The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Million dollar book test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enoch8776
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of enoch8776
Hi guys, I'm trying to get million dollar book test.
However, it seems to be not worth of buying from other people's reviews.

Does anyone knows the better version of million dollar book test or the same effect?
I'm trying to do it on school talent show that is coming up on May 25th.

Thank you guys!
Josh Zandman
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of Josh Zandman
Mother of all Book Tests - can be purchased pretty much at any dealer.

JZ
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The king of book tests is the Mother of All Book Tests, it is clean and very flexible.

But if you are doing it for a school talent show, I would recommend the Movie book from Double Feature (Larry Becker and Lee Earl) it is a full act with a very large and visual conclusion. The subject matter, movies, makes it applicable and relevant to most audiences as well.

Tony
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
MOABT (Mother Of All Book Tests) is one of the finest book-tests around for english speaking countries.

It should be also noted that MDBT (Million Dollar Book Test) was originally the name of another book-test created by the SAME author who released the MOABT: Ted Karmilovich.

And THIS latter MDBT has nothing to do with Ted's original MDBT and is also said to be a rip-off of the original MOABT.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
enoch8776
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of enoch8776
Thank you all for good info!

It seems like mother of all book tests will be good.
Is "Movie book from Double Feature" has the same effect of MOABT?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Yes, the effect is exactly the same: The performer reveals something that a spectator is thinking of.

Both use books to accomplish this effect as well.

The presentation, routining, and feel are different.

A description of the Movie portion of DF is below.
Quote:
Flip through The Century's 100 Classic Films to show that every page is different: each two-page spread lists details of a classic film and an image of its lobby poster. Your helpers slide bookmarks between pages to select three completely different films.
Opening the book to those pages, they secretly select a title, an actor, and an actress that they combine to make a unique fantasy flick. An envelope that's been in plain sight is opened and the contents shown and read aloud - just like at the Academy Awards!
It is a 100% accurate prediction of the random choices made! Can be repeated and the fantasy flick will be entirely different. As a kicker, your helper can freely select from among the thousands of production crew listed for all the films and you can reveal every detail of that name too!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Mother of all Book Tests is the closest to real magic you can get..BUT..Osterlind's Magazine Test is the best. The way the routine is structured is what makes me prefer this version because you don't just predict a word, you predict a word that they "almost" chose. I have seen MOBT performed a few times but the very first time I saw Oserlind's version, I thought "wow, she gasped when she saw that he crossed out a word and predicted another one."

I vote for Osterlind's version because the way entire routine is structure makes you think about why he crossed out a word and predicted another...and once the routine is at the climax, youre not just amazed, but you understand why he crossed out the word at the beginning
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

My only suggestion, consider your audience, venue, and your purpose.

The audience is an auditorium full of students; and the venue, a talent contest.

You will be competing against very visual and dynamic acts. There will be a lot of energy in the theater due to the music and the popularity of the other competitors.

If your goal is to show that you can read minds, any of the items mentioned in this thread will work.

If your goal is to entertain the audience (and possibly place well) then a presentation that is relevant, visual (as well as cerebral), and understandable by the entire audience is needed. This can be done with any of the items mentioned here, but comes prepackaged with only one. Regardless of what you choose, it will be a lot of work in a very short time period.

My advice, forget the opinions of everyone here, forget what is entertaining to you as a magician or mentalist. Consider what would entertain your fellow students.

On a side note, the contest will be won by a very popular and pretty young lady who will sing either a Celine Dion or Whitney Houston song.

Tony
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

In a situation like the one Tony just mentioned -

My experience would clue me to perform some dynamic Bank-Night plot OR some quick & energetic Chair Prediction Routine (peraphs with music!)

Just my thoughts on Tony's enviroment example above ...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
If you're doing a talent show then you should tell them to let you be one of the last performances and do you best to be one of the last to go up. People show up late and always remember the last ones they saw more vividly than the 1st one (unless the first one was REALLY good). If a lot of people are singing and using music (which usually happens in most talent shows)...then don't use music. You don't want to stand out from all the other performers so perform tricks that don't need music.

I would recommend doing two tricks. The first establishes who you are and your style and the 2nd should be the strongest effect you can perform. If you just perform 1 strong effect then it won't have the impact it should because that one effect would have to establish your style, get them to like you, get them use to your magic, and get them to feel the magic. As strong as I said the Magazine Test is, I would never use it as an opener because people would be more focused on who I am than the trick itself.

Benji
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
May I gently suggest that acquiring a new routine and performing it--presumably for the first time in public--is not the way to win a talent contest. Look at your repertoire, pick out something you've performed successfully many times and do that.

Bob
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2007-04-19 22:44, Bob Baker wrote:
May I gently suggest that acquiring a new routine and performing it--presumably for the first time in public--is not the way to win a talent contest. Look at your repertoire, pick out something you've performed successfully many times and do that.

Bob

I agree!

Buying a book test, or any effect and looking to perform it within 30+ days of a performance is rather risky, and might take a bit more experience, bravery,stupidy than one realises.

Mechanically learning a book test for example is rather easy; the possible exception to this rule being MOAB, if only because of the nature of the effect.

I would suggest strongly you stick with routines/effects that you already are proficient at. There'll be other days, other shows to do "that" book test.

Bombing at a book test,or any "major" effect, can erase whatever good you will have done.

It's true that ocassionally screwing up on an effect can make a mentalist "human" as opposed to the magician that never fails, but this is something that is done on purpose and, IMO, spairingly.

Good luck in any event with your show.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Is MILLION DOLLAR BOOK TEST a copy of MOABT? It does look very similar to WOW...
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
[quote]On 2007-04-18 18:23, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
MOABT (Mother Of All Book Tests) is one of the finest book-tests around for english speaking countries.

What booktest is best for non english speaking countries?

Ezzet
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-28 16:54, Ezzet wrote:

What booktest is best for non english speaking countries?

Ezzet

Any of my booktests. All of them are usable in any language!

But, if you ask me between the Million Dollar Book Test and the MOABT (both by Ted Karmilovich) I will have to answer you... Million Dollar Book Test.

Btw, I shared with Ted (and with a few other people) the USD Subtlety that I came up with for my own use and that I ALWAYS USE in conjunction with his Million Dollar Booktest. It makes that booktest just a little more impossible to backtrack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Million dollar book test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL