The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Stone coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pat Trick
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Pat Trick
Hey Coin People:

On David Stone's Real Secrets of Magic DVD, he uses these sweet looking coins for his coin routines. They're about the size of Kennedy US half-dollars but slightly brighter and more copperish in color, and possibly a smidge larger. At one point he says (half under his breath) that it's an American dollar, but a few close-up shots show something different -- a coin with an embossing pattern I've never seen. I couldn't find any reference in the credits. Any clues?
To try is to risk failure; not to try, to guarantee it.
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
I'm pretty sure they are silver dollars he uses. I could be wrong though. They look like morgan silver dollars...
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Pat Trick
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Pat Trick
Well, I cn't seem to find US silver dollars. Banks no longer carry 'em, unless you mean the Indian mom with baby version, and they are copper looking and are smaller than half dollars. I'll take another close gander. Thanks, Speed.
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Ebay has tons of any coins that you want for magic. Banks will no longer carry silver coins simply because the silver content of the coins costs many more times than the value of the coin. You can still find clad half dollars (kennedy's) and Ike dollars at some banks and in circulation. I believe David Stone uses Morgan dollars and Kennedy halves.

Stevie D
-Stevie D
Pat Trick
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Pat Trick
Hey Stevie:

Thanks, but you've opened up a "coin of worms." A google search discovers that there are three or four different kinds of Ike dollars, as well as Morgans. I'm going to go back and pause the Stone DVD and get a real close look at them coins!
Seriously, I 'preciate the help!

-P
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Go with your hand size, not the color. In order from largest to smallest, these are American coin sizes (for our non-American friends):

(1) Walking Liberty Silver Dollar - investment coin, currently minted
(2) Morgan, Peace, and Eisenhower Silver Dollars - early to mid 20th century
(3) Half Dollars - mid-19th century to current
(4) Quarters - mid-19th century to current
(5) Sacajawea and Susan B. Anthony 'new' dollar coins - mid-70's to current
(6) Nickels - mid-19th century to current
(7) Pennies - mid-19th century to current
(8) Dimes - mid-19th century to current

Earlier versions of any of these except the nickel, penny, and 'new' dollars are silver; late 20th century versions are sandwich, except for #1. The nickel content of nickels has varied over the years, as has the zinc content of pennies. Pennies were even made of steel during WWII. Sacajawea dollars are gold-washed. Nickels, pennies, and 'new' dollar coins don't have a ridged edge, whereas all other U.S. coins do, except for the new Presidents series of quarters which aren't ridged but do have an edge inscription.

Of course, this list leaves out many, many antique American coins. But these are the ones that are generally available for a reasonable price.

What most people don't know is that the U.S. Mint STILL presses common coins in 90% silver instead of sandwich. But these are sold as limited edition proof sets directly by the Mint for $38. Still, if you want some real shiny coins for your routine, well. Smile

http://tinyurl.com/kokna
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Pat Trick
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Pat Trick
Airship, you da mensch! Thanks for the info mother lode. I agree entirely with your size-over-color comment, but there's something to be said for the added showmanship of getting used to coins that have an extra visual zing to 'em.

Thanks again,

- Padraig
mickey.w
View Profile
Veteran user
HK
312 Posts

Profile of mickey.w
So actually are half dollars still being produced by the mint today? I'n not from the US, but often spread as rumor among my local magic community is that halves have went off-mint since 2000 or maybe some yrs ago. is that true?
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
575 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
NOT TRUE. Kennedy halves are still being minted today!
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Minted or not... they are not common pocket change anymore. You can't use them in parking meters, most vending machines etc AND were you to check in a cash register you might find only a few per week in a BUSY supermarket. At least that is what I recall from 1980. Since then even the dollar coins have become an annoying fuss for most folks.

If you simply MUST use a certain sized coins for your tricks because of the moves/methods... you might as well do the work and find a good reason to carry them. Remember, nobody says you MUST do coin tricks in parlor or platform venues and there are things like billiards and thimbles etc.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » David Stone coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL