The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Telegraphing my classic palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I think my sleight of hand is progressing well for the amount of time I have been doing this (a few months). I can place a coin into classic palm quickly and smoothly from the fingertips most of the time, but not without sticking my thumb out while getting the coin in place.

Once the coin is palmed, I can hold my hand naturally, I just can't get it into postion without sticking out the thumb. It seems impossible.

Am I really telegraphing the move to laymen? Or only to people in the know?

Any suggestions to fix this?

Thanks
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
First off, Yes, people will notice the 'hitchhiking' classic palm. When the thumb sticks out, people will look at the hand, no matter how good your misdirection is.

A great resource for the classic palm would be either David Roth's Expert Coin Magic book, or his video. There are many tapes on videos that teach this, But David teaches the techincal aspects to perfection.

Tips on keeping a classic palm natural:

When placing the coin in classic palm, do not let the thumb come out of contact with you index finger. Sounds simple, but you'll be surprised how easy it is to forget this simple tip.

We had a lecture here from a great coin worker in my area of Toronto, practiced his sleights and routines to a great performance level, but his thumb stuck out every time he classic palmed the coin.

It stuck out, well, like a sore thumb.

At first you will find it a little difficult to push the coin into classic with your thumb and index together, (especially when you are not used to it), but with practice you will be able to do it naturally and without thinking, just keep at it.

Get the book or video suggested, you will not be disappointed.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi,
bluntly-- yes you are. They don`t know what you are doing but they know you are doing something.
Rest your thumb lightly against your first finger when practicing. That will cure it. Try to cover the palm by making a large movement with the hand, pick something up or push up your sleeve.
Just relax, we have all been through it.
Eddie
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Michael Ammar emphasizes this point in his Introduction to Coin Magic video/DVD
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Thanks guys, good advice. I'm working on fixing it. I'll get it eventually....and if not, well, all I have to lose is my sanity. Smile
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
My sanity is long since gone. By the time I become proficient at coins, it will be in a galaxy far, far away!!
Magic is fun!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Telegraphing my classic palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL