The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randal on Letterman Tonight (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
takashi miike
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of takashi miike
I think you miss the point and you think like magicians instead of laymen when watching an effect.
ENTERTAINMENT !!!
ENTERTAINMENT !!!
ENTERTAINMENT !!!
JASON ENTERTAINED !!!
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
I watched with some laymen .... they thought is was funny for the wrong reasons....
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
His personality was great. I'll take a smile and a fun attitude over a 'look at me, look at me' presentation.

But I do agree, the effects did seem rather simple. But look at his work space too?
Turning to the side to face Letterman, having the audience looking straight at your side. That would definetly determine what I'd perform. They could of at least given him a table.
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
He was presented as a guest that can do tricks.

Not as a magician with his own performing space. Like you would see when they invite other performers
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
I think he is entertaining and isn't that the idea
Magic is Everywhere
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1563 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I asked in a real (as in non-magician) forum what people thought of him, and everyone said he was a good performer.

That's what it's all about.

You guys criticizing him should take a leaf out of his book - if he can entertain well with a thumb tip and a R+S deck and you need to spend hundreds of dollars on the newest tricks then I know who I'd rather be ...

We're all guilty of falling into the "latest and greatest" trap, I have to fight to keep things simple too.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I thought he did a great job, and really enjoyed watching it. Is he the best magician of all time? Did he do the most difficult, cutting edge routines ever conceived? No to both. Was he likable and amiable? Absolutely? And he certainly didn't besmirch the art, as some other recent TV performers have done.

All in all, I think he deserves more accolades than criticism.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I didn't see any of Jason's performances on Letterman. I have read most all of the of the reviews of his appearances. Some guys were not excited by his performance and some guts thought he did the appropriate effects for TV and did a fine job.

I am friends with Gianni (a few posts back)and we discussed this issue. I kinda of disagreed with his thoughts. Since I did not see the latest performance, I can only comment on the effects.

If I were lucky enough to get to perform a short set on TV, the bill switch is one effect I would definitely perform...for 2 reasons.
1) I think I perform it well and I don't think there is a chance I can screw it up on TV.
2) The reactions I get when I perform this strolling are excellent. It is usually one of the effects the audience remembers.

I think we discount some effects as being basic because look at it from a magicians point of view. Yeah, most magicians will probably yawn during a bill switch...but I think most lay people are amazed.

If you look at it from Gianni's perspective, I guess there are many other magicians
that would better represent the magic fraternity. But he probably got on the show because of other factors, such as; knowing the right people, marketing, promotions etc. and not for just talent alone. I actually applaud Jason Randall for putting himself in that position.

Rich B.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
686 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Jason may not come across as a magician's magician, but I certainly enjoyed his performances. He seems very likable and approachable, someone I'd enjoy hanging out with. I also really enjoyed his stage personality from his promo clip, where he was in his true form. He was funny and definitely had the audience's attention.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jason has been ON LETTERMAN. Ammar has done the Bill Switch on TV.

I applaud Jason! He did an excellent job!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
I love that J-Ran...he seems to be having LOTS of fun! Anybody else here been on the Letterman show?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jason Randal on Letterman Tonight (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL