The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Back to Basics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stolz
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
8 Posts

Profile of stolz
So I've been 'doing' magic for 2-3 years and suddenly find I have numerous tricks which I keep swapping and changing between when practising. I came to the realization that way is taking me nowhere. So I'm cutting back to a basic 2 or 3, and revisiting basic sleights which I'd ignored unless they were specifically called for in an effect. This choice can only be a good thing I guess. It's reminds me it's so easy to forget or lose your touch with basics, and is giving me confidence again in dealing with the basics. This can't be bad can it.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Focusing and working 2 or 3 specific tricks into an act or set can't hurt.
You have to know where you want to go with your magic or at least have a good idea.

I was in a similar phase as you and also went back to basics. I had forgotten how to think like a layperson and that the magic is for them.

Keep in mind that if you have no focus on where your going then you will likely end up back to nowhere. Bad habits are hard to break.

Good luck,
stolz
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
8 Posts

Profile of stolz
That's very true. I was going nowhere because I would pick up an effect to work on it, the next day pick up another, and the next another and so on. Until I suddenly realised I wasn't happy with any of them, or rather, with myself. So I'm reviewing this week what I want from magic and will take it from there.
Thanks for your support.
Stolz
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Stolz - first welcome to the Café.

We're similar in nature as I've just returned to magic after almost 30 years and am focusing on close up with an emphasis on cards. I too subscribe to the theory of studying the classics and with cards I have a particular interest in the Spanish school of thought (Ascanio, Giobbi, Tamariz, etc).

As for focus I know exactly what you mean. I'm jotting my thoughts down as I reacquire my 'chops' in an online diary which is posted on my blog, http://www.poolside-reflections.blogspot.com. You can pick up a link there to all of my diary entries which discuss the need for the basics in card magic.

I've written some about simple techniques like the pinky break which is the foundation for a lot of the card work that is around today. The Café also has many threads about the pinky break and is discussed a lot by 'Vinnie the Godfather' who you'll run into eventually.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
My bad on the link above. It should be:

http://www.poolside-reflections.blogspot.com

(I added a period to the original link)
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
The last two times I have attended Magic Chicago events, there have been several professionals performing per show -- most of them doing only 1-3 tricks each. So one's impression of how good a magician is might come from a single trick. In this circumstance, how well one can perform two or three tricks is far more important than how many tricks one knows.

When one is practicing tricks without an audience, there can be a craving for novelty -- new and different tricks. But this desire for novelty does not necessarily lead to good magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Time after time » » Back to Basics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL