The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Landlord (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jeff
That was very entertaining, and Don Imus's name wasn't mentioned once.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
She was just like one of my former landlords, only a bit younger...

Lyndel
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
I laughed so hard when I watched this.
"When a performance is over, What remains"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 10:09, Al Angello wrote:
Jeff
That was very entertaining, and Don Imus's name wasn't mentioned once.
Al Angello
Don Who?

Will Ferrell crashes viral video world with wacky 'The Landlord'
By David Sarno
Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times

HOLLYWOOD -- Doesn't it seem like whenever enterprising amateurs pioneer a new artistic medium, pros have to come in and ruin it by making it better?

Last week, Will Ferrell became the latest "real" celebrity to star in a homemade-looking Internet video. "The Landlord" is a genuinely funny two-minute movie in which Ferrell plays a layabout who is accosted by his angry landlady. The catch: Pearl, the landlady, is played by a toddler who couldn't be more than 2. This wunder-infant does an amazing job of parroting the lines that an adult clearly has taught her moments earlier.

"I want my money!" she shrieks at Ferrell's character, then taunts him with a string of unprintable invectives.

Pearl's lines, including her explanation of why she needs the money so urgently -- "I need to get my drink on" -- are helpfully subtitled for the viewer.

After being posted two weeks ago on a new video site called FunnyOrDie.com, "The Landlord" quickly went viral. As of this writing, it was piling on tens of thousands of views every hour.

The obvious question, in an age when making your professionally produced video look DIY is a great way to grab attention (see lonelygirl15): Did Ferrell make the video on his own, or did he have industry backing? Is this just a new way for celebrities to mess around between gigs? Then again, that seemingly unprocessed appeal might be just what Hollywood's PR machine is trying to engineer.

Neither Ferrell's publicist nor a person associated with FunnyOrDie.com would comment on the origin of the "Landlord" video. "We just need a little time to get our stories straight," said a representative for FunnyOrDie.com, which describes itself only as a "collaborative effort of people in Silicon Valley and in Hollywood to create a venue for accomplished as well as aspiring comics to try out new ideas, experiment and generally have fun."

Whether a video such as Ferrell's is independently made or not, Jeff Stern, chief executive of the industry-friendly Net video site The Daily Reel, says there are going to be a lot more, chiefly because casual Internet video is a low-risk, high-reward venture.

"It's easy to do; it's fast; you don't have to go through a two-year development process in order to put something funny out that will get to a lot of people," Stern said. "You put something up that's three minutes long. If it works, great; if it doesn't work, it'll be overwhelmed by other things that do."

Earlier this month, Alanis Morissette's career got a boost after she posted on her Web site a low-budget parody of the Black Eyed Peas' "My Humps" -- the one where Fergie brags about how men buy her expensive gifts because they like her "humps" and "lovely little lumps."

Morissette's version keeps the lyrics and oversexed look of the Peas' original but replaces the song's pounding bass line with melancholy piano. The result casts an unflattering glare on the song's gratuitousness. The spoof has become YouTube's biggest hit this month, with more than 5 million views.

Let's say someone at Ferrell's level, with a major movie to promote, wanted to get together with friends and make a three-minute video. How many people's permission does he need to ask? As more celebrities and their handlers are lured by the exposure possibilities of a viral Internet hit, Hollywood's need for control of its content surely will bump up against the near-impossibility of controlling anything online.

Stern of The Daily Reel says that Hollywood is freaked by the unpredictability of viral video but that, until a better system comes along, there's only one way to ride.

"You put it up," Stern says, "and see what happens."
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Bob Clayton
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of Bob Clayton
Quote:
On 2007-04-18 09:43, Marvello wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cuddubU0Lp4

Apparently the video's been pulled. Too bad.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Here's another place you can view it:

http://sjl.funnyordie.com//v1/landing.php

Lyndel
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2490 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
The only thing funny about that video is the use of the kid insead of a grwn strung out woman, I really don't approve of teaching little ones to use hard language. Still it was funny.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I sure hope that kid isn't in the audience at one of my shows. "I know how you did that *****! I wanna refund *******!" Did I sensor that enough??

Mark
Mark Daniel
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
The video can also be found at http://funnyordie.com
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 23:30, Cliffg37 wrote:
The only thing funny about that video is the use of the kid insead of a grwn strung out woman, I really don't approve of teaching little ones to use hard language. Still it was funny.

I thought the same thing at first. But it really sounds as if she calls him an "actor" instead of an a-hole. I'm sure they did not teach that little girl to say the words that you were reading. If you watch it again, watch the editing and listen to what she says and not whats written.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2007-04-20 12:40, Lambertmoon wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 23:30, Cliffg37 wrote:

I thought the same thing at first. But it really sounds as if she calls him an "actor" instead of an a-hole. I'm sure they did not teach that little girl to say the words that you were reading. If you watch it again, watch the editing and listen to what she says and not whats written.

It's his daughter, you all know that? And the difference between her using them and any of you using them, is she doesn't know the meaning. It isn't like she will never hear those words. And besides, he is getting his daughter to act... It's just lines in a script.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Landlord (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL