The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randal on Letterman Tonight (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Received this e-mail from Jason:

Hi Doug-

Wanted to let you know that I’m taping my 6th appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman on Monday, and it will air on his 60th birthday which is this THURSDAY NIGHT APRIL 12th. Really hope you can watch. I’m planning a mixture of fast effects this time. Thanks as always for your support for my work. You can see my latest videos on the website at http://www.jasonrandal.com.

Yours,
Jason Randal
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4256 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Oh jeez again? Jason Randal is on the late show a lot.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Thanks, he must have typed it wrong in his e-mail. I just copy/pasted it and didn't check.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
No you typed it correctly..that is until you added punctuation. When typing out an email or URL, throw grammar out the window and don't use punctuation.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I cringe every time Jason Randal is on Letterman. Here's why.

I think we all root for magicians to succeed, get great exposure, etc. But come on, Jason Randal does not belong in front of millions of people on a show like Letterman. Last night, he did three tricks. The first two were the $100 bill switch and ...... a paddle trick! Yes, you heard me right - a bill switch and a paddle trick! We all know at least five magicians with real chops and great entertainment punch, and they're lucky to get a walk around gig at Appleby's. Does this kind of magic deserve the freakin' Late Show with David Letterman?

I dislike myself when I seem ungracious but this is just unbelievable to me.

If you consider the magicians that were on Carson, we saw really excellent magic. I still remember Lance Burton's first shot with his dove and cigarette act, Dean Dill with an inexplicable and colorful effect, and a card trick by Jimmy Grippo that still keeps me awake. Now we have Jason Randal.

Gianni
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I agree. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, a gimmicked deck, hot rod, and TT?? That's what I was doing when I first was learning magic as a kid. It goes to show how connections are important in the industry. It's been proven time and time again to be more important than talent.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Your average person rarely sees any close up magic on television or in person.

So although they are seeing standard store bought tricks, laymen do not know this.

In the end as often stated here on the Café, Your Personality / Persona are just as important as your effects and sleights.

Not to mention this guy looks like a real OVER ACHIEVER!

Here is his Bio........

Jason Randal, entertainer and consultant to Fortune 500 companies, brings a unique approach and skill set to corporate America. His astounding close up magic coupled with a comedic and fast paced mentalism show has proven to be ideal entertainment for his core clientele of senior level executives. With over a hundred television appearances, he’s a current favorite of David Letterman and Ellen DeGeneres. On stage, Randal has opened for comedians Jerry Seinfeld, Sinbad, and Dennis Miller, musical acts including The Four Tops, Glen Campbell, and The Temptations, and has performed before twelve heads of state including the last five US presidents.

As an executive coach, Randal works with both individuals and groups teaching personal influence and accelerated learning. He combines principles utilized by entertainment professionals to improve executive presence, communication, and effectiveness with measurable results. At elite business conferences, Randal has opened or closed for renowned speakers including Colin Powell, David Brinkley, George Will, Norman Schwarzkopf, Ari Fleisher, Terry Bradshaw, Anthony Robbins, Rudy Giuliani, and Wesley Clark.

Randal has systematically applied his methods to his own pursuits. He holds a Ph.D in social psychology, is a member of MENSA, plays and composes for five musical instruments, and has recorded six original music CDs. He performs in three languages, has published numerous magazine articles and authored three books. Randal is a board certified master hypnotherapist, a licensed locksmith, a NAUI scuba instructor, a licensed special effects technician, holds an airline pilot's license, and is a certificated gold seal and master flight instructor for both helicopters and airplanes.

Randal instructed six years for the Chuck Norris Karate Schools, currently holds a seventh degree black belt, and has been featured in Fighting Stars, Karate Illustrated, and Black Belt Magazines. He spent five years as a Los Angeles Sheriff’s deputy with two and a half years as an academy drill instructor. His ten years as a Hollywood stuntman includes doubling Eric Estrada on the CHiPs television series and eleven films including Officer and a Gentleman, The Fugitive, Tequila Sunrise, and Pretty Woman. A licensed general building contractor, Randal designed and built a unique granite house on his ranch outside of Yosemite National Park. Jason and his wife Celia alternate between homes in San Clemente and Mariposa.
takashi miike
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of takashi miike
Jason is a great performer ive only had chance to watch the first letterman appearance via his website.the effects were well perfomed,it doesn't matter what the effect is really its how it is presented and jason put across a number of effects in a short time and was entertaining.the problem is with magicians because they have known an effect for years they become bored with it ie. hot rod thumb tip etc.but don't forget many people have not seen these effects before and if they have they normally forget them.
good work jason and ill will check out your other appearaces later.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Well performed ...... well he did what most guys do .... standard presentation.... nothing special ... His effects are not planned to deal with Letterman's performance style...." Do you have a dollar ?... How about we use mine .." What kind of intro patter is that ? The hot rod .... what was that ... holy confusion Batman... he even said it was all accomplished with sleight of hand ... for every one that though they came out of a magic set .....what .....and then the triple whammy ... not only do the cards vanish they jump into another deck and not only that the deck cuts itself not once but 3 times..... Magic club two tricks in one confusion......I find your card and it will chance color and I found the 4 aces.... not for me .... I watched it with 2 laymen and they thought it was sad ......they were confused at what the trick was ... ANd they noticed every time Letterman playfully busted his ----- ... he gave a nervous smile and laugh .....
His resume sounds like a guy with lost of $$$ who changes his hobby every year....
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
MagicMan -- is that resume for real? It almost seems like a parody of a puffed up bio.

Yeah, I saw it too and it was pretty uninspiring. I seem to remember some commentary here about his last performance which was more sleight-intensive and how Letterman threw him off balance. Maybe he decided to go with easier effects so "he could concentrate on his presentation."
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
The touch 3 cards part looked really suspicious .... David touched the bottom card and Jason said no .... what ????? Very weird .... When he showed that they vanished it looked like he was hiding something....
did anyone else see these things..... I know the laymen I was with saw them ..Look out Kmar.....
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I thought the Jumping Gems trick was great. In fact, I ordered a set just like Jason's from Rich Hill's Illusion Shop.

I believe that the last trick used a three-way R&S force deck and an old Tannen's item called "The Cobra Deck" (no longer available) if I'm not mistaken.

Robert
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
It's great to hear from the critical ("Inclined to judge severely and find fault") experts here who presumably have all appeared on national television multiple times and who have a wealth of experience dealing with obnoxious, intrusive multi-millionaire television hosts.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I have been on Fox News.... live 3 times and the WB 11 twice.... Live .. not taped at 6 pm and shown at 11pm .... only a 2 second delay...... I know its not easy and Live Tv is not the Magician's friend ...so It takes extra skill, prep to pull it off smoothly.....For me simplicity and clarity are key ... confusion and trick fusion are the enemy ... trick fusion meaning... I found your card ,It change color and I found the 4 aces .
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
I think Jason is pretty funny in those clips and everyone seems to have a good time and enjoy the effects.

That's all that matters.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2007-04-14 22:21, Steve Hook wrote:
It's great to hear from the critical ("Inclined to judge severely and find fault") experts here who presumably have all appeared on national television multiple times and who have a wealth of experience dealing with obnoxious, intrusive multi-millionaire television hosts.

You're missing the point completely. As one of the main critics I am not for a second suggesting that I could pull off that gig. Having performed publicly I appreciate completely the huge pressure Randal was under in that hot seat. My point is that there are many tremendously accomplished magicians who perform outstanding magic - not Appleby's level magic - who labor anonymously and will never get such an opportunity even though they deserve it. My comments were directed toward the unfortunate truth that success, opportunity, etc. are all too frequently unrelated to talent or merit. When Jason Randal appears on Letterman, it just smacks you in the face with this truth. While most of us are aware of this sad fact of life, we'd like to think it may be different in some venues. For example, in Letterman's case, he has staff members who search the community for talent worthy of being exposed to millions of people. There should be some sense of meritocracy in this type of situation, where staff members are actively looking for the best in the business. So how can Jason Randal be the answer to that quest?

So before you dismiss the criticism as a bunch of sour grapes, please think about the essential point: are there more deserving magicians out there who could really showcase what magic can be? Where does Jason Randal fit in the hierarchy of skilled, entertaining magicians who are worthy of national exposure? In magic, we all too infrequntly get an opportunity to be on center stage for a huge national audience. Is Jason Randal the performer we want to put in front of the nation? Is he our best, or even among our best?

Gianni
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Unless I was a personal friend of Letterman there would be no way I would do magic on television, let alone close up, near Letterman. You just never know what he will do.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27034 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-04-15 16:13, Gianni wrote:...Is Jason Randal the performer we want to put in front of the nation? Is he our best, or even among our best?...

What's with the collective language?

As if the head of NBC called Hogwarts and told Dumbledore to send over a magish cause Letterman has a few dead minutes to fill?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Letterman hates magicians and he keeps briging Jason back. So I guess it's either him or nothing.

And I hope he will continue to be there, because he has done a great job so far. What I like most about him is that he always has a smile on and never takes everything so seriously.. unlike some of the people in this thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randal on Letterman Tonight (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL