi, on the Mighty Muddy
189 Posts

Profile of constantine
FLASH PAPER is white sheets of highly flammable tissue paper. Leaves no residue. Suitable for magicians. We recommend use by professionals only. Store in cool, dry area away from heat. when shipped it is wet for safety and to comply with DOT regulations. To use, remove from bag and air dry for 24 to 36 hours. Available in 3 sizes: 8"x9", 9"x17", 17"x29". USE AND STORE WITH CARE. A State of California Pyrotechnics License is required if purchased in California. A State of California Pyrotechnics License is required if purchased in California. This material is hazardous.
Constatine 49%er
“The way of the transgressor is hard—to quit.”
—Jefferson Randolph “Soapy” Smith
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
A brief question about flash paper: Has anyone used it in an area with low(ish) ceilings, smoke alarms, and sprinkler systems? I've an idea for an effect with it but my venue is pretty much what is described above. Last thing I want to do is cause an indoor rainstorm!
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
But what an ending to your routine jaxonlee!
only joking. I have never had a problem with low celling alams but we have different specifications on this side of the pond.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Flash paper will set off resedential smoke detectors. I don't know how sensitive the sprinkler system would be.
Magic is fun!!!
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
Illegal in LA, all I kno
maniac
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Ga
65 Posts

Profile of maniac
Sprinkler systems usa a fusable link that requires about 800 degrees of constent heet to melt it, when it is melted the valve is opened.....

I don't think there is any way to set off a sprinker system using flash paper in the same room.
edfliss
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
58 Posts

Profile of edfliss
Today's flash paper is not the same as the flash paper of before WWII. While dangerous to use and requiring practice (like all other good magic effects)it usually needs a real source of ignition (match, candle flame, cigarette, glow plug, etc.). Spontaneous combustion is possible, but rare. The old flash paper was so sensitive that body heat could set it off. You can read about those sorts of effects in books written in the 20s and 30s of the last century. Those effects don't work with today's paper.

I don't believe the exploding car story, but if the story could be dated to the 1930s it would be more plausible.

I do a routine in my Human Sexuality class in which I burn several pieces of flash pad paper (on a theme of teenage sexuality and playing with fire) lighting the papers from a candle. Then I vanish the candle.

Ed
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
Sorry about digging the thread up, its quite old as I see.

Anyway, how is it with Flash string? Is it as flammable and dangerous as flash paper?

Do you think its safe to dry some flash string and carry it in your pocket? I mean, it doesn't ignite if it rubs against itself or stuff, eh? I strip mine so its one eight of a thread, like double as thick as sewing thread.

I can see its quite flammable, if I light a lighter and hold it like 10-15 cm away from the end of the thread, it starts burning slowly. Not with a WOOF and vanished in one second like it does usually but goes up sloowly.

Just wondering so I know. Smile
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
jorda.r
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jorda.r
I'm gona try that lol...
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
Flash string burns slower than flash paper because there is less of it exposed to oxygen. It's the same reason flash cotton that's been puffed out burns faster than flash paper.

If you strip the string it will burn faster than the thicker thread.

I've kept flash string in my pocket for a whole day without any problems, just make sure you stay away from a heat source that could light it. I've never had it self ignite from friction... that would be a lot of friction.

I normally use flash string with some sparkle additive to make it look like a fuse. The sparkle slows down the burning time even more (although it's still faster than the "cartoon" fuses you see Smile).

If you want more information on flash products I would suggest the book Special Effects With Fire & Smoke:
A Technical Manual from a company called Theatre Effects (http://www.theatrefx.com/). It's a great little book that answers a lot of your questions.
Lynn Lee
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Lynn Lee
What's the deal with flash pads then, out of curiosity? As far as I know, they aren't shipped wet, and they CAN be shipped via UPS/Postal Service, can't they? I'm not looking at all to get seriously into fire magic right now (no flash pots/cord/etc.) but I would like to use a card effect or two that needs (I presume) flash paper of some sort. It seems like flash pads would be ideal though, but how do those compare to flash paper?
Mystical Dave
View Profile
New user
Dave Pothier
3 Posts

Profile of Mystical Dave
I'm a fire official in Ontario, Canada. Flash paper, cotton, string etc. is Not illegal to use here. In fact in Canada for one to be able to use pyrotechnics one must be certified by the Ministry of Natural resources - Canada. However, right in their certification manual under the heading, "who does not require certificatio" it states -" performers such as magicians, who only use flash cotton,flash paper, flash string and sparkle string".
This is up to date info - I was just on a 2 day course for this 2 weeks ago. Hope this info helps.
michaelcarmona
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of michaelcarmona
I was interested in purchasing some flash paper and asked a grand master magician at his store that judged at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, California, USA about the legalities of pyrotechnics like flash paper. He said I could not buy it without a pyrotechnic license. He said in Los Angeles County it is totally banned for used except by Lance Burton when he visits the Magic Castle. In a near by county, Riverside, flash paper can be used but with permits and permission from the Fire Marshal. To purchase you may need a pyrotechnics license and in venues you may need insurance that costs a lot!

Looks like pyrotechnics is not worth the trouble these days because of continuous laws, regulations, and mishaps.

So much for the good old days of magic. A balloon pop just won't replace the glamore though!

I can see how safety should come first for the audience though.

Like mom always said, "Don't play with matches!"
Michael Carmona
Mad Mat
View Profile
New user
Norwich, Norfolk, England
90 Posts

Profile of Mad Mat
I don't see how it can be illegal tho,

my friend brought some into school, and we were playing with it burning em in our palms, and you can barely feel it.

Although it looks a fierce flame, it isn't very hot.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I always get mine shipped thru priority mail, not wet and no flammable imprint on the package...I keep the stuff in a fireproof safe, in a cool spot...
Mad Mat
View Profile
New user
Norwich, Norfolk, England
90 Posts

Profile of Mad Mat
I havent seen anywhere in england to buy it (no shops)
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
Online dealers have made flash paper plentiful. Even if it is considered illegal in a county, perhaps in a public arena, I would believe that it could be used with permission anywhere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » flash paper illegal? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL