The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adobe Photoshop Addicts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
So who here FREQUENTLY uses Adobe Photoshop? Share your tips, and your edited/ enhanced pics if you like! Just asking.

How long have you been using the program?

You use it for what exact purpose?

Wanna share samples? (post link/ site)

What are your techniques in using the program?

(I hope you gus answer! Digital artists, unite!)
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Why don't you start by sharing your stuff? I was an addict about three years ago. I've slowed down since then. I used to do your typical Photoshop photo-manipulation back in the earlier days of high school. I was a Graphics Editor for the school newspaper where I used PS extensively. Now I use it more for practical purposes, but I still indulge in the occasional fun bit of digital devilry (my current avatar, for example, is Photoshopped for color).

A lot of my digital work is concentrated in 3D applications. I don't have an online gallery, but I uploaded some images to Photobucket:

Church Altar
The Granada Theatre
Granada-Old Edit
Balloon Dude
Rainbow

Not Photoshop per se, but you called for the Digital Artists of the Café to unite!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3198 Posts

Profile of gaddy
My icon? A Photoshop filter. Metaltype I think it's called...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lil' Adobe story. I had jury duty in San Jose, Ca., Adobe is headquartered downtown in San Jose. On the jury pool we had a guy who was a PhD who worked for Adobe and he was hoping to be kicked off the jury because he was, per him, an expert and photographic evidence and detecting fraud as in a photo manipulated by Adobe software. He was a snot. There was a jolly fellow that I sat with and when the Adobe guy said his name this guy smiled, when he said he was an expert etc this fellow giggled. We go back to the waiting area and the guy I was sitting with was a contractor hired by Adobe to make fake photos to challenge the PhD guy! They had never met but the PhD guy hated the contractor because he had been fooled and tormented by him for years. I was greatly entertained by the jolly fellow teasing the PhD while we sat around, the PhD never would look at the other guy or speak to him....it was fun! The jolly guy emailed me some photos he had completely fabricated and let me tell you, I couldn't tell they were not real. My hat is off to you Adobe folks, I'd love to learn it.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Paintshop Pro for me. Been using it for 7+ years and it works great for me.
The best program is the one that gets used a lot and gets the job done.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I've been using Paint Shop Pro at least as long as you have, Iven.

I even got my previous employer to use it to replace Photoshop - with Photoshop we could only afford a single license and had to have one guy do all the photo touchups. With PSP, for the same money everyone could have their own copy and do their own work. Yes, it's that much easier to use than Photoshop.

I asked for it here at work and got Photoshop instead, since we have a site license for it. Hate it. Things are much easier to do in PSP. I have v. 9 at home, which is just one license behind. I keep a copy of v. 5 (the last freely distributable version) here at work and use it most of the time. I rarely have to blow the dust off of Photoshop. Even v. 5 of PSP has got a lot of power.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
LOVE Photoshop!

Here's a post card I created and sent to clients last Halloween:

http://www.lyndel.net/temporary_stuff/halloweenpostcard2.jpg

Lyndel
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Nice work, Lyndel. Did the 'glow' come with the font, or did you add it?

I like how you made yourself so transparent that it took me a few seconds to see you. It was kind of like a virtual 'Boo!' The bug-eyes helped that effect, too. Sweet! Smile

Is the cemetery a stock photo or did you take it yourself?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since PS V3.0 and use it daily. See photos in Genii for samples (with my credit line).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 13:15, airship wrote:
Nice work, Lyndel. Did the 'glow' come with the font, or did you add it?

I like how you made yourself so transparent that it took me a few seconds to see you. It was kind of like a virtual 'Boo!' The bug-eyes helped that effect, too. Sweet! Smile

Is the cemetery a stock photo or did you take it yourself?

Airship,

I added the glow in photoshop.

Yep, I took the transparency way down on my pic to give it the exact effect you described. I suddenly pop out at the viewer while they're looking at it.

The grave yard was a stock photo.

Thanks for the kind words by the way!

Lyndel
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
How long have you been using the program? 1996

You use it for what exact purpose? took graphic design college, now use it for personal artwork and personal design for professional uses.

Wanna share samples? (post link/ site) I got too many...
from banners, CD designs, posters, adjusting photos, personal artwork, collages, etc

Check out my website & myspace page.
collage examples:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf......=4653435
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf......=8855780

What are your techniques in using the program? I got too many.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Personally, I have found my experience to be the exact opposite of Airship.

Paint Shop Pro has always proven to be too counterintuitive for my taste. Just adding text to an image has been more work than it's worth, and I've never been able to successfully do it.

Photoshop, on the other hand, has been easy for me to use, even without having taken courses in it. I suppose that some day I'll actually have to sit down with a manual and really learn how to use it. I'll probably be blown away by all the things I could do with it.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever used Corel Draw?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Quote:
On 2007-04-12 19:22, Cyssa wrote:
So who here FREQUENTLY uses Adobe Photoshop?
You use it for what exact purpose?
Wanna share samples? (post link/ site)

Cyssa, I've been using PS Elements and finally bought CS2 the other day. I’m more of a photographer than a digital artist so I use it solely to touch-up photos (crop, adjust saturation/color, smooth out wrinkles, remove distracting elements from the background, etc.)
Click here to see Bob's Amazing Photo's
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-04-12 21:19, Andini wrote:
Why don't you start by sharing your stuff? I was an addict about three years ago. I've slowed down since then. I used to do your typical Photoshop photo-manipulation back in the earlier days of high school. I was a Graphics Editor for the school newspaper where I used PS extensively. Now I use it more for practical purposes, but I still indulge in the occasional fun bit of digital devilry (my current avatar, for example, is Photoshopped for color).

A lot of my digital work is concentrated in 3D applications. I don't have an online gallery, but I uploaded some images to Photobucket:

Church Altar
The Granada Theatre
Granada-Old Edit
Balloon Dude
Rainbow

Not Photoshop per se, but you called for the Digital Artists of the Café to unite!

3d! I never had the chance to learn those! Looks amazing, I love the first one, the altar. Thank you for sharing. A graphics editor? Coolies.
Cinnamon
View Profile
Loyal user
Philippines
227 Posts

Profile of Cinnamon
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 23:59, Marshall Thornside wrote:
How long have you been using the program? 1996

You use it for what exact purpose? took graphic design college, now use it for personal artwork and personal design for professional uses.

Wanna share samples? (post link/ site) I got too many...
from banners, CD designs, posters, adjusting photos, personal artwork, collages, etc

Check out my website & myspace page.
collage examples:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf......=4653435
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf......=8855780

What are your techniques in using the program? I got too many.

Thanks for sharing!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
My current avatar was tweaked in pshop
using pshop brushes.

Here's a link to my gallery:
http://pics.livejournal.com/mai_ling/

there's a mixture of everything.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
What is really great about photoshop is its ability to be "integrated" with Illustrator, offering quite a broad range of applications and effects.

Part of the reason I bought Photoshop and Illustrator in the first place was that I wanted a good photo editor and the tools to be really creative. When looking around at other programs, I noticed that nearly all other photo editing programs tended to compare themselves to Photoshop. It was at that point that I realized that this was the standard by which all others compared themselves. Needless to say, it then made my choice a lot easier. I have never regretted it nor would I ever go back to anything else. Now all I need is to get a version for Windows. My current one is for my old Imac.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Here's what I did to create my avatar using Paint Shop Pro:

(1) I started with a picture of me and my daughter smoking cigars on her deck.
(2) I cropped the image to make a head shot of just me.
(3) I converted the image to greyscale.
(4) I knocked out the background.
(5) Then I added a layer and created the blue glow in the background.
(6) I colorized the hat, shirt, and glasses.
(7) I painted in the smoke.
(8) Finally, I resized the image to avatar size.

Took about 10 minutes, tops, and I'm fairly pleased with the result. I do wish I had gone a little lighter on the yellow glasses, but it hasn't bothered me enough to actually go in and fix it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Cyssa
I am 61 years old, my avatar makes me look 40. When I give my business card to people they all ask me the same thing "is this a current picture?" Photo shop 7 makes me look young and I love it.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I agree Al! Photoshop is awesome! I'm 84 years old and I don't look a day over 40 in my avatar! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Adobe Photoshop Addicts (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL