The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » A bad lecture or a bad lecturer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I was recently reminded how badly I distaste a bad lecture, but also how badly I distaste a poor lecturer. Before a recent lecture I saw a friend whom I hadn't seen in a while. We shook hands and were instantly catching up. The lecturer strutted over to me, stepped in between my friend and I who were in conversation, and began to tell me what I needed to do in magic (his back to my friend). He did not excuse himself. He has never met nor seen me before in his life (including perform at any time), but he began telling me what I needed to do with my magic. He was arrogant, rude, and oblivious to others.

Then the lecture began. It was aweful. His performance was so terrible I could not see him justifying charging for a lecture. Furthermore, I could not see the club justifying hiring him for a lecture. In his lecture he taught the crayon/wax under fingernail trick - AND BLEW IT! First, I think that book is in all of the magic books one reads in the 2nd grade in the elementary school library. Why is it in his lecture? Second, HE BLEW IT! Anyway, the tricks were bad and the presentations were worse. Furthermore, as he was about to begin his explanation/lecture portion, I leaned to my wife and whispered, "Watch, he's going to be a think-tank." Sure enough, he was. He had theory coming out his ears as to why this should be done this way and that should be done that way. He sounded well studied in magic and theory. Too bad he didn't put it into practice.

I am weary of think-tanks acting as authorities on the subject of magic, but failing to deliver the goods when it comes to really performing. Is it too much to ask that a man be kind, respectful, hide his ego for a few minutes, AND KNOW HOW TO PERFORM AND PRESENT MAGIC before he take my money and behave like an "authority on magic"?

BTW, Philly guys, it was not our club where I saw this (IBM Ring 6 - we only have superb lectures lined up for '07).

Respectfully, yet annoyed,

Forrest Chapman
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Yes that wasn't the best lecture Forrest. I believe he was a last minute replacement though - I think we were supposed to have Simon Lovell. I wonder if he does the crayon trick?
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On 2007-04-10 23:55, FCpreacher wrote:
(IBM Ring 6 - we only have superb lectures lined up for '07).

I am looking forward to all the lectures coming up in 07.
What a great line up!

Looking forward to seeing all of you loyal members, new members, and guests as well.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » A bad lecture or a bad lecturer? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL