The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Dove into Pack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Hi,

Lets see if someone can help?

I had 4 doves, 1 died about 5 months ago leaving one without a pair, had been looking for a dove here in Miami for a while until a lady from a pet store called me said she had one- was almost positive I had a male lonely dove at home because it always flaped wings with other male pair (I think) - was not sure if dove in pet sore was female but got it anyhow as could not find one here for a while - and though now my other dove can have a companion.

New dove introduced to pack (new dove has a ring neck) other three don't
the previously lonely dove did not aoutomatically made friends with the new one
they flaped wings a lot, also the other dove from the good pair seems to bother the new one also -yesterday the good pair slept together as alwyas right next to each other on one perch, my old loneley dove slept one the other perch in the aviary as always and the new introduced dove slept in a perch at the bottom by itself.

Does this mean that the doves will never get along? Is it possible I have an incorrect gender match? Should I return dove back ? If a male and female dove are introduced are they suppose to make friends right away?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jaime, doves are like people. They can live together but there's no guarantee they will mate. If the two get close to each other and don't fight, then you most likely have a male and a female. Doves do prefer a little privacy so you might want to put the two of them in a new cage and see what happens.

Also, it's not entirely necessary that they mate. Unless you are trying to breed doves, it is perfectly fine for them to be alone as far as mating.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks guys - I felt bad and tried to get a companion for my apparently lonely dove- I think I'm gona keep it - hopefully they will be ok. My biggest fear is that my doves will always be attacking the new one .

Aslo any one has experiences with a ring neck? are they good to work with? - that's what I seem to have as the new dove

and one more bird for the COOOing !! but its ok !

:)

Jaime
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jaime, most of my doves are ringnecks and I haven't had any problems with them.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Seems like the other doves attacked the new one, got back home and it was sitting at the bottom of the aviary all still - I went to get it and didn't fight to get away- just stood there still- put it inside in another cage by itself- it seems as if his beak has dried blood or swollen and in the other cage is also still , closed eyes most of the times -looks like it gonna pass away?? hopefully not! and will be ok - but did not know doves can do this??

any advise?

Jaime
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jaime, it sounds like you new bird is a male. Males will not accept a new male in a small cage. Usually they will attack a new bird around the eyes and neck. If you don't see any blood or bare spots in those areas, then there is something else wrong with it. If the beak is not broken, then it might have just hurt itself trying to stay away from the other birds in a small space.

Is this the new one from the pet shop? It's very possible that the bird was ill when you got it. Keep an eye on it, keep it warm and make sure it has plenty of food and warm. There's no guarantee this will help.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Yeah put it in another cage- seems better now - but beak had a little drip of what seemed to be water? aviary its pretty big- funy thing is when they were in a smaller cage together they didn't attack as much. then I though it was ok to get then back in the aviary - but humm - beak was not like that before - think it was good when picked up from pet shop- but now is better - think should be ok.

are there times when doves will attack another dove until its dead?

don't think I should try and put them togher in other cage again ?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I suppose it could happen. The dominant dove will continue beating on the new one until it is bleeding and looses it's feathers. If there's noone around to break up the fights, then it could be seriously hurt.

Just keep an eye on it for a few days.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Thanks again Dave,

Dove seems a lot better now - hopefully pet store takes it back - if not will just let them have it for free. Smile

- not sure if I should try again -maybe take out the female from the good pair(if in fact a female) when I placed all 4 doves in smaller cage before -the new dove made friends with the female from the "good pair" they were even "kissing" if I'm correct- but maybe making other male jealous??

I think I'm gonna try leave the two previous males in the big avairay and then take out the female and bring her in with the new dove... hummmm

but if this works - don't think I will ever be able to have all 4 in the aviary ??

so maybe I should just take it back??

Ahhh!! I can't decide!!

Jaime
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Dove into Pack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL