The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Anyone shim their own shell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
I wanted a shimmed shell, and since I have a few spares laying around, I figured I'd shim them, instead of forking over more money, lol. Anyone know a good way to do this for an expanded shell?
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

I've shimmed 2 shells and a Scotch and Soda using tin snips and the top of a tin can. But it's a very sharp edge so take care, use gloves etc.

Cut the top off a magnetic food tin into a rough circle, filed the edges, hammered it flat against a metal then wooden base, then used wet'n'dry to flatten it more. Stuck mine in with crazy glue.

It took me around 20 minutes per shim - works well with a Raven.

But you MUST get it perfectly flat and be careful it's a very sharpp edge (like a razor) when handling.

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I've made expanded shells but never a shim as I've never used 'em . How effective are they?
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi Padre rich,

Very effective - took a little experimenting and you've got to be good with handling metals/vice/files/wet'n'dry - I'm not a craftsman - but do a lot of samll precision mechanical stuff as a hobby.

I bought a scotch and soda that had a deeper shell than the insert - nice coin set - but when you pressed it together there was too big a gap - so I though I could put a shim in there to make it magnetic AND fill the gap.

Didn't take long (but I've the tools etc)....and make precision parts for a wide range of hobbies (R/C helicopters) so had no problem hammering flat (REALLY flat) shims) for the ideal fit.

Now I can use the scotch and soda (with added shim) with my magentic okito box, the raven and various magents sewn into things for stealing the coin.

Cost a fraction of a "proper" shimmed set - so I'm happy with the effect.

Mind you - it's all in the imagination for the application/effect you want.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
WhiteAngel
View Profile
Loyal user
West Virginia, USA
269 Posts

Profile of WhiteAngel
How did you Make expanded shells?
True illusionists strive to decieve the eye AND the mind.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Anyone shim their own shell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL