We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dover's Magic Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
If you're a beginning magician on a tight budget, read on:

Dover Books publishes a library of 52 magic books, most of them targeted to beginning magicians. This includes the full collection of Karl Fulves' excellent 'Self-Working Magic' books, as well as many classic works like Bobo's 'Modern Coin Magic' and Erdnase's 'Expert Card Technique'. The Dover web site even includes the Tables of Contents for almost all of their magic books, so you know just what you're getting before you buy.

These are all quality printed and bound books, but best of all they are all under $20, with an average price of $13 to $15. I have about half of these books in my library so far, and I'm sure I'll end up with almost all of them eventually.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-su......ain.html

(I'm not associated with Dover Books in any way. I'm just a huge fan.)
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I have quite a few of the Dover books too -

Expert at the Card Table
Jean Hugard's Card Manipulations
Magic and Showmanship

and a few more. I would have to say they are, by far, the best magic books for the price you pay - especially when you are just starting out.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Airship, your post gave me a nostalgic smile Smile I have been in magic for 30 years, and Dover books formed the backbone of my learning library. One of my favourites was the Cyclopedia of Magic by Henry Hay, which I still have, an excellent encyclopedic reference work I recommend to any beginner, especially as it also gives you a glimpse into the old, grand days of magic. Yes I recommend Dover books any day.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Airship, your post gave me a nostalgic smile Smile I have been in magic for 30 years, and Dover books formed the backbone of my learning library. One of my favourites was the Cyclopedia of Magic by Henry Hay, which I still have, an excellent encyclopedic reference work I recommend to any beginner, especially as it also gives you a glimpse into the old, grand days of magic.
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
I also love the Dover books (including the chess titles).

However, I've recently been going through the process of replacing mine with the hardcover versions. Many of them are readily available for not too much money.

///ark
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
From Dover?
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
No, the original editions. Last week, I picked up Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Jean Hugard, published by Max Holden, 2nd ed., 1940, for five bucks at a magic flea market. It's not in very good shape, but that actually appeals to me.

I've also got Expert Card Technique and the Card Manipulations booklets. I just think it's cool to hold a book that another (or maybe many other) magicians have learned from.

That said, I'm going to keep my Dover Royal Road to Card Magic. It and I have been through too much together to part.

///ark
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
431 Posts

Profile of kris attard
That sounds like a real bargain you made.

Over a decade ago I managed to get my hands on a few old books from a local elderly magician who has since passed away. He came from the old era of magic, when people actually paid to watch a three hour stage show of grand illusion, elaborate presentations andthe like. The prize among these books I got is Will Goldston's Exclusive Magic Secrets, which Dover publishes of course but this was one of the original numbered locked books. I know what you mean, Mark, its thrilling just to leafd through the pages, and even the notation in pencil by the magician as he worked on a trick adds to the experience. Sheer magic.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
The Dover editions are a wonderful bargain, and I have quite a fewof the Dover magic books (by the way, look through their catalogue on line, they publish a lot of other interesting books!)
Just keep in mind that many of the Dover books are reprints of original editions that were allowed to fall into the public domain, when updated editions of these books were published. The Dover "Bobo", for instance, is the 1952 edition, "Modern Coin Magic", and does not have the revised chapters that appeared in the 1964 revision "The New Modern Coin Magic" (It is still a great bargain, but if you get the Hardcover revision you do get a lot more material)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Yeah, It is kind of scary to think that new guys nowadays are paying 30 or 40 dollars for a DVD with maybe 5 or 6 tricks on them where you can get a book with hundreds of effects for a few dollars. I posted elsewhere about a recent deal I got online. I checked amazon because I wanted to buy some of the Karl Fulves books and a friend of mine told me about a website here in Taiwan that is run by the same company that runs 7 eleven. The price on the site is the same as amazon (between 6 to 8 dollars) depending on the book. They had a discount of 20 to 25% if you bought more than 10 books which I did. Got them at about 5 bucks a book. 8 books equals 1 DVD. 1 book has about 75 effects. 6 effects on DVD versus 600 in the 8 books. Why on earth would you want to buy the DVD? Royal road to Card Magic is 10 bucks.????!!!!
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
Quote:
On 2007-04-10 10:16, abc wrote:Why on earth would you want to buy the DVD? Royal road to Card Magic is 10 bucks.????!!!!

Because seeing an expert perform magic is better than reading about it. Having an expert seeing you perform magic is best of all, of course.

As someone said in a different context, reading about magic is like dancing about architecture.

///ark
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Re: that note back up there a couple of posts...

I just want say that I also decided to shell out considerably more money for Magic, Inc.'s updated "NEW Modern Coin Magic", rather than buy the less expensive Dover edition. But 85% of what's in the new edition is in the old, which makes it a real bargain for the price. If you can afford it, though, definitely go for the newer edition.

And I hasten to point out that while Dover does print many old public domain works, they are the original and only publisher of Martin Gardner's books, as well as Karl Fulve's "Self-Working Magic" series and other works.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Dover editions really ARE great. Essentially they amount to hardbound books without the hard cover, thus they hold up well with much use.

The Bobo's edition is a mixed blessing in that it is NOT the Expanded edition that you can still only get from Magic, Inc. in Chicago or dealers that sell same. Much of the neatest material is missing. On the other hand it is much less expensive and has much to recommend it, even without the addional material.

Expert Card Technique by Hugard is a stand out product and well worth the investment.

All in all the Dover line is worth a look for anyone in magic. Best,
Brad Burt
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I have Paul Curry, Magicians Magic and that book is great because it has "out of this world!"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Another fine Dover reprint is "Hugard's Magic Manual," which was originally published in the late 1930's as the "Modern Magic Manual," written by Jean Hugard, the Australian vaudeville magician. It contains chapters about coins, cards, balls, silks, watches, cigarettes and more, and is an excellent value at $12.95.

It's available on Amazon or directly from Dover, click HERE for more information. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
MagicalAdam
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of MagicalAdam
Quote:
On 2007-04-09 14:25, kris attard wrote:
Airship, your post gave me a nostalgic smile Smile I have been in magic for 30 years, and Dover books formed the backbone of my learning library.

Same thing with me. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have those books.
"Mommy, what's that man doing up there?"
"He's putting on a Blindfold, my dear."
"What's a Blindfold, Mommy?"
"Something you wear so that you cannot see."
"Why's he wearing one, Mommy?"
"So that he can tell us what he's looking at." -
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
People often underestimate the contents, just because the books are old and affordable. BIG MISTAKE
Cards never lie
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Some of the best things out there are not new.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dover's Magic Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL