The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Monique's "Decisions" - A Presentational Quandary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I've loved this effect ever since I saw Derren perform it on the TV show, so I was pretty excited to see that a gimmick was being made available. Despite some negative/neutral reviews, I really like it.

As I've been performing it, I begin with Looch's idea of giving the spectator both Yes and No and allowing them to choose ones that I guess. This happens three times. Then we reverse roles, and I perform it as Derren did. The idea was to extend the game and bring money into it to build tension and interest. I found, however, that people tend to be confused as to how the second half is played. It's confusing (and then frustrating) that they're always wrong.

So I wonder this: would it make more sense to have them be correct every time as though I'm passing along my powers to them momentarily? The benefit of this is, of course, to relieve confusion and to make it more positive. The downside is that you lose that wonderful tension as they try as hard as they can to beat you.

One more point to consider is that in a game where you continue to beat the other person, he would be more likely to consider trickery and cheating as a potential explanation whereas someone who's getting the right would rather believe in his own ability.

Just thinking out loud...in writing?
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Woops...I apologize for misspelling the creator's name in the topic.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I almost like the idea of the spectator being right MORE than you are! This could be because of a special amulet or object (gambling charm?), etc. Whoever holds it is always correct, while the other person . . . not so much.

It could also place any heat on something incidental to the routine and performance.

This seems to lean more towards a bizarre presentation, but could be really strong.

Best,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Maybe a presentation such as used in some Fast and Loose or endless chain routines. If 2 or more people are present have a designated spectator be right. Men against women, children vs adults etc.

Robert
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Wait next HALLOWEEN...

Use the BLANK set and it will be a perfect TRICK OR TREAT (and you always win!) Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Monique's "Decisions" - A Presentational Quandary (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL