The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Single-Handed Matrix: Rene Lavand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Hi Folks,

Just started reading "Magic From The Soul" I first noticed the some of his routines have alternate names and then I noticed that "Single-Handed Matrix" wasn't listed. Does anyone know if there is another name for his matrix routine?

I'm not disapointed in the book, by the way. With 70 routines and his various techniques to learn, I'll be busy for a long time. I was just wondering if his matrix routine is in the book under another name. Thanks very much.
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
Rene may have a one-hand matrix, but it is not in his books. Check some of the other threads on the one-handed matrix. I always wondered the reason you would have for doing it one handed unless you were Rene. Does it appear to be showing off when you only use one hand? Or do you have a reasonable reason for doing it one handed?

Good luck

Craig
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well I can't answer that question for Hearttau, Craig, but I sat in awe at TAOM and watched Rene's performance, translated by Tina Lennert, almost gave up magic after watching that. I came away with the same question since they were selling his book and notes there. I was reaching for my money and then said to myself, "you have two hands, why do you need to learn one handed moves?" I was about to decide that it was just for showing off, and would have been of little practical value, then it occurred to me that there were a lot of possibilites for using some of those one handed moves, not as Rene uses them, but in other effects some effects that might be combined with those moves and other moves I can do with two hands to create some new effects. That and being able to develop the hand control to do some of those one handed moves, certainly wouldn't hurt my ability with sleights, so I dug down and bought the book and notes. Rene is a sort of cross between Max Mavin, Eugene Burger, and of course Rene. His whole approach to magic is so unique. One of the best magic purchases I ever made. I think learning some one handed magic will do more for me in the long run than just gaining some new slights and physical control. The old walk a mile in the other guy's shoes sort of thing, gives you a whole different view, and in magic that is always worth the effort.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The "Godfather's 'One Hand Matrix':
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Here's Rannie Raymundo, aka The Boss, aka The Manila Enforcer's matrix:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Sometimes doing things with one hand can be more convincing.
I use one hand second deals almost exclusively in a card routine of mine.

CPontz, If you've read some of Hearttau's posts you would know that he's not doing this simply to show off.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Thank you jazz for putinng up my crimp-trix effect
is was not done to show off either , but rather to show how convincing my crimp palm is and it' s many uses
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Hearttau
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey: Exit 15 E
423 Posts

Profile of Hearttau
Cpontz,

Isn't every performer a "showoff" at one time or another. My reason for doing it is the same as Mr. Lavand. My left hand is slightly paralyzed.

Jaz,

Thanks, once again for your help. I found Rannie’s matrix in a search last week, but I just wanted to be sure I had not overlooked it in "Magic from the Soul" first. I finally read through all the listed routines this weekend and verified it wasn’t there.

Vinny,

Now I have two routines to choose from. I couldn’t find your “crimp-trix effect” listed on your site. Is Rannie’s “4 Coins 4 Cards 1 Hand” the same technique? I see he shares your site. I tried to download “4 Coins 4 Cards 1 Hand” and nothing happened. I noticed that the video above the link is out so I’m not sure if the problem was on my end or yours. I wanted to ask if you take Visa, since I don’t use Pay pal. P.M. me if you like.

Photius

If I ever come up with any one-handed routines of my own, feel free to use them. I’d love to see Rene Lavand in person. Does anyone know if he’s still touring, or has he retired?

Thanks to one and all.

David
Lentidigitator: “A magic artist who performs slow motion magic”... Rene Lavand

"Peace and all good"... St. Francis

"Hold on to your joy!"... Me Smile

http://mysite.verizon.net/hearttau/
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
David no rannies effect and handling is entirely different
if you want to learn my technique pm me with email address and I will senad you a demo with the handling..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
David:

I was not trying to say you were a showoff and I apologize if it came across that way. And yes, you are right, every magician is a show off at one time or another.

Jaz: You are right. I haven’t been keeping up for a while now, but wasn’t trying to put anyone down.

Rene Lavand is one of my idols as far as magic goes. In 2002 I had neck surgery for a variety of reasons. One of the results of my neck problems was that I lost feeling (actually it is called hyper-sensitivity) in my right index finger and thumb. This made card magic very difficult to do.

Card magic was what I started on and I feared that I would never be able to do cards the way I did before. That is when I first saw Rene on TV. I think it was one of the Worlds Favorite Magicians shows. Anyway he did his oil and water routine “It Can’t Do It Any Slower” and I was inspired. I bought all of his books, studied, practiced, practiced and more practice (a couple of years actually) and am now proficient in a lot of his material. I tried performing some of the material and always felt the need to explain the story of Rene and how he inspired me before I would do the one-handed stuff. It just seemed to me to make the magic more like magic and give a reason for doing it one handed. Especially since I was doing other slight of hand (coins) with both hands. I didn’t want to be perceived as “showing off”. So I was trying to give you my experience in a couple of words of advice, for what ever it was worth.

I did get to see Rene perform and had the privilege to attend two of his lectures at Muhlenburg College several years ago. At one of the lectures, it was a question and answer thing for about an hour. I had a front row seat, got to meet the Master and his wife and talk to him (through a translator). One of the questions I asked was if he had plans to write any other books on his material. He told me he had written another book and it was scheduled to be printed in Spanish. I never heard anything else about it, so if anyone does know, please let me, and a lot of other people who are interested in this material know about it.

I believe he is still performing, so if you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it.

PS. Dave – You’re not that far from me. I’ll PM you.

Best of luck,

Craig
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Let me be the first to say that my 441 was not intended to be a stand alone effect. It would be misleading to say that it is , though it is IMHO strong enough to be one. I designed this matrix to be a final phase. My motivation of using one hand is well......in a way showing of, BUT..... not in a negative way.

I start with two hands and it escalates in difficulty. From 4 cards and 4 coins, to 2 cards and one coin, to 1 card and 4 coins to 441. Two hands to one hand.

I guess it wont make sense until you see the entire presentation. I even worked on the patter to be tight with the choreography. This is a product of more than 10 years of tweaking and permutations.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Single-Handed Matrix: Rene Lavand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL