The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How difficult is it to get magic supplies where you live? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
For Cards I can go to "Panamericana" which is like Office Depot in america. For tricks there are only 2 choices. 1 magic store that sells tricks at outrageous prices... and an online store (www.mundomagos.com) that while a tad expensive doesn't charge for S&H so that is good.

P.S I live in Colombia
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Where I live in Germany, there is no magic shop around. So, most of the stuff I need I buy in internet stores or on ebay.

Carsten
Optimists have more fun.....
magic_angle
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of magic_angle
We've only got 1 magic shop here where I live and its a custom place, the people selling the tricks don't know anything about magic
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
When I need rope I go to Lowes, When I need cards I go to Costco, when I need Scissors I go to Joann's Fabric, when I need fruit I go to Fred Meyer's, When I need odd miscellany I go to Michael's. Anything only a magic store would have, Williams magic in Tucson AZ, even though they are far away from me, I can count on them.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Wow..it really shows the advance in the internet with a lot of us ordering online now. I am lucky to have a brick and morter shop only about 30 to 35 miles from me. It is the Pike Place Market Magic Shop. A good shop and they will get stuff for you if they do not have it in stock or if it is a special order. Any way good luck in your search for cards. We in the States are so used to going to WalMart or other places like Josh has said.
Hey Josh..we are kind of close to each other..just yhat little hill between us..Well maybe not little but it is the mountain. Nice to see others kind of close to my area.

Happy Magic
Steven
Don Sautter
View Profile
New user
Arizona
58 Posts

Profile of Don Sautter
Where I live I can buy bikes in bulk but any magic items I need I must order as there is no local shop to me. (Perhaps I should open one! heh heh heh) The problem with online is that you never get the same feeling as when you can handle something before you purchase it.
Magicnevets
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
56 Posts

Profile of Magicnevets
Quote:
On 2007-04-15 03:03, Utkarsh Sinha wrote:
Probably another silly question, but why don't you drop Bicycles and get a local brand?

Hi Michael,
I find the Queens Slipper cards pretty low quality and don't last very long. As has been mentioned already just buy them on the popular auction site and you'll save big bucks. I recently bought 12 packs for A$20 but that was because the guy was closing down his ebay store. Just keep searching and you'll find a bargain.
Steve
I don't perform illusions... it just looks like I do!
F-Hmagic
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of F-Hmagic
Wow! I didn't realize that cards could be so expensive. I picked up a twin pack of Bicycle decks for about $2.50 this evening at Wal-Mart when getting groceries. Guess I should have bought more of them!
We really are spoiled here in the States in many ways. Thank you, though, for pointing that out. I will now think about that whenever I go to get more supplies.
What?! How'd that get there?!
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Hi Everyone

Michael, I'm also from Australia (Melb) and just joined the other day. Drop me a line sometimes as I'm only familiar with Bernards in Melb and would like to know of other stores in the country. On cards, can anyone tell me if you can get standard playing cards in a slightly smaller size. I'm interested in manipulations, but have medium sized hands, but then again, maybe I just need more skill through practice. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew McMillan
View Profile
New user
Melbourne Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Andrew McMillan
Hi Everyone

Michael, I'm also from Australia (Melb) and just joined the other day. Drop me a line sometimes as I'm only familiar with Bernards in Melb and would like to know of other stores in the country. On cards, can anyone tell me if you can get standard playing cards in a slightly smaller size. I'm interested in manipulations, but have medium sized hands, but then again, maybe I just need more skill through practice. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Andrew
Joker63
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Joker63
Drop me a line sometimes as I'm only familiar with Bernards in Melb and would like to know of other stores in the country.

Andrew, I gained my interest in Magic strolling Southbank in Melbourne. We (family and me) went into the Magic Store, more out of curiosity than anything. The staff are all accomplished magicians, and will demonstrate any trick (cards, rope, whatever), gimmick, or whatever (though not the secret/move to casual browsers). We saw the performance of Dynamic Coins and bought them for our son (then six and could do the trick very well once we purchased). Since then we have spent quite a bit of money there. Kamal, Dean and Glenn have always been prepared to spend the time showing you routines/tricks/gimmicks and trying to match your needs to any purchase. I often buy stuff for the kids, and they always recommend tricks that they will be able to do. So we can spend time playing with magic as a family: I have 'my' magic box, mostly cards and videos, books (ten at last count), some coin gaffs, and the kids have theirs; quite a bit of Tenyo, and plenty of gimmicks and gaffs.
WE booked Glenn for our son's birthday party a couple of years ago, Went down really well, Tom (our son) nearly wet himself he was laughing so hard.
Post sales service is always good. I recently bought a video there, and wanted some advice on one of the routines taught (when I was watching it at home). I got prompt response to an email question to help me.
I now live in Wagga Wagga, but always pop into the magic store to spend some money when in Melbourne. I have bought some other stuff online, but have been disappointed with one of the major US suppliers, and their responses to my complaint - effectively brushed me off on a card print quality issue, this annoyed me (their response) I spent 15 years as a printer and know for a fact their answer/explantion was rubbish.
There are cheaper options online, but I think it is important to support 'brick and mortar' magic stores. These are the only way to encourage beginners into magic - face to face service. Its hard where I live to get tuition, no magic clubs, but I can get support and advice by buying from a magic shop. I haven't been into Bernards, mainly because I am happy with the service at the Magic Store.

I am considering cheap bulk card purchases though, especially now I am keen(er) to start destroying cards by performing 'card warp' and similar routines (will probably buy some Queens Slipper to practice), and allowing spectators to sign and keep cards. I am purely an amatuer.

As far as slightly smaller cards are concerned: I am only a beginner myself, but I think the general advice will be - stick to Poker size decks, its all in the practice. I didn't entirely believe this myself at first, I have small fat(ish) hands, but spent an hour a day over Christmas practising the pinky count. Took weeks, but I can now do it (perhaps I am a slow learner).
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Where I live in mexico, there is no store to buy good cards.
As a matter of fact I am the only magician around.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
One word: impossible.

Long live the internet!

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
There's an "It's Magic" about a half hour from where I live, so from that perspective it's pretty easy. Now, finding the time to go there....that's a diferent matter altogether. Still easier for me to use the internet so far. I hope to go in person soon.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How difficult is it to get magic supplies where you live? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL