The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video..Please review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Weatherbee
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Central FL
21 Posts

Profile of Weatherbee
Here is a link to my latest promo video. Please let me know what ya'll think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD3IgOpBrsU
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Not bad. These are just a few comments (in no particular order) after watching it once:

1. Thank you for using a blue curtain. Too many times I see black on black and the magician is a floading head. Thank you for that.

2. You have some great testimonials. I'd move them closer to the start of your video. It wasn't until after about 2 and a half minutes that you showed them. I really feel passionate about the power of testimonials. You've got a lot of them, which is great. Just bump a few of them closer to the beginning.

3. You have some nice reaction shots in the closeup section. Unfortunately, that wasn't until halfway into the video either. I had you nailed as a stage guy. Maybe sprinkle in a brief montage at the start showing two or three of your closeup shots before showcasing the stage show.

If you show the closeup/stage montage at the start, they'll know to look forward to that later in the video. This way you've got a video subdivided into "acts."

4. Maybe end on a slow motion of you jumping off the trunk followed by a slow motion of you tossing the streamers out. However, end the video BEFORE you start pulling them back. It is anticlimatic. Do the fadeout as the streamers are still going towards the audience.

You've got some nice footage and a great start! I hope you get a lot of work from it. You look like you have a lot of fun in your show.

Warm regards,
Scott
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree the blue backdrop is great! You also seem to get across some of your persona on the tape...but maybe some actual audio (you talking and audience reactions) can be worked in to show more.

I agree with Scott's suggestions. You do need reaction shots of audiences in the illusion parts.

A little critique about the Mission Impossible music...no I am not going to hound you for using an overused piece...it works well...but, it is a faster paced type of composition that leads to excitement. The beginning animal productions lagged a bit. Some simple editing can make it go faster. You don't need to show the whole trick.

One other thing I noticed that really isn't related to the video itself is that your Zig Zag looks off in regards to the painted figure on the front and the head hole placement. It should be more centred.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Looks good ...........

Get yourself a Pro-hoop for the levitation.

Jim
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1963 Posts

Profile of tbaer
When I click on the link it takes me to the next screen, but no video. Am I doing something wrong.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1963 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Now I was able to view it, very nice. Do you have problems actually getting volunteers for the guillotine head chopping routine?
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Weatherbee,
Nice Job.

You have already received great advice from Scott and Bill. The following is mine.

1) I am also a big fan of testimonials. Consider putting them in the first 30 seconds of the video. If a potential client sees a familiar company name that could get you a phone call before they finish viewing the video.

2) I am on the same page with Scott about creating “acts” in the video. I would consider dropping in text to break up the video.
A) Family reunions
B) Kid Magic
C) Comedy magic
D) Trade shows
E) Walk around magic for corporate parties
F) Corporate team building

3) Add sound tracks of your voice and of the audience. When I am watching your video I feel disconnected with you. My audio sense is overwhelmed by the music and makes me feel like there is a wall between you and me. My personal choice would be to use a music score that is not recognizable but fits your video. You can google music loops and sample thousands and purchase them at a reasonable price.

Brainstorm these questions with your friends.
What does your client want to achieve by hiring you?
What are you offering your client that is going to make their boss come up to them and say “Great job on hiring Paul Weatherbee. The CEO told me this was the best corporate event we have had in years.”

The answers to these and many like them should be peppered though the video in a subtle way.

Great job.

~John
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-04-12 14:37, John Heggie wrote:

3) Add sound tracks of your voice and of the audience. When I am watching your video I feel disconnected with you. My audio sense is overwhelmed by the music and makes me feel like there is a wall between you and me. My personal choice would be to use a music score that is not recognizable but fits your video. You can google music loops and sample thousands and purchase them at a reasonable price.
~John

One reason I didn't really mention about the use of a know track was because of the many discussions already on this. However, it is important that if you are using recorded music that you are licensed to do so in promo video (or anywhere else for that matter). Refer to the sticky on the top of the FX section

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&40
Weatherbee
View Profile
New user
Lakeland, Central FL
21 Posts

Profile of Weatherbee
Wow! That's some GREAT information guys! I want to thank everyone who responded with some advice. There are many points that I hadn't considered, but will definately keep in mind when I re-edit this in the future. I really appreciate the advice that John, Bill and Scott gave. You guys Rock! Thanks again!
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Along with all the great advice you've received I would add one more:
Put your contact info in the video!!
Even if you mail it or email it along with brochures or letters, there should at least be a "CALL TO BOOK" reference at the end.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » My Promo Video..Please review (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL